delta z probes

Randy Rue

Aug 17, 2022, 2:00:11 PM8/17/22
to Smoothieware Support
Hello All,

I'm running a homebrew delta that originally used a smoothieboard. That died and I switched to Ramps/Marlin for a couple of years until that also failed and I was never happy with the performance/resolution so I switched back to a genuine smoothieboard.

I've had FSR sensors under the glass and an FSR controller (https://github.com/JohnSL/FSR_Endstop) since I built it and they worked great under the first board and the Ramps. But with the new board it's a crap shoot whether the printer can complete a G31 probe of the glass. Sometimes it completes but more often on one of the 'taps' it just grinds down into the glass without seeming to know it touched even though I can see that the led on the FSR controller goes red.

I've double checked that nothing else is using the pin (1.28) that the FSR controller is using. I even replaced all the FSRs, controller and cables between everything from the FSRs to the smoothie board.

I'm about out of ideas. Any help?

Randy in Seattle

wolfmanjm

Aug 17, 2022, 2:05:15 PM8/17/22
to Smoothieware Support
Are you sure you have a "genuine smoothieboard"? I have used these FSRs and once the sensitivity is setup correctly and the glass on top is not restricted too much they worked pretty well (although very hard to initially get them to work).

The reason I ask is that many of the clone smoothieboards had bad components and produced very odd results, and this sounds like that to me.

Arthur Wolf

Aug 19, 2022, 9:36:07 AM8/19/22
to Smoothieware Support
I don't have many ideas either, can you try using a different pin and see if it makes any difference? I don't expect it to, but if it does we might have learned something.
Maybe somebody else will have an idea.

勇気とユーモア