What old firmware for old Smoothieboard V1 with 100 MHz MCU?

bcabebe

Jul 29, 2020, 7:36:31 AM7/29/20
to Smoothieware Support
I'm borrowing a MakerFarm Prusa i3v printer from a friend, and he has this extra Smoothieboard V1 5X I'd like to try and use.  When I load a recent version of the firmware onto the board and then issue a Version command via USB, I get the following response.

"Build version: edge-bdb141f, Build date: Jan 12 2020 10:21:20, MCU: LPC1768, System Clock: 100MHz 5 axis
NOTICE: This MCU is deprecated, and cannot guarantee proper function"

Does anyone know what version of firmware, by date or commit #, that was last known to work with the 100MHz MCU?

Thanks,
Brian

Arthur Wolf

Jul 29, 2020, 8:16:52 AM7/29/20
to Smoothieware Support
Note there isn't a guarantee it'll break in your case. It's going to depend heavily on the exact config.

I recommend you attempt using the latest firmware ( and config file, important ).

And if at some point you start experiencing weird bugs/crashes that you can't explain, you can come back here and I'll walk you through getting older firmware and figuring out where we started considering 120Mhz a requirement.

勇気とユーモア

Arthur Wolf

Jul 29, 2020, 8:18:25 AM7/29/20
to Smoothieware Support
Oh, also even if you do get the bugs, there are solutions you can try that doesn't require using older firmwares, such as decreasing the look-ahead queue's length, or reducing the base stepping frequency to a value lower than 100k.
--
勇気とユーモア

wolfmanjm

Jul 29, 2020, 8:34:08 AM7/29/20
to Smoothieware Support
The latest version will work fine. The only difference is you get that message when you do version command.

The warning is mainly for chinese clones that are using couterfiet MCUs and bad mosfets for heating.

bcabebe

Jul 29, 2020, 3:53:36 PM7/29/20
to Smoothieware Support
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll continue with the latest firmware and verify I'm using the latest config file.  I'll come back if I run into any further issues.

-Brian