Old Recipe

Jeffery Jachna

Sep 3, 2022, 10:49:03 PM9/3/22
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Years ago I got a recipe on the porch that Kurt posted. It was a brine for chicken that included alot of citrus. I remember it had lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruit squeezed into the brine, it also called for a block of ancho paste.  My daughter asked about it recently since she really liked that chicken. I looked through my files and can't find the recipe. Does anyone have a copy of it they would share. It has probably been at least 15 years or more since I got that recipe.
Thanks in advance
Jeff

spe...@knology.net

Sep 3, 2022, 10:57:49 PM9/3/22
to smoker...@googlegroups.com

Someone requested some recipes for chicken. Here is an original recipe I came
up with years ago. It is the only one I use for chicken. I use it for both
grilling and smoking. The chicken comes out very tasty either way. Enjoy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kurt's Pollo Achiote

Recipe By : Kurt Lucas
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sauces And Rubs

3 oranges
1 grapefruit
3 limes
2 lemons
1 bottle Corona beer
3 tablespoons New Mexican Chile -- ground
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
1 teaspoon cumin, roasted and ground
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons oregano
3 tablespoons Achiote Paste
1 tablespoon kosher salt

Mix it all together and marinate your yardbirds in it overnight.
The next day, smoke as you normally would (I like using oak and
mesquite) and use the marinade as a mop. Experiment with this
as my ingredients change with my mood, but it always draws raves.
I have an annual 4th of July party at my house and do 24 chickens
like this and have been told these are the best my guests have ever
tasted.

NOTES : Achiote paste is available in latin american markets
Achiote Paste is ground annato seeds with other spices.

Kurt Lucas
Salem, OR

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Smoke Ring BBQ List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smokeringbbq/CH0PR04MB811422BE56573A8D644AC2A8947C9%40CH0PR04MB8114.namprd04.prod.outlook.com.