Google Gadget released

Greg Tracy

Apr 17, 2011, 4:56:27 PM4/17/11
to smsmyb...@googlegroups.com

Hey... I just released a Google Gadget that uses the API. I wrote a blog post on the API resource page that describes how to use it...

From the technical side, it's pretty straight forward. I use two API calls - getarrivals - to get real-time arrival estimates for the specified stop, and then I call - getstoplocation - to get the address for that stop to make the results a little more readable.

Feel free to add it to your Gmail account.

Cheers.

Greg

C Bracewell

Apr 17, 2011, 5:44:04 PM4/17/11
to smsmyb...@googlegroups.com, Greg Tracy
Totally great. Thanks, Greg!

--
----
API Docs : http://www.smsmybus.com/api/

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/smsmybus-dev?hl=en?hl=en

C Bracewell

Apr 17, 2011, 6:12:52 PM4/17/11
to smsmyb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,
Do you have any notion of what controls the vertical height of the widget? I see three arrivals, the change stop field, then about 2 inches of white space before the next sidebar item.

Also, have you tried it as a gadget added to Google Calendar? I can't make that work, but would love to as I don't have a Gmail window open all the time, but I do have a Calendar. I keep clicking Add in the calendar gadget sidebar for "Add gadget by URI" to no effect.

Thanks for your work on this, very promising.

And I'd love to work with you and Larry on the Geolocation pickup.

Carol

Greg Tracy

Apr 17, 2011, 6:22:20 PM4/17/11
to smsmyb...@googlegroups.com
wow. i didn't know you could add custom gadgets to calendar...

i just added the metro gadget and it worked although the vertical spacing appears limited in this view so the bottom is chopped off. i'll need to spend some time later to look at this.

which URL are you using when you set the gadget in the calendar?

not sure about the white space... there may be a minimum height in the gadget, but i'll look into it.

cheers.

greg

C Bracewell

Apr 17, 2011, 7:52:40 PM4/17/11
to smsmyb...@googlegroups.com
They appear to work differently. Screen shot atttached of tall gmail gadgets. You same URL with my local stop number works fine. The Calendar gadget thing should work the same way but appears not to for me. Screen shot of that window, which I am hoping I can move to the left sidebar under the Other Calendars listing.

Thanks

Carol
Screen shot 2011-04-17 at 4.59.18 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2011-04-17 at 6.51.42 PM.jpg

Greg Tracy

Apr 17, 2011, 8:22:26 PM4/17/11
to smsmyb...@googlegroups.com
When I clicked the 'Add' button in the calendar version, the gadget appears directly underneath in the right-hand column.

Greg

Greg Tracy

Apr 18, 2011, 12:45:17 PM4/18/11
to smsmyb...@googlegroups.com
Overwhelming enthusiasm for the gadget - thank you!

I'm looking into two issues (as time permits me). First, the vertical spacing is flat out broken. I need to better understand why it isn't auto-expanding like it was designed.

Second, as I look at the server load this morning, I need to do some more performance tuning. Until this work is finished, could you do me a favor and limit the number of active Metro gadgets in your Gmail account to one? By all means, don't stop using it, but if you could use the "change stop" feature inside the gadget to view new stop data rather than adding multiple gadgets that would help.

Cheers.

Greg