Anyone know how to disable thermal shutoff on AlphaServers?

Trent Nelson

Feb 3, 2009, 2:48:46 AM2/3/09
to snakebi...@googlegroups.com
Wild shot in the dark... I noticed this a few weeks ago whilst
logged in to the AlphaServer ES40:

#
Broadcast Message from ro...@neon.msu.snakebite.org (???) at 7:06 ...

The system temperature is high. Possible reasons are
a clogged air filter or a high ambient room temperature.
The system will shut down in 6 minutes and 0 seconds..
# sysconfig -q envmon
envmon:
env_current_temp = 255
env_high_temp_thresh = 50
env_fan_status = 0
env_ps_status = 0
env_supported = 1
# uptime
07:07 up 43 mins, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

#
Broadcast Message from ro...@neon.msu.snakebite.org (???) at 7:10 ...

The system is now operating at a safe temperature.
The system shut down will be aborted.
# sysconfig -q envmon
envmon:
env_current_temp = 21
env_high_temp_thresh = 50
env_fan_status = 0
env_ps_status = 0
env_supported = 1

This seems to be happening a lot. The `env_current_temp` value of
255 seems like a value you'd expect from a failed sensor. Anyone
have any idea as to how this auto-shutdown can be turned off?

Trent.

Titus

Trent Nelson

Feb 3, 2009, 2:59:40 AM2/3/09
On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 07:48:46AM +0000, Trent Nelson wrote:
> Trent.
>

> Titus

Oooeer. That's a thinker.

Trent Nelson

Feb 4, 2009, 2:53:02 AM2/4/09
to snakebi...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 07:48:46AM +0000, Trent Nelson wrote:

> This seems to be happening a lot. The `env_current_temp` value of
> 255 seems like a value you'd expect from a failed sensor. Anyone
> have any idea as to how this auto-shutdown can be turned off?

Nicholas Riley followed up in private and suggest setting an
override for the high temperature threshold, which I did via:

# envconfig -c ENVMON_HIGH_THRESH=300
ENVMON_HIGH_THRESH = 300
Environmental Monitoring Daemon started.

Now, although `sysconfig -q envmon` still reports the threshold
as 50 (env_high_temp_thresh), apparently setting an override via
envconfig manually forces envmond to use the new value. Related:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/unix/erp/BU040211_EW01.html

Cheers Nicholas!

Trent.