Fried Ham

1 view

Jack Waiboer

Dec 30, 2010, 9:18:52 AM12/30/10
to SmokeRing BBQ
Hey Gang,

Anybody ever fried a cured ham like you would a turkey?

Jack W.
Charleston, SC

Kurt Lucas

Dec 30, 2010, 9:41:56 AM12/30/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

LOL. You are at least semi-joking I hope.

Kurt

BuzzD

Dec 30, 2010, 10:43:52 AM12/30/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
On 12/30/2010 8:18 AM, Jack Waiboer wrote:
Hey Gang,

Anybody ever fried a cured ham like you would a turkey?

well the closest I have ever done is maybe when I put a hamburger in a Frydaddy one time--was kinda messy IIRC

Jack W.
Charleston, SC

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch

Bruce Cook

Dec 30, 2010, 10:50:50 AM12/30/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Jack

I have read about deep frying prime rib. I want to try that someone. My thought on deepp frying a ham is that it would dry out by the time the meat is cooked unless you were deep frying thick ham steaks.

Bruce
br...@bdbbq.com

Dec 30, 2010, 8:54:15 PM12/30/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Hey Danny,

A co-worker said he did it at Thanksgiving.  He fried the turkey first then dropped the ham in next.  He told me it was fantastic.  I’m going to give it a try when I get a chance.  I’m sure your grease is shot for when you finish, but it might be pretty cool to try.

Danny Gaulden

Dec 30, 2010, 9:09:44 PM12/30/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Jack,
Don't think it will totally kill your grease.  You can probably use it a few more times without a doubt.

Danny
.

Gary Maines

Feb 4, 2011, 10:08:37 PM2/4/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Bought a package of beef short ribs from Sams...look great and allot of meet..

Problem is I never smoked them before....

Any advise on temp and time???

Thank you for your help..

Gary Maines

Smoking in the Hills of Riverside

will syrup

Feb 4, 2011, 11:24:08 PM2/4/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
This is a good place to start.

Gary Wiviott

Feb 4, 2011, 11:44:26 PM2/4/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

David Theimer

Feb 4, 2011, 11:53:28 PM2/4/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I cooked Beef SHORT Ribs before, and have pulled them after 2 to 3 hrs at the most. U don't want Beef Jerky on a stick, but it's up to ur discresion on when u think they're ready.

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch

--
David Theimer
Houston, Tx
www.smokindavesbbqreview.info

Jon Stine

Feb 5, 2011, 1:38:29 AM2/5/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

I would braise them, and then finish in a good gravy. Serve over noodles with some Tabasco, and you are eating good.

Jon

On Feb 4, 2011 9:01 PM, "David Theimer" <theimo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I cooked Beef SHORT Ribs before, and have pulled them after 2 to 3 hrs at
> the most. U don't want Beef Jerky on a stick, but it's up to ur discresion
> on when u think they're ready.
>
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Gary Wiviott <wivio...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Garry Howard has a nice tutorial on beef ribs
>> http://www.thesmokering.com/BeefRibs/default.jsp
>>

>> --
>> http://www.lowslowbbq.com/

Lucy Baker

Feb 5, 2011, 1:28:17 PM2/5/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
That's what I did last weekend.  It was fantastic!!!  The only difference was serving with mashed potatoes to sop up the juices.  I'll definitely do that recipe again.
Lucy

Gary Maines

Feb 17, 2011, 11:06:38 PM2/17/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Headed to New Orleans Saturday for 1 week.  Will be staying around The convention center.

Anyone have a suggestion on a good Q place???

Thanks,

Gary

Smoking in the hills of Riverside

Robert King

Feb 17, 2011, 11:19:46 PM2/17/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Your gonna be in New Orleans! Q would be the last thing I would be looking for <G>

Robert King

Dave Farrell

Feb 17, 2011, 11:39:27 PM2/17/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Don't look for Q in N.O..  You should enjoy the cajun and creole food and seafood.  The gumbo and etouffee and breads and shrimp and oysters.  Too good to pass up.

Dave

From: gmaine...@worldnet.att.net
To: smoker...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [BBQ] New Orleans
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 20:06:38 -0800

tmorro never knows

Feb 18, 2011, 12:08:41 AM2/18/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
And whatever those doughnuts are....forget the name...ymmm

From: gmaine...@worldnet.att.net
To: smoker...@googlegroups.com
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 20:06:38 -0800

Headed to New Orleans Saturday for 1 week.  Will be staying around The convention center.

Anyone have a suggestion on a good Q place???

Thanks,

Gary

Smoking in the hills of Riverside

Visit The Smoke Ring website http://www.thesmokering.com/

Dave Farrell

Feb 18, 2011, 12:20:16 AM2/18/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
tomorro,
begniets or something like that, pronounced been-yeas, along with chickory coffee

Dave

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:08:41 -0800
From: tmorro_ne...@yahoo.com
To: smoker...@googlegroups.com

tmorro never knows

Feb 18, 2011, 12:23:46 AM2/18/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
yes!  There's a place down by the water....that was a good morning.

Paul

Sent: Thu, February 17, 2011 9:20:16 PM

Frank Boyer

Feb 18, 2011, 12:39:32 AM2/18/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Commander’s Palace for Sunday brunch, Herbsaint for one dinner, Central Grocery for Mufalatas, Mother’s for red beans and rice on Monday. Forget BBQ in NO. Go to the restaurants on this list. Call me.

Frank

By: Colleen Rush
New Orleans Food

http://www.neworleans.com/imagesnov/food/james_beard.jpgNew Orleans | High fives and shoulder bumps to the New Orleans semifinalist nominees for the James Beard Foundation Restaurant and Chef awards. Finalists will be announced on March 21. The awards ceremonies take place on May 6 and May 9 in New York City.

Best New Restaurant: Mondo (900 Harrison Avenue, 504. 224.2633)

Executive chef/Owner Susan Spicer, chef de cuisine Cindy Crosbie

Outstanding Chef:

Donald Link, Herbsaint

(701 Saint Charles Avenue, 504.524.4114)

Outstanding Restaurant: Herbsaint (701 Saint Charles Avenue, 504.524.4114)

Outstanding Pastry Chef: Beth Biundo, Lilette (3637 Magazine Street 504.895.1636) Outstanding Service:

Brigtsen’s (723 Dante Street, 504.861.7610)

Emeril’s (800 Tchoupitoulas St, 504.528.9393)

Rising Star Chef: Sue Zemanick, Gautreau’s (1728 Soniat Street, 504.899.7397)

Best Chef: South

Scott Boswell, Stella! (1032 Chartres Street, 504.587.0091)

Aaron Burgau, Patois (6078 Laurel Street, 504.895.9441)

Adolfo Garcia, RioMar (800 South Peters Street, 504.525.3474)

John Harris, Lilette (3637 Magazine Street, 504.895.1636)

Tory McPhail, Commander's Palace (1403 Washington Ave., 504.899.8221)

David Solazzo and Torre Solazzo, Ristorante Del Porto (501 East Boston Street, Covington, 985.875.1006)

Covington, LA

Stephen Stryjewski, Cochon/Butcher (930 Tchoupitoulas Street, 504.588.2123)

--

image003.jpg

Dave Farrell

Feb 18, 2011, 12:50:02 AM2/18/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
tmorro,
There you go, check Frank's list.  I would also consider a few others like Diamond Jim Moran's, K-Pauls, Sam's Shrimp and Oyster bar (late nite snacks),  La Louisiane,  and Tony's on the Bayou (out near Lake Ponchatrain).  All excellent choices.

Dave

From: fran...@surfnetc.com
To: smoker...@googlegroups.com

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:39:32 -0800
image003.jpg

John Shotsky

Feb 18, 2011, 12:51:15 AM2/18/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

I wouldn’t miss a roast beef po’boy on any trip through NO. Have heard the quality has been changing over the years, but Parasol’s seems to still be a good place to get one. Let us know if there’s a better place now.

Regards,

John

Feb 18, 2011, 7:42:16 AM2/18/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Gary - I think NOLA is one place I can go and not worry about looking for Q because EVERYTHING else there is so fantastic! We like ACME Oyster Bar, Mr. B's Bistro, Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse (all in the Quarter) and Pascal Manale's (uptown in the Garden District, but just off the street car line) but there are grilled oysters, muffaletta's and po-boys on almost every corner that are fantastic. Don't limit yourself to Bourbon Street - its tourist tacky - but explore the parallel streets between Bourbon and the river. Tons of little shops, coffee shops, sandwich shops, restaurants and bars. It could take a few days just to get from Bourbon Street to the river!

Have a great trip and you could road trip to The Shack over near Biloxi if you had a serious hankering for some BBQ.

Pat

ingeb...@aol.com

Feb 18, 2011, 9:12:37 AM2/18/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
To those places already named add: Mother's and any restaurant owned by John Besh, like August, La Provence, Besh Steak and he has couple of others.

Bryan Foltz

Feb 18, 2011, 9:27:04 AM2/18/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Another vote for Acme. Here's a list I put together after going there for a conference a couple years ago.

Michaul’s Mardi Gras Headquarters

840 St. Charles Ave.
(504) 522-5517

(provided a party for the conference planning committee).

Huck Finn’s Cafe
135 Decatur St
(504) 529-8600

Good food. Right around the corner from conference hotel. Good muffaletta sandwich (not the best place, but convenient. They stopped serving food fairly early and turned into a bar, but again not bad).

Acme Oyster House
724 Iberville St.
(504) 522-5973

Eat here! Really enjoyed it.

Arnald’s Remoulade Restaurant
309 Bourbon Street
(504) 523-0377

Cafe Du Monde
800 Decatur St
(800) 772-2927

You MUST go here for breakfast. (This is the place with begniets  by the water)

Boudreaux’s Backyard
516 Bourbon St
(504) 267-5353

I don’t remember much about it…might be where I had a quick lunch, or might have been the place my old friend Gerry and I ate dinner.

Felix’s

across the street from Acme. Good place!

Also see the following:

Enjoy the trip! Wish I could go...

If you absolutely MUST have some 'cue, get some bbq'd shrimp.

Oh, last time I was there, I was sitting in the hotel lobby waiting for a friend when I overheard a fascinating telephone conversation. A lady (probably a colleague that I have not yet met) was chatting away on her cell phone very loudly, complaining that there was absolutely nothing healthy to eat in New Orleans and that everything was fried and there were no salads even...I tried really hard not to laugh...after all, it's New Orleans!

Bryan

Robert King

Feb 18, 2011, 10:08:05 AM2/18/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
My wife would NEVER eat any thing to do with the ocean until she went there for a work conference. Not even shrimp. She went before the hurricane and was able to attend the jazz fest (heritage fest?). She kept calling me telling me how good the crawfish etouffee is, shrimps, you name it! She went to K-pauls, Cafe Du Monde etc. Even the small places or street corner stuff was excellent. I love BBQ but cajun/creole food is what got me started cooking when I was a lad.

I've never been there and I'm jealous!

Robert King

gmaine...@att.net

Feb 18, 2011, 12:17:58 PM2/18/11
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all. Will try a bunch of them.

From: Bryan Foltz <fol...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:27:04 -0600