implementing ros(robot operating system) with smoothie-board

jazzy sehgal

Sep 9, 2022, 7:01:28 PM9/9/22
to Smoothie-Dev
Hello,

Is it possible to interface smoothie-board with Ros to give commands to control the positions of the robot?

I am using Opentrons OT-1 pipetting robot which has smoothie-board v1 micro-controller in it

From,
Jazzy(jay)

Arthur Wolf

Sep 9, 2022, 7:02:35 PM9/9/22
to jazzy sehgal, Smoothie-Dev
Can ROS send commands (G-code) over serial?

勇気とユーモア

jazzy sehgal

Sep 9, 2022, 7:37:30 PM9/9/22
to Smoothie-Dev
I was using Python API to send it commands

jazzy sehgal

Sep 9, 2022, 8:35:36 PM9/9/22
to Smoothie-Dev
To be more detailed

I'm using a Opentrons OT-1 pipetting robot which implemented using smoothie board ( a CNC controller) containing G-codes for it to move.

-Opentrons developed a Python API where I could send python scripts to control the robot.

-now I'm trying to create ROS infrastructure where I can connect smoothie-board with raspberry pi and install ros on it to achieve pipetting and add other modules like object detection, temperature control etc. Can we achieve this infrastructure with ros despite smoothie-board being a CNC machine?

some links for background
-http://smoothieware.org/smoothieboard-v1
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBu9XAkfj_s

Arthur Wolf

Sep 9, 2022, 9:17:34 PM9/9/22
to jazzy sehgal, Smoothie-Dev
As long as ROS lets you send serial data, you should be fine, there's really no limit to what you can do as long as it lets you do that.
You probably want to look at ROS documentation or ask their mailing list, I'm not very familiar with it but maybe somebody else here is.
I'm pretty sure I've already talked to people who were doing exactly this.

--
勇気とユーモア