[DISCUSS] Release Smooks 2.0.0

Claude

Jun 20, 2020, 7:44:23 AM6/20/20
to Smooks Development
I propose we release Smooks 2. This major release introduces the DFDL cartridge and revamps its EDI cartridge, while dropping support for Java 7 along with a few other notable breaking changes:

* DFDL cartridge
    * DFDL is a specification for describing file formats in XML. The DFDL cartridge leverages Apache Daffodil to parse files and unparse XML. This opens up Smooks to an incredible number of file formats like SWIFT, ISO8583, HL7, and many more.
* Complete overhaul of the EDI cartridge
    * Rewritten to extend the DFDL cartridge and provide much better support for reading EDI documents.
    * New functionality for serialising EDI documents.
    * As in previous Smooks versions, incorporated special support for EDIFACT.
* Independent release cycles for all cartridges and one Maven BOM (bill of materials) to track them all
* License change
    * After reaching consensus among our code contributors, we've dual-licensed Smooks under LGPL v3.0 and Apache License 2.0. This license change keeps Smooks open source while adopting a permissive stance to modifications.
* Numerous dependency updates
* Maven coordinates change
    * We are now publishing Smooks artifacts under Maven group IDs prefixed with "org.smooks".

There are two known issues in the EDI and DFDL cartridges but I don't think they should hold up their release:

The last issue is particular serious because the DFDL cartridge isn't streaming in terms of parsing. A workaround is suggested but for EDIFACT it cannot be applied due to the way the generated DFDL schemas are structured.

Claude

Tom Fennelly

Jun 23, 2020, 6:31:03 PM6/23/20
to smook...@googlegroups.com
Hi Claude.

I'd be inclined to release 2.0.0 and follow with patch releases if and when needed.

Regards,

Tom.

Claude

Aug 12, 2020, 7:02:27 AM8/12/20
to Smooks Development
Given the PRs I'm opening which break the API, I say we put this on hold and instead release a milestone (i.e., 2.0.0-M1) instead.

Claude

Tom Fennelly

Aug 12, 2020, 11:48:39 AM8/12/20
to smook...@googlegroups.com
The changes to use CDI are the ones that concern me most. Not sure how best to verify these changes properly before releasing. The milestone release certainly does provide that opportunity, assuming we can get people to try it and send feedback.

Claude Mamo

Aug 13, 2020, 4:50:13 AM8/13/20
to smook...@googlegroups.com
I'm in the process of releasing 2.0.0-M1 and will soon post a release announcement.This intermediate release won't include changes in PR 320 but the next release milestone will.

Claude