Hot Sauces - Cooks Illustrated

Bill Martin

Feb 5, 2010, 1:47:21 PM2/5/10

Kevin Cleek

Feb 5, 2010, 2:48:38 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I like Valentina, from Mexico. Water, chiles, vinegar, salt, spices.
$2.49 a liter at the local Meximart.

Kevin

Bill Martin wrote:

> http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=10047&Extcode=L0BN1BA00

> --
> Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
> http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch

Glenn Middendorf

Feb 5, 2010, 2:57:27 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Cholula chipotle!!!

Glenn
www.hogtiedbackyardbbq.com

Don Ketelle

Feb 5, 2010, 2:59:48 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

No self respecting Texan is going to listen to a bunch of Yankees when it comes to hot sauce!

Don in Texas – who has too many Yankee relatives that think ketchup is hot

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=10047&Extcode=L0BN1BA00

Jon Stine

Feb 5, 2010, 3:02:42 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I like Valentina (have two jars at work), but my neighbor introduced me to Poblano sauces out of Tucson which are my current favorite (esp. Salsa Ranchera)

http://www.acaciart.com/galleries/poblano/

Jon

J Perrigin

Feb 5, 2010, 3:21:36 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
OHHHHHH! That I like!!! My wife called from NYC and said she just tried a
chipotle sea salt that was amazing. They were in a grocery called Dean and
Dalucas, I think.

-Jason in Dickson TN
She was in there looking for me a gift or two. ;-)

ni...@parkaq.com

Feb 5, 2010, 3:24:13 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I'm partial to LLajua an ancient Aymara (Andean)recipe which today you can make quite easily. The original calls for a chili pepper you don't find in the states but a kinda close cousing is a jalapeno

1 part tomato 1 part HOT jalapeno (I like the red jalapenos best though green will do) a little sea salt and you're done.

I slice red onions and when the steak is hot off the Parked Q I put the onions on top the meat add Llajua and start scarfing.

Llajua is also most awesome slapped on a bit of french bread and is to me the healthiest and best topping for a baked potato. I gave up butter and other heart cloggging stuff in favor of all the meat I can eat -- of the grill of course :)

Having said that this works for all but mexican food for which we rely on HOT Chunky Pace.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Feb 5, 2010, 3:28:19 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
hey jason nice pic in the bullsheet

J Perrigin

Feb 5, 2010, 3:30:41 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Phil. I had forgotten that Kelly was going to put those in there and
hadn't looked through this months Bullsheet. Maybe the next time she's in
there, she'll be holding a trophy and some cash. ;-)

-Jason in Dickson TN

I was stunned when I moved back here from SoCal.  I didn't even know extra mild salsa existed.  Here it makes up half the salsa section in the store.  I assume it is somewhat akin to the liquid in a can of canned tomatoes.

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch

--
Sherm
Smoking in Montana's Banana Belt

Kevin Cleek

Feb 5, 2010, 3:38:40 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
When I was a kid, there was something called "Snyder's Chile Pepper Catsup."

It was a family favorite!

Kevin

Don Ketelle wrote:
> No self respecting Texan is going to listen to a bunch of Yankees when
> it comes to hot sauce!
>

> Don in Texas � who has too many Yankee relatives that think ketchup is hot
>

> http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=10047&Extcode=L0BN1BA00

Kevin Cleek

Feb 5, 2010, 3:39:31 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I suppose this means we can put politics aside to agree on condiments?

Kevin

Jon Stine wrote:
> I like Valentina (have two jars at work), but my neighbor introduced me
> to Poblano sauces out of Tucson which are my current favorite (esp.
> Salsa Ranchera)
>
> http://www.acaciart.com/galleries/poblano/
>
> Jon
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Kevin Cleek <kjc...@earthlink.net
> <mailto:kjc...@earthlink.net>> wrote:
>
> I like Valentina, from Mexico. Water, chiles, vinegar, salt,
> spices. $2.49 a liter at the local Meximart.
>
> Kevin
>
> Bill Martin wrote:
>

> http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=10047&Extcode=L0BN1BA00
> <http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=10047&Extcode=L0BN1BA00>
> <http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=10047&Extcode=L0BN1BA00
> <http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=10047&Extcode=L0BN1BA00>>
>

> benedicti oscombro
>

> "holy mackerel"
>

> --

> <mailto:SmokeRingBBQ%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/SmokeRingBBQ?hl=en
> Visit The Smoke Ring website http://www.TheSmokeRing.com
> Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
> http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch
>

> --

> <mailto:SmokeRingBBQ%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Gerry Curry

Feb 5, 2010, 3:44:16 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I found the original Cholula and really like it. Haven't seen the chipotle version. I'd really like to try that. I have the Tobasco chipotle and it's OK.

On 2010-02-05, at 3:57 PM, Glenn Middendorf wrote:

Cholula chipotle!!!

Robert King

Feb 5, 2010, 3:45:02 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Extra mild? Isn't that called "water"?

Robert King

Glenn Middendorf

Feb 5, 2010, 3:48:29 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
If you like original you will love chipotle!!!

Glenn

ni...@parkaq.com

Feb 5, 2010, 4:02:36 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Sheman your desciption is acurate and made me visualise tomato can water diluted with potato water

To me mild salsa is like decaf cofee or alcohol free beer, or pepsi - just plain wrong!

But then again what would you expect from a charcoal wood purist who would never grill with gas sides with coke in the cola wars and eats both brown and green m&m's

Life's too short to eat fake food

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: Sherman Watkins <tankw...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:36:39 -0700

jper...@earthlink.net

Feb 5, 2010, 4:10:39 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I like the chili garlic cholula, but can't find it anymore.

From: Gerry Curry <ge...@currysystems.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 16:44:16 -0400

Jon Stine

Feb 5, 2010, 4:36:41 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Well I suppose that depends on if you are a red label fan or a black label fan. ;)  I see from their website that I am missing out on a sauce called Tamazula ... need to track that one down.  Seems like it is the same sauce.

http://www.salsavalentina.com/products

Jon

brooklynq

Feb 5, 2010, 4:52:58 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Bullsheet won't make it up to NYC for at least another week, but now I know I have something to look forward to.

phil wingo

Feb 5, 2010, 5:02:05 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
got mine yesterday & nat. bbq news on wed.

Bill Martin

Feb 5, 2010, 5:53:39 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
aa capture.jpeg

Bill Martin

Feb 5, 2010, 5:56:07 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 5, 2010, at 2:38 PM, Kevin Cleek wrote:
> When I was a kid, there was something called "Snyder's Chile Pepper Catsup."
>
> It was a family favorite!
>
> Kevin

Now, gone from the U.S. and owned by a Canadian company. If you google diligently, you'll find the link and they do mail order.

However…. I just mix a little of my dried capsicum frutescens.

Bill

Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend.
......Inside of a dog, its too dark to read.
.....Groucho

ni...@parkaq.com

Feb 5, 2010, 6:23:16 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing Bill. There are many varieties and sizes colors and heat signatures of Bolivian Locotos. Brings up memories from when I was a very little kid putting a pepper the size of a small cherry in my soup bowl and after a minute of steeping, like tea, the soup was super spicy. Can't remember what those they were called. My grandma always had them in a bowl on the table so guests could liven up their plates to taste and of course grandpa dared me to eat em.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Feb 5, 2010, 6:44:50 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
The best hot sauce I've ever had is from the Florida Avenue Grill in
Washington, D.C. They have a green jalapeno sauce that is flavorful with a
great bite. I just used the last I have on a bowl of bean soup. I need to
see if they sell mail order. If you are in Washington and like southern food
the Florida Avenue Grill should be on your list of places to eat. Great food
with an interesting history.

Florida Avenue Grill
1100 Florida Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20009
Phone: (202) 265-1586
http://floridaavenuegrill.com/

Bruce
mailto:br...@bdbbq.com

Kevin Cleek

Feb 5, 2010, 5:01:53 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I'll have to look for that stuff. If one really wants a unique
condiment, one can try El Yucateco, Salsa Kutbil-Ik.

http://www.saucenspice.com/elyucatecoxxxtrahotsaucehabanero4oz.aspx

I can get it locally for the same price or a bit less. You want hot,
you got it!

Mega good!

Kevin

Jon Stine wrote:
> Well I suppose that depends on if you are a red label fan or a black
> label fan. ;) I see from their website that I am missing out on a sauce
> called Tamazula ... need to track that one down. Seems like it is the
> same sauce.
>
> http://www.salsavalentina.com/products
>
> Jon
>

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Kevin Cleek <kjc...@earthlink.net
> <mailto:kjc...@earthlink.net>> wrote:
>
> I suppose this means we can put politics aside to agree on condiments?
>
> Kevin
>
> Jon Stine wrote:
>
> I like Valentina (have two jars at work), but my neighbor
> introduced me to Poblano sauces out of Tucson which are my
> current favorite (esp. Salsa Ranchera)
>
> http://www.acaciart.com/galleries/poblano/
>
> Jon
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Kevin Cleek
> <kjc...@earthlink.net <mailto:kjc...@earthlink.net>

> <mailto:kjc...@earthlink.net <mailto:kjc...@earthlink.net>>>

> wrote:
>
> I like Valentina, from Mexico. Water, chiles, vinegar, salt,
> spices. $2.49 a liter at the local Meximart.
>
> Kevin

Glenn Middendorf

Feb 5, 2010, 8:38:14 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Funny I have a bottle of that in my pantry not opened, I purchased it at local Mexican shop last month. It is a 12 & 1/2 oz bottle for $1.29 have to try it tommorow! I had never heard of it before but like cholula so much I thought I would try it!

On Feb 5, 2010, at 2:48 PM, Kevin Cleek <kjc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

I like Valentina, from Mexico. Water, chiles, vinegar, salt, spices. $2.49 a liter at the local Meximart.

Kevin

Bill Martin wrote:
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=10047&Extcode=L0BN1BA00 <http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=10047&Extcode=L0BN1BA00>
benedicti oscombro
"holy mackerel"

Bill Martin

Feb 5, 2010, 8:45:04 PM2/5/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 5, 2010, at 5:23 PM, ni...@parkaq.com wrote:
> Thanks for sharing Bill. There are many varieties and sizes colors and heat signatures of Bolivian Locotos. Brings up memories from when I was a very little kid putting a pepper the size of a small cherry in my soup bowl and after a minute of steeping, like tea, the soup was super spicy. Can't remember what those they were called. My grandma always had them in a bowl on the table so guests could liven up their plates to taste and of course grandpa dared me to eat em.

Yup. Variety of Rocoto.

Bill

When I was kidnapped, my parents snapped into action. They rented out
my room. -- Woody Allen