Moving but not moving when im printing.

Tafel Dekker

Mar 4, 2023, 6:04:55 AM3/4/23
to Smoothieware Support
Hello All.

My stepper motors are making a hissing sound. I have therefore adjusted the currend settings down. This worked a bit. Now when i move the laserhead around there is now problem. Also when homing, frame everything works well. This tells me that everything is connected properly and the drivers are still good. But when I want to print, the laser seems to be stuck. He seems to get current because of the small movements he makes. But it doesn't move. I have restored the original settings. still the same problem. I made a video of it and put it on youtube:

Im using lightburn and have a V1 board for more than 2 years now. Always works fine.

Has anyone had the same problem ore know where i can find some answers? is This maybe more a ligtburn ore computer problem than a smoothieware issue? any advice is welcome.

THANKS
config

wolfmanjm

Mar 4, 2023, 8:10:17 AM3/4/23
to Smoothieware Support
Hissing is perfectly normal for stepper motors, as well as getting fairly hot when powered. I suspect you have set you current too low and the steppers no longer have any torque.

I recommend you set the current back to where it was or at about 75-80% of the max rated peak current for your motors.

Also try a different host, although Lightburn produces excellent gcode its host mode is not really geared towards controlling a smoothie. You can use several other programs like bCNC, proterface, octoprint or the one specifically written for Smoothie is Smoopi https://github.com/wolfmanjm/kivy-smoothie-host

wolfmanjm

Mar 4, 2023, 8:12:35 AM3/4/23
to Smoothieware Support
Also your max actuator speeds are way too high for a K40, in my tests anything over 100mm/sec (or 6000mm/min) is too much for them and they stall. (YMMV).

Tafel Dekker

Mar 5, 2023, 6:40:01 AM3/5/23
to Smoothieware Support
THANKS wolfmanJM
I Will start playing with your advice :)
Greetings
Bart

Op zaterdag 4 maart 2023 om 14:12:35 UTC+1 schreef wolfmanjm:
Message has been deleted

Tafel Dekker

Mar 18, 2023, 12:16:50 PM3/18/23
to Smoothieware Support
I've been playing with the speed settings. Unfortunately without result. I have formatted the SD card. Unfortunately no result. Then I unplugged everything from the smoothie board. Pressed the buttons of the smoothie board (no idea what they are for) and connected the power again. Then everything connected again. Now the laser works perfectly. Thanks again for you advice and good luck with the development of the V2 board.
Greetings Bart