Simple Suggested Change in "Set Home" command

Dakota Pahel-Short

May 28, 2017, 9:47:21 PM5/28/17
to Smoothie-Dev
Hey,

I'm doing a rather large print that a person commissioned in a rush. It was requested 4 days before he wanted it and it was estimated to be a 3.5 days print by the slicing software... which is known to underestimate. So I upped the speed and did a few other things to make this print come out fast as possible. It worked up to about 65% done and decided to fail. Now without time to reprint I did the next logical thing, I split the model at the measured height of failure and cut a new file and then re-zeroed on top of the failed print and started to print. This is where I ran into a problem:

Of course they had different bounding boxes so the new file was shifted in the XY axis. No big deal. I used the LCD screen to go back to the new zero and do a measured offset off. However the "Set Home" command from the LCD appears to round to the nearest integer for the X and Y axis. So the print is shifted off by .25 for the Y-axis... which is hardly noticeable but off by .5mm in the  X-axis, which doesnt look great... but they need this print for a competition a day from now and beggars cant be choosers when you give someone so little notice.

I know a little bit about coding... unfortunately not enough to load the smoothieware into an ide make a change and then flash it but enough to guess that the function for "set home" is giving an int instead of a... float for the X and Y axis?

I know its a bit of an obscure issue with the firmware but if someone who knows how to look into that... or better yet do you have a page somewhere in the wiki that explains how to get smoothieware into an ide like i'm five or something..? I'm doing grasshopper scripts for a custom material manufacturer to make their CADing parametric instead of manual so I at least know i like solving logic challenges and I started picking up C++ last semester cause I wanted to mod this firmware in the future so it wouldn't be a complete waste of time showing me the way.

Thanks

Wolfmanjm

May 28, 2017, 10:21:21 PM5/28/17
to Smoothie-Dev
No you are incorrect, all parameters are floats not ints. I suggest you look more closely at the source code.
and I am not sure what you mean by 'set home' function.

Dakota Pahel-Short

May 31, 2017, 12:39:17 PM5/31/17
to Smoothie-Dev
well like i said in my post i dont actually know how to look at the source code... "... or better yet do you have a page somewhere in the wiki that explains how to get smoothieware into an ide like i'm five or something..?"

im just making an observation based on what happened. I moved it 3.55mm on the x axis and 6.75mm in the y axis, pressed "set home" and after homing the delta, the lcd displayed 4 for the x and 7 for the y and shifting of the print was off by close to .5mm in the x and .2mm in the y so something is rounding to the nearest integer.

and when using the lcd, under "prepare", the third command from the top is: "set home"

Arthur Wolf

May 31, 2017, 4:19:53 PM5/31/17
to Dakota Pahel-Short, Smoothie-Dev
Hey.

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Dakota Pahel-Short <dako...@gmail.com> wrote:
well like i said in my post i dont actually know how to look at the source code... "... or better yet do you have a page somewhere in the wiki that explains how to get smoothieware into an ide like i'm five or something..?"

You can find the source code at https://github.com/Smoothieware/Smoothieware , the documentation points at it many many times, and the documentation also includes lots of information on how to retrieve, compile and modify the code.

Courage et bonne humeur.

Wolfmanjm

May 31, 2017, 6:57:57 PM5/31/17
to Smoothie-Dev
Set Home on the LCD does not do what you think it does that is why you are confused.

'Set Home' issues G92 X0 Y0 Z0, so you need to understand what Workspace coordinate systems are and what G92 does. I f you don't then don't use that function.

'Set Home' is probably not the best name for that function either, it should be something like 'Set 0,0,0' or 'touch off XYZ'

Wolfmanjm

May 31, 2017, 6:58:57 PM5/31/17
to Smoothie-Dev
Nothing is rounding to the nearest integer, you simply do not understand what Set Home does.

Dakota Pahel-Short

Jun 20, 2017, 10:04:27 PM6/20/17
to Smoothie-Dev
Setting 0,0,0 was exactly what I was using it to do but thank you for telling me what I do and do not know. I'll have to test it again when I am done with my new micro dc extruder.