Snapboard Visual Overhaul

1 view

Sam Sutch

Jun 14, 2008, 3:23:43 PM6/14/08
to snapboard-discuss
Hello fellow snapboard/django programmers, users and maintainers!

I've been working for the past little while on a massive visual
overhaul for snapboard. To check out a test version I've got running
(debug mode et all), log in with happytest/123456 here:
http://beta.samuraifilms.org/snapboard/ So far I've completed:

* Thread Listing - http://beta.samuraifilms.org/snapboard/threads/
* Thread Display - http://beta.samuraifilms.org/snapboard/threads/id/3/
* Profile Page (viewing and editing) - http://beta.samuraifilms.org/snapboard/profile/
* New Thread - http://beta.samuraifilms.org/snapboard/newtopic/
* Fleshed out several views (re-wrote the profile one) and fixed 10ish
bugs (haven't been keeping track). Made several views much faster.
* Rewrote all the javascript interface stuff using jQuery.
preview_post is now available to any form you want! (as a jQuery
plugin)
* Ported the layout from yui grids to blueprint.
* Added some more detailed profile fields.
* Logo? http://tinyurl.com/4cnael Designed just this morning. Could
use some more work.

Stuff I've yet to do:
* Category Listing/Display
* Finish porting revision browsing to jQuery.
* Wtfsafari Rendering Bug (it's all, "no rounded corners," but then
adds, "only sometimes.") And of course some IE stuff.
* There's a lot more. I have plans! Kind of. Private posts. Umm...

There's more, I just can't remember it right now! I've been taking it
in small chunks and making day long sub-project sprints that consist
of programming and cigarettes, and no food or showering or people. ;-)

What'dd you think? Will it work with snapboard? Does it fit with the
design philosophy? I'd like to imagine this work some day helping
snapboard along. I'd like to see some successful redistributable
applications for Django. A forum software would be a great place to
start. Perhaps a working blog... An app distribution method by the
smart guys who run django!? Who knows!

Sam Sutch

Bo Shi

Jun 16, 2008, 11:07:39 AM6/16/08
to snapboar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam -

Very nice work! I'm glad that you're eager to contribute back. I'm
thinking it might be nice to design some sort of theming framework so
that we can start adding contributed themes, JS libs, etc.

This could start out, perhaps, as simple as being able to specify a
template prefix for snapboard applications. Instead of current
hard-coded "/snapboard/" template prefix, one could specify in some
settings attribute "/snapboard/themes/samurai/". We could move the
current template directory to something like
"templates/snapboard/themes/default/".

The media files and CSS would also need some sort of settings value.

(sorry for the delayed reply - was interwebless for the weekend).

Bo

Sam Sutch

Jun 17, 2008, 4:11:05 AM6/17/08
to snapboard-discuss
Bo,

I indeed have plans for making both the current theme more extensible
(right now it's not very, in fact, it's kind of locked down, no
worries though, just need to consolidate the CSS into something
more... simple, smaller--all in time), as well as a theming framework.
Installable zips would be a rather easy feat to accomplish, with a
theme uninstaller being nearly as easy. I'm also going to compress the
thread listing more, it's annoyingly huge now, if you ask me. The
theming framework is however further in the future than a few other
items on my list (which I'm somewhat adamant about committing to
verbatim in public).

In the future (within a few months) I'll make a more universally
likable theme, something more concrete, hopefully to become the
default theme. I really like the Lussumo Vanilla theme, as well as
many of their 3rd party themes, but I always spread my own margarine
over anything I design. The current template set in trunk is pretty
much unusable now as I've made that many changes.

I have plans to integrate django-app-plugins for plugin support.
django-messages for private messaging (should be the first plugin,
kind of an eating your own dog food thing). django-notification to
handle all the notifications and django-mailer to handle the
distribution of those notifications.

This morning I integrated django-registration. It works from trunk
with no modification, simply add it to your installed apps and
blam(!), registration. Considering making it a plugin after I get that
rolling. Need to figure out a way to handle URL's with plugins without
using another routing layer. Should be easy, might just require a
restart of the app to refresh the generated tree from a model, or
something. Just thinking out loud here, on a few tats of wiskey, no
less, really this is still a little way into the future.

I hope to have the source ready to go soon. How do you want to handle
that? There's a shit ton of changes. One by one? All at once? Branch?

Sam