Amazon.com: EdgeCraft 610 Chef's Choice Premium Electric Food Slicer: Kitchen & Dining

Bill Martin

Dec 26, 2010, 2:24:38 PM12/26/10
Anyone have any comments on this home slicer?

Reviews tend to be very good compared to other machines I looked at.

I got a couple nice amazon Gift Certs for Christmas, and have been thinking of getting another slicer.  (The one I had before was the old, original Rival, YEARS ago.  Gave that one away awhile back.)

Can't afford even a used Hobart…  But for the use I'd get this is about the right size, and reviews look good.

Anyone have one?  Whaddaya think about it?

<http://www.amazon.com/EdgeCraft-610-Choice-Premium-Electric/dp/B0002AKCOC/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I10X9PMUNSIKV6&colid=2R371RS0W7CKJ>

Bill

Don't anthropomorphize computers.
They hate that.

Bill Martin

Dec 26, 2010, 3:44:15 PM12/26/10
to acook...@yahoogroups.com, “BBQSmokering“, billsk...@yahoogroups.com
My old Rival was OK…  but the blade was too small, and taking it apart for cleaning was a REAL hassle.  The reviews on this one say cleanup is a breeze.  I'd like it if someone on one of these three lists has one….  and can give some "real time" feedback.  Right now I'm inclined to go with my gut in buy this one.

Bill

On Dec 26, 2010, at 2:05 PM, John Shotsky wrote:

I have the 630, and like it a lot. I got it used, but you'd never know it. The only small gotcha is where the slices
fall. I ended up getting a small plastic tray that I place to catch the slices. It's one of those throwaway trays that
cheese, etc, comes on. Bought sliced cheese/meat at Costco, found the tray works perfectly, so it stays with the slicer
now. I assume the 610 is very much like it - they look the same. It is too big for us to keep on our counters, so it's
in a plastic bag in the garage until I decide to make something that will need slicing. Quite a bit of cleaning needed
afterwards, but I guess any slicer would.

Regards,
John
Recipe formatting tools:
http://recipetools.gotdns.com
Beaverton WeatherCam:
http://shotsky.gotdns.com

Anyone have any comments on this home slicer?

Reviews tend to be very good compared to other machines I looked at.

I got a couple nice amazon Gift Certs for Christmas, and have been thinking of getting another slicer. (The one I had
before was the old, original Rival, YEARS ago. Gave that one away awhile back.)

Can't afford even a used Hobart. But for the use I'd get this is about the right size, and reviews look good.

Anyone have one? Whaddaya think about it?

<http://www.amazon.com/EdgeCraft-610-Choice-Premium-Electric/dp/B0002AKCOC/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I10X9PMUNSIKV6&
colid=2R371RS0W7CKJ>

Bill

Don't anthropomorphize computers.
They hate that.

I'm reminded of a sign seen on the kitchen wall of a commune back in the 60s: "If you care about it, it's your responsibility."

Lucy Baker

Dec 26, 2010, 5:08:19 PM12/26/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Bill,
I have a Krups that is a total pain in the butt to use and clean.  I'd go with your gut on this one.  158 5star reviews says a lot.  And you can't beat the price.  Our perspective is, if it's under $100 it's worth at least trying out!
Lucy

Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch

Robert King

Dec 26, 2010, 5:37:11 PM12/26/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I think I have this one. Let me dig it out and look.

Robert King

Robert King

Dec 26, 2010, 5:48:47 PM12/26/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Okay I have the exact model. We probably paid $50 more than that. We got it for a catering gig slicing tri-tips.

My thoughts:

1. Does good for the price.

2. where the meat falls is kind of a pain in the butt. The tray they give you is worthless.

3. A little pain to clean. But I think most would be like that.

4. When cutting fresh warm tri-tips it did "ok". Just had to keep flipping it over and rotating it. I think we did 150-200 lbs of tri-tip and it did get the job done.

5. If the meat is cold it works great.

6. It seems fairly sturdy.

Really depends what you are using it for. For home use I think it would do what you want. I got a nice country ham that I will be using it to slice soon. Would work great on that.

Any other questions let me know.

Robert King

Bill Martin

Dec 26, 2010, 6:50:36 PM12/26/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Lucy.

I missed that part first time around.

And its good advice. Thanks. I think I'll do it.

Bill

On Dec 26, 2010, at 4:08 PM, Lucy Baker wrote:

> 158 5star reviews says a lot.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
……...Albert Einstein

Bill Martin

Dec 26, 2010, 6:59:50 PM12/26/10
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Great!!  Thanks Robert!

The advice I'm getting is to "go for it".

The advice from you and John Shotsky about the meat slicing better if cold reminded me of Shabu-shabu.

There was a place in Waikiki, right where Kalakaua and Kuhio Avenues formed a "Y", where I used to go for Shabu-shabu.
(The place is gone now…  since about 1997!!  Sad.)

The meat was very nearly frozen solid….  Not rock hard, but really frosty.
They sliced that beef so thin you could practically read a news paper through the slices.
They thawed almost instantly on the plate.

That was really good eats!!!

Bill