Nashville

Jack Waiboer

Feb 7, 2012, 5:21:46 AM2/7/12
to SmokeRing BBQ
Hey Gang,

I’m heading to Nashville for a few days.  Are there any must do’s or gotta have’s in Nashvegas?  I know Phil just got back from a trip there.

Jack W.
Charleston, SC

John Bertoldi

Feb 7, 2012, 6:59:18 AM2/7/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
You have to do the Ryman.  Then cross the alley and go to Tootsy's.  After you leave there walk out the front door and go down a couple of doors to Legends.  If you like country music, they say the Hall of Fame and Museum is nice and that is just a block or two away.  And if you are a musician, just head the other way down the street from Tootsy's and you have to go to Gruinn (sp) guitars.  I don't think they will let you up to the famous second floor unless you are a serious consumer.  Too many tourists.  For the rest, just let your feet, your ears, and your imagination lead you.

From: ja...@sc.rr.com
To: smoker...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [BBQ] Nashville
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 05:21:46 -0500
Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch

Frank Boyer

Feb 7, 2012, 7:37:16 AM2/7/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

If you have some time go 90 miles south and see Uncle Jack in Lynchburg.

Frank

Bryan Foltz

Feb 7, 2012, 10:24:01 AM2/7/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I'll send you a list later today! I'm heading to class now, but there are TONS of things to do. I'd start by checking the website  http://365nashville.com/ .

Heck, here are a few ideas. Please note that my list is based on things I've done with my kids, but I'll try to add a few also.

Las Paletas (gourmet popsicles!) This is close to Corner Music, Frothy Monkey, and Fish & Company. They beat Bobby Flay in a throwdown.

Cheekwood great place to visit.

Adventure Science Center: my kids love this place! Very hands-on

Nashville Zoo

Pancake Pantry fun place for breakfast, be prepared to stand in line. If you've never been, you should go once. I prefer Noshville myself.

Noshville another great breakfast place, other meals served also (have not tried them other than breakfast–yet)

Mediterranean Cuisine near Vanderbilt, good food. I cannot find a web site for them but here’s a review NOW CLOSED.

Cheeseburger Charly’s Good burgers. Web site is down, but this chain was started by the son of O’Charley’s founder (article). The location near Vanderbilt is gone now.

Anatolia Turkish Restaurant Good hummus, great place to eat. Very fun. Try the stuffed eggplant dish.

Goha Ethiopian Restaurant One of our favorite places. Try the sampler plate. This links to the urbanspoon review as they do not seem to have a website. Note that this is an interesting place--if you decide to go, drop me an email and I'll try to describe it. Great food.

Cafe Rakka Mediterranean Food, Featured on Diners, Drive-In’s, and Dives. Excellent. GO HERE if you like Mediterranean!

Fish & Company Best salmon I’ve had since moving to TN. This restaurant replaced The Blind Pig but is owned by the same group.

Frothy Monkey. Nice coffeeshop not far from Fish & Company. Great atmosphere, good coffee.

Corner Music Not a restaurant–a music store. Lots of guitars. Ask for Jason.

Two Old Hippies: This is a clothing and guitar shop, pretty cool. If you play, check out the vault!

Taco Mamacita is a neat Mexican place--fascinating tacos. Right across the street is a nice coffee shop, one of my favorites. I cannot recall the name.

There are lots of spicy chicken shacks in Nashville. I've not been--they're generally not great places to take kids.

Melting Pot. I have not been but it's supposed to be good.

Lots of music venues! (Dang I need to get a weekend babysitter...)

Cooter's. Yes, from the Duke's of Hazzard...

Personally I'd suggest a walk downtown, around the Vandy area. You can stop at Pancake Pantry along the way.

There's a nice wine shop behind pancake pantry...next to it is a little convenience store with a good selection of beer. Not sure if that's of interest.

If you need a place to stay on the cheap, try Scarrett Bennet. If you're interested let me know and I'll explain why they're cheap!

Sorry, gotta run!!!

Bryan Foltz

Feb 7, 2012, 10:25:28 AM2/7/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
There's supposed to be a great bbq place also--with HOT sauce. I'll see if I can get the name. I have not been there, so it's not on my list.

Bryan Foltz

Feb 7, 2012, 10:26:13 AM2/7/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Oh, the Parthenon  http://www.nashville.gov/parthenon/  is very worth visiting.

Bryan Foltz

Feb 7, 2012, 11:47:54 AM2/7/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
just a few more then I'll quit:

I have not done these, but Belle Mead is on my list
tour the Yazoo Brewery  http://www.yazoobrew.com/
Belle Mead Plantation  http://www.bellemeadeplantation.com/

Also, another restaurant Blackstone  http://www.blackstonebrewery.com/ . This is a good solid choice--the tuna sandwich is good. It's not at the top of my list just because it's not that unusual. When we go out, I want something different.

I realize many of the items I sent are restaurants--I tend to have lists of places we've gone that are good, or bad, to share with others.

If you don't want to hit the country music area, try Cheekwood. It's a mansion turned into museum and gardens. Was built by Maxwell House coffee fortune--it's quite fun. You could spend the day wandering around there.

Oh, if you enjoy guitars, tour the Gibson factory. Another item on my to-do list...

A visit to the Gaylord Hotel is always fun--even if you don't stay there, just walk around a bit. It's near the Opry.

Bryan

Sherman Watkins

Feb 7, 2012, 1:02:21 PM2/7/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
If you want something way, way different.  I need someone to track down the burial plots of my gg-grandparents somewhere around Nashville.  <g>

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch

--
Sherm
Smoking in Montana's Banana Belt

Bryan Foltz

Feb 7, 2012, 1:08:07 PM2/7/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Oh, there's an old fort by the adventure science center--nice place to visit. There are others in the area too. I enjoy doing that sort of thing, and have taken the kids along (not sure they enjoy it so much...)

There are some museums also downtown.

phil wingo

Feb 7, 2012, 1:50:07 PM2/7/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
bros cajun, is a great stop.
princees fried chicken,boltons fried chiken,lovless is good . pucketts is good also
when you going jack?

Bryan Foltz

Feb 7, 2012, 7:43:50 PM2/7/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

I've been to the Franklin pucketts. Personally I was not happy with the experience but it was a breakfast buffet...so that could be the problem.

-bf

phil wingo

Feb 7, 2012, 10:22:06 PM2/7/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
i went to the one downtown . my whole group had the buffet . i order of menu
it was good . do not like there gravey thought
pw

Jack Waiboer

Feb 8, 2012, 5:05:17 AM2/8/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I’m going this weekend.  It’s a working weekend so I won’t have much time to tour.  I might have some time Friday and again Saturday night.  I hope to be entertained by Nashville’s finest marketing minds...

Frank Boyer

Feb 8, 2012, 5:12:15 AM2/8/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Hit the Ryman . Go upstairs and check out the old costumes.

Frank

phil wingo

Feb 8, 2012, 6:38:16 AM2/8/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
princess ,boltons,bros are most for me
pw

phil wingo

Feb 8, 2012, 7:27:11 AM2/8/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
at bros ,get the boudan balls (sausage balls panko ) smoked pork chop and a sampler plater
pw

Feb 8, 2012, 9:42:40 AM2/8/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
It really depends on what you enjoy. If I only had a few days, I'd suggest Pancake Pantry for breakfast and Goha, Anatolios, or Cafe Rakka for dinner, although those dinner choices are not typical Nashville spots -- they're just darn good. You can't miss with a trip to the Ryman.

If you enjoy guitars, and if you're rushed: visit Corner Music, then drive down the street a few blocks for dinner at Fish & Company. Enjoy dessert there (try the ice cream and fresh fruit plate--light and good--don't give the ice cream to kids however--it's alcoholic...) or drive down the street for dessert at Los Palates (yes they're that good) or at the Frothy Monkey. Those are all on the same street.

If you've got anyone with you interested in shopping for clothes, take them to Two Old Hippies. They can look at clothes and stuff, or browse guitars in the vault.

Have fun! It's a great place to go hang out. My wife spent three years of weekends at Vandy earning her doctorate. The kids and I went with her on a third to a half of those trips just to play (thus the kid-centric list). There are lots of fun things to do.

Bryan

Bryan Foltz

Feb 8, 2012, 9:44:49 AM2/8/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
We took the kids shopping for school clothes in Franklin and stopped at Pucketts for breakfast. We had the buffet. I knew it was a mistake but did it anyway. I was not really happy with it. If we go back I'll avoid the buffet. Nothing was bad, it just wasn't worth the calories or cost.

BuzzD

Feb 8, 2012, 10:11:53 AM2/8/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
On 2/8/2012 8:44 AM, Bryan Foltz wrote:
. Nothing was bad, it just wasn't worth the calories or cost.

the story of so many buffets!!� And when you order off the menu at some places with a buffet they fill the order from the steam tables

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:22 PM, phil wingo <ph...@tailgatecharters.com> wrote:
i went to the one downtown . my whole group had the buffet . i order of menu
it was good . do not like there gravey thought
pw

You have to do the Ryman.� Then cross the alley and go to Tootsy's.� After you leave there walk out the front door and go down a couple of doors to Legends.� If you like country music, they say the Hall of Fame and Museum is nice and that is just a block or two away.� And if you are a musician, just head the other way down the street from Tootsy's and you have to go to Gruinn (sp) guitars.� I don't think they will let you up to the famous second floor unless you are a serious consumer.� Too many tourists.� For the rest, just let your feet, your ears, and your imagination lead you.
�

capta...@comcast.net

Feb 8, 2012, 10:38:32 AM2/8/12
to Smoke Ring
Hey Jack,
Sounds like fun. As I write, I'm in meetings to develop a marketing strategy for the coming year. Stuck in the middle of nowhere, Wisconsin, so looks like cheese soup at a local joint is my best option for food this week.

From: "Jack Waiboer" <ja...@sc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 05:05:17 -0500

BuzzD

Feb 8, 2012, 1:50:44 PM2/8/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
On 2/8/2012 9:38 AM, capta...@comcast.net wrote:
. Stuck in the middle of nowhere, Wisconsin, so looks like cheese soup at a local joint is my best option for food this week.

Cheese soup is good---and what part of Wisconsin is Nowhere located??

Sent on the Sprint� Now Network from my BlackBerry�

princees fried chicken,boltons fried chiken,lovless is good . pucketts is good also
when you going jack?

You have to do the Ryman.� Then cross the alley and go to Tootsy's.� After you leave there walk out the front door and go down a couple of doors to Legends.� If you like country music, they say the Hall of Fame and Museum is nice and that is just a block or two away.� And if you are a musician, just head the other way down the street from Tootsy's and you have to go to Gruinn (sp) guitars.� I don't think they will let you up to the famous second floor unless you are a serious consumer.� Too many tourists.� For the rest, just let your feet, your ears, and your imagination lead you.
�

Merrill

Feb 8, 2012, 8:21:41 PM2/8/12
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
On 2/8/2012 12:50 PM, BuzzD wrote:

>> . Stuck in the middle of nowhere, Wisconsin, so looks like cheese
>> soup at a local joint is my best option for food this week.
>
> Cheese soup is good---and what part of Wisconsin is Nowhere located??

Camp/Conference center in Camp Lake...only 20 miles from the Brat Stop,
but I only have an hour between meetings for meals.