Redirect, but no other styles

Karel Moen

Oct 2, 2015, 4:32:37 PM10/2/15
to Snarl Discussion
Hi Chris,

Sorry for spamming you ;)

In our environment, some servers have absolutely no human presence, but we want to use SNARL for its powerful redirects...

How do we stop all visuals and just perform a redirect? Is there a simple way to stop all notifications across all registered applications at once?

Chris

Oct 3, 2015, 4:23:13 AM10/3/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

There isn't right now but I will look at that - just need to figure out the best way to do it...

Chris
full phat products

Karel Moen

Oct 15, 2015, 4:28:44 PM10/15/15
to Snarl Discussion
One down, two to go ;)

I know I'm pushing my luck here, this is something we really want in the next formal release, but since you already did a lot of effort for my subscribe issue, I will let you in peace with this. The mouse hover is a really very low priority which can be fixed with this feature when included.

To elaborate a bit with some usage scenarios:

We need only visuals supressed on the generating system, and processed normally on subscribed and redirect destinations... Audio, TTS and such can remain unaffected on the generating machine... that at least is controllable.
  1. Virtual 'Panic buttons' won't float with visual notifications popping up on the generating system while a gun toting perp is peering over the user's shoulder.. Some sites have servers that has no interaction, so visuals are undesirable.
    • Complete, global suppress all visual styles will be handy here.
  2. Some sites have guards viewing locally, but another remote manager gets alerts of edge triggers via subscribe(now working good, thanks!). Occasionally these alerts must go unnoticed by the monitoring security guard, because he/she is also being monitored remotely by a manager.
  3. Sometimes there is no time to get a visual supressed with a mouse click, because everything is in real time in the surveillance environment. Guards don't always have input devices, so again, redirect must contain our event URL's, do TTS but nothing to obscure video cells on generating system.
    • Granular control will be a plus, so it should also be defined on a 'per application' level.. Since the guards are sometimes sleeping, we may want TTS (and a popup fist) only, but no huge visuals with event URL's obscuring video cells. As soon as we stick our URL's onto the message it becomes rather large.

Chris

Oct 15, 2015, 6:33:46 PM10/15/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

Ok, let me have a think.  Probably the quickest but hackiest way is to allow a zero duration in the settings which actually means "don't display".

By the way, if you want a custom build with different branding and reduced/specific functionality, we can look into that as well.  Maybe something for down the line though?

Chris
full phat products
__________________________
Twitter: @snarlhappens

Karel Moen

Oct 15, 2015, 7:14:43 PM10/15/15
to Snarl Discussion
Let me try that 0 display!

So far, I don't dislike anything in standard Snarl. And you deserve credit for the work ;) Snarl needs wider adoption, and that requires YOUR logo and branding on OUR stuff, which we are only too happy to do. What you should look at down the line, is:

  • Having settings, especially the 'periodically unregister' configurable during silent setup. We redistribute plenty snarl installs. We did a repack as you published here way back, but that setting doesn't work for us and require manual config. Its also not that feasible to reregister before sending each notification, because everything needs to be as close to real time as possible. According to our specs, our standard streaming server needs to cater for 32 high resolution IP cameras, recording, viewing and hosting of all services. That's a pretty tall order...
  • On a business note: Snarl needs to be free to gain wide support, but a 'powered by Snarl' is not an unacceptable requirement in the about box and similar places. We will comply without your requesting it ;)

Chris

Oct 16, 2015, 2:12:15 AM10/16/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

On 16 Oct 2015, at 00:14, Karel Moen <karel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Let me try that 0 display!

So far, I don't dislike anything in standard Snarl. And you deserve credit for the work ;) Snarl needs wider adoption, and that requires YOUR logo and branding on OUR stuff, which we are only too happy to do. What you should look at down the line, is:

  • Having settings, especially the 'periodically unregister' configurable during silent setup. We redistribute plenty snarl installs. We did a repack as you published here way back, but that setting doesn't work for us and require manual config. Its also not that feasible to reregister before sending each notification, because everything needs to be as close to real time as possible. According to our specs, our standard streaming server needs to cater for 32 high resolution IP cameras, recording, viewing and hosting of all services. That's a pretty tall order...
This is fine - I just need your requirements :) you're the first one with a low latency requirement so I can start to look into supporting that a bit more.  Ping me direct as well if that's easier.

  • On a business note: Snarl needs to be free to gain wide support, but a 'powered by Snarl' is not an unacceptable requirement in the about box and similar places. We will comply without your requesting it ;)

Oh yes, I did toy with a paid-for support model but I can't commit to that.  With regards "powered by" or "made for" stickers, I do like what IFTTT have done here and I would love to see products doing that but, again, I don't want to mandate it.

Karel Moen

Nov 13, 2015, 5:52:51 PM11/13/15
to Snarl Discussion
Hi Chris, setting the timout=0 or duration=0 makes the popup sticky, making the 'Duration' in the UI 0 seems to have no effect. Please assist.

Chris

Nov 15, 2015, 3:47:54 PM11/15/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

Evening

Take a look at the usual URL.  Should be a 46.93 zip in there now.  Install this and add the following to your snarl41.config:

override_osd=1

This should do what you want such that redirects and network forwards will work but nothing will be displayed on-screen.  From an API perspective applications will receive an error (SNARL_ERROR_COULD_NOT_DISPLAY) which may cause some applications to behave oddly, although this probably won't cause you an issue.

This is very untested so please give it a good try out before deploying it to your clients.  There is no UI equivalent for this setting and it overrides any other UI settings - which is probably what you want.

Cheers

Chris
full phat products
__________________________
Twitter: @snarlhappens

Chris

Nov 21, 2015, 2:47:53 AM11/21/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

Did this get tested?  Any feedback?

Chris
full phat products
__________________________
Twitter: @snarlhappens

Karel Moen

Nov 21, 2015, 9:02:25 AM11/21/15
to Snarl Discussion
Hi Chris,

Apologies for the delayed response, time is a luxury this time of the year ;)

I can confirm that your fix is indeed working correctly. Only critical issue now is that snarl still crashes occasionally when subscribing, I updated that post with new information...

Chris

Nov 21, 2015, 9:08:13 AM11/21/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

Good stuff - will work on the spurious crashes next.

Chris
full phat products
Twitter: @snarlhappens