Disable Stepper Motors not working

Kevin Hicks

Jun 28, 2022, 11:43:32 AM6/28/22
to Smoothieware Support
When we try to use the M18 to disable the motors it works for one move but right after if we try to move the same axis again it will start moving. Is there something we can do differently to get the motors to disable until we enable them, and can we disable just one motor and not all of them?

wolfmanjm

Jun 28, 2022, 6:23:52 PM6/28/22
to Smoothieware Support
No, that is how it is supposed to work, as soon as you issue a move all motors will be enabled.
You can disable one motor or all of them using the standard M commands. But any move after that will re enable them.

If for some odd reason you actually needed to disable a motor permanently you could add some external H/W and use a switch command to disable a motor, an example of this is in the wiki for self leveling platforms.
See HOMING A MULTI-MOTOR AXIS under https://smoothieware.org/switch