Gap penalty aligner

Stephan Lorenzen

Sep 4, 2015, 6:11:59 AM9/4/15
to SNAP Users
Hi,

SNAP (1.0beta18) announces -G for single end reads (specify a gap penalty to use when generating CIGAR strings) in the help; however in a test I saw no effect and in the source code only a setting of a variable in AlignerOptions.cpp. Is this feature planned for the future? Will it have any effect on the alignment chosen (e.g. in case of equal edit distance) of just on the CIGAR string generated for some given match?

Thanks,

Stephan

Bill Bolosky

Sep 4, 2015, 2:31:01 PM9/4/15
to snap...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I’m working on it.  I’d forgotten that I’d let that get into the main branch, it must have tagged along with some other changes.  As far as I can tell, SNAP’s main source of inaccuracy is that it’s incorrectly calling short indels near the ends of reads.  It only does this if that’s the only way to get the smallest possible edit distance, but sometimes it’s still not what you want, hence the affine gap edit distance computations.

The idea is to allow it to be used both for CIGAR string and also for alignment depending on other command line options.  I worry a little that using it in alignments might have a noticeable performance penalty, since that would go right in the heat of the main  loop.

The bad news is that I haven’t had a lot of time to work on it lately, so I’m not sure when it will be ready and I wasn’t planning on making any announcements about it until you found that switch.

Stephan Lorenzen

Sep 5, 2015, 3:33:05 AM9/5/15
to SNAP Users
Dear Bill,

thanks for the quick answer! Go on with your great work; I am eagerly awaiting the new version :) I think gap penalty would be worth the price of a slight performance decrease.

Best,

Stephan