SMT Improvisation Interest Group – 2023 Annual Meeting Details

sean.r....@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2023, 2:38:57 PM11/1/23
to SMT Improvisation Interest Group
Dear members of the SMT Improvisation Interest Group,

Short version of this email:

  1. Our meeting will take place on Saturday, November 11 from 7:30–9:30pm M.T.

  2. Please prepare a question for our discussion of Leslie Tilley’s book, Making It Up Together

Long version of this email:

The annual SMT Improvisation Interest Group meeting will be held at AMS/SMT Denver on Saturday, November 11, from 7:30pm–9:00pm in  Grand Ballroom I.

During our meeting, we will discuss Leslie Tilley's (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) excellent 2019 book Making It Up Together: The Art of Collective Improvisation in Balinese Music and Beyond, which won the 2022 SMT Emerging Scholar award.

While Andrew and I will moderate the discussion, we ask that you please come prepared with a question or comment to share about the book (if you have some time ahead of the meeting). Our discussion will focus on Chapters 1 and 4, which establish models and methodologies for analyzing improvisation and collective creativity in a wide variety of musics. We encourage you to consider how Tilley's frameworks may apply to or intersect with your own research, and how they may shape conversations about musical improvisation more generally.

If you have any questions about the meeting, please don't hesitate to contact one of the chairs of the group. Contact info, as well as the agenda for this year's meeting, may be found on our interest group's website

We hope to see you in Denver!

Best wishes,

Sean Smither (chair) and Andrew Malilay White (vice-chair)

SMT Improvisation Interest Group

sean.r....@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2023, 3:14:19 PM11/3/23
to SMT Improvisation Interest Group

Dear members of the SMT Improvisation Interest Group,

First, please note that the location of our meeting has changed; it was originally scheduled to be held in Grand Ballroom I, but will now be held in Silver. The time/date is still the same: Saturday, November 11, from 7:30pm–9:00pm

Second, we are thrilled to announce that Dr. Leslie Tilley (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), author of Making It Up Together: The Art of Collective Improvisation in Balinese Music and Beyond, will be able to join us via Zoom for the discussion.

While Andrew and I will moderate the discussion, we ask that you please come prepared with a question for our author.

Our discussion will focus primarily on Chapters 1 and 4 of the book, which offer models and methodologies for analyzing improvisation and collective creativity in and between a wide variety of musics and establish a shared language for the analysis of improvisation across cultures.

We hope to see you there!

Best wishes,

Sean Smither (chair)

SMT Improvisation Interest Group