I'm gob-smacked!!!

Bill Martin

Apr 28, 2008, 5:41:18 PM4/28/08
to smokeym...@yahoogroups.com, billsk...@yahoogroups.com, acook...@yahoogroups.com, smoker...@googlegroups.com, Susie Morris, Randi Mehan
David at Southwestdisk.com mailed my Discada out on Friday morning.
Today, Monday, at 11am, I went to the Post Office and it was here
already!!

Amazing!!!

If the photo doesn't make it, I'll be putting it up on my Blog in a
few minutes.

That is a 15 inch ruler in there. This thing is 22 pounds, and 22
inches in diameter, is pre-seasoned.

I can't wait to put some heat to this. Think I'll prepare a menu and
plan on using it this coming Saturday.

Fajitas maybe.

P4280665.jpg
P4280666.jpg
P4280669_2.jpg

Roy Kennedy

Apr 28, 2008, 6:13:33 PM4/28/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Bill why is it discolored in the middle

Bill Martin

Apr 28, 2008, 6:17:55 PM4/28/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
They pre-heat and oil it at the factory. Pre-seasoned.

Bill

Bill Martin's Creative Services
Mac OS X Consulting services and Support
Affordable Websites & Maintenance
Digital Commercial Photography
Audio, Video Support
Copywriting, Production services
Aerial & Underwater Video and Still Photography Referrals
bma...@island-styles.com
http://www.island-styles.com
808-966-7023

Garry Howard

Apr 28, 2008, 6:18:04 PM4/28/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
The discoloration in the center is from the pre-seasoning.

Garry

Nathan Lim

Apr 28, 2008, 11:16:46 PM4/28/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Nice toy, Bill. How deep is it at the center? Maybe if its not too deep it
would make a good stand-in for a Spanish paellera

nathan

Apr 28, 2008, 11:59:58 PM4/28/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
About 2-3/4 inches deep in the center.

When I win the Lottery, I'll make paella again.

Bill

Vegetarian: Native American word for Lousy Hunter

Garry Howard

Apr 29, 2008, 12:39:26 AM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of paella, our neighbor Betty, in Rincon, Puerto Rico invited us
over for paella one time. I uploaded a photo album of the process. It was
amazing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/RinconPuertoRico/BettySPaella/photo#519452060173
2314210

You might also check out Betty's sangria recipe. It's always a big hit. One
ingredient is missing, though. Add 4 ounces of 151 rum.

http://cooking.netrelief.com/recipes/sangria.shtml

Betty's husband, Ramon, is the postmaster in Rincon.

I think the discada is probably too concave for paella. A paella pan needs
to be flat.

Garry

Bill Martin

Apr 29, 2008, 1:03:37 AM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm Hers looks MUCH deeper than the discada.

Bill

On Apr 28, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Garry Howard wrote:

> I think the discada is probably too concave for paella. A paella pan
> needs
> to be flat.

"The Japanese tend to communicate via nuance and euphemism... whereas
Americans tend to think they're being subtle when they refrain from
grabbing the listener by the shirt." (Dave Barry)

Bill Martin

Apr 29, 2008, 1:34:02 AM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Those are some nice size clams!!! Do they get those in PR??

Bill

On Apr 28, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Garry Howard wrote:

Pepsi and Doughnuts - Because Breakfast is the most important meal of
the
day!
........A. Nonymous

Bill Martin

Apr 29, 2008, 1:56:07 AM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 28, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Garry Howard wrote:

> Speaking of paella, our neighbor Betty, in Rincon, Puerto Rico
> invited us
> over for paella one time. I uploaded a photo album of the process.
> It was
> amazing.

Is this rice??

DSCN0221.jpg

Nathan Lim

Apr 29, 2008, 4:19:24 AM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Come to think of it, Garry's right about the concave shape. The rice at the
sides will probably burn if not tended closely with hot stock at hand; looks
like you need to watch the heat a lot too. Still, the discada looks like it
comes in handy for on-the-spot-cooking when you have a big crowd. Nice toy,
Bill.

nathan

ps. I cheat when I make Spanish-style rice (don't want to get into trouble
with the paella police by calling it paella, hahaha) following all the
traditional steps except I use ordinary long-grain rice and cook the whole
she-bang (sofrito, rice, Spanish chorizo, seafood, chicken, etc) in a rice
cooker. Fuss-free and tastes just like paella (if you don't look too closely
at where it was cooked in. If I'm lucky, the bottom doesn't burn too much
and I actually get edible soccarat, the crust of crunchy rice that forms in
the bottom of the traditional paellera.

Apr 29, 2008, 4:23:52 AM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the links Garry. I get a 404 error on the picasa link though.
I'll try it again later. Nice recipe for sangria. I'll have to tone it down
and cut back on the vodka and rum though. A little goes a long way for me
and the missus. What's 151 rum?

nathan

Nathan Lim

Apr 29, 2008, 7:01:35 AM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
ooops... disregard that first message. I saw the problem with the link in
the email. Looks like you guys had some mighty good eating that night.

nathan

Apr 29, 2008, 8:58:02 AM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
It be, but the bottom is flat. They got some big pans like that about 4
exits south. I think they sell for about 25-30 bucks.
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten
big...@wildblue.net
www.lazyq.com

Apr 29, 2008, 9:25:42 AM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Traditional paella pans are flat on the bottom. The challenge is to have heat distributed uniformly along the bottom since the food is not moved around after the rice is stirred in. The traditional pan is made of a thin metal which does NOT distribute heat very evenly. The pan is used over coals or a gas burner with several concentric rings to help distribute the heat more evenly.

I do not think the discada would be good for paella. I picked up a large anodized aluminum paella pan with a non-stick interior and glass lid at Costco a few years back for about $20. It is heavier than the traditional pan, cooks very evenly, and, even though it has a non-stick coating, creates a perfect socorrat - the caramelized layer at the bottom of the pan.

Bill/SFNM

JOHN R CROWLEY

Apr 29, 2008, 9:30:22 AM4/29/08
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
151 proof rum

Gerry Curry

Apr 29, 2008, 9:54:23 AM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
It's what wimps drink instead of 181 ;-)

I used to love taking the tour of the Bacardi plant when our ship visited San Juan. You didn't have to haul your ass up and down flights of stairs for an hour before you could get to the "tasting room." Bacardi got it right... straight to the tasting room and you watch the tour on a TV. SWEET!!!

Gerry Curry
546 Cedar Lake Rd, R.R. 1
South Ohio, NS, B0W 3E0
iChat & AIM - gcu...@mac.com

I support our armed forces.
It's the dipsticks that deploy them
that I have a problem with.

On 29-Apr-08, at 5:23 AM, Nathan Lim wrote:

What's 151 rum?

Garry Howard

Apr 29, 2008, 11:54:50 AM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Yep

Garry

Garry Howard

Apr 29, 2008, 11:57:07 AM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
It's 151 proof.

Garry

Garry Howard

Apr 29, 2008, 12:05:31 PM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if those clams were local or not. There is a town, Boqueron, on
the south coast with numerous street vendors on the weekends serving up
clams on the half shell. However, since they are piled on a table in the
heat with no ice I've never tried them.

Garry

stc stc

Apr 29, 2008, 12:15:49 PM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I have not tried this recipe but ran across it this morning and thought it
sounded very good. I'm just getting into sourdough baking, have a starter on
it's way.So if any of your sour dough bread bakers try this, let us know how
it turns out.

Joe

Black Bean and Chipotle Bread
This recipe was adapted from Mark Miller and Andrew Maclauchlan's "Flavored
Breads - Recipes from the Mark Miller's Coyote Cafe"

I've never been to the Coyote Cafe, but I've heard only good things about
it, and the flavored breads title got me interested. The book was being
remaindered, so it was all the more attractive. It was worth full price.
However, being a sourdough fan(atic), I didn't want to make this bread with
a sponge, the way Mark Miller and Andrew Maclauchlan do. So, it's been
converted to sourdough. It is a moist, well risen loaf, that is rich with
black beans, and warmed by the chipotle peppers. Mark Miller says it's
reminiscent of a black bean soup, and I have to agree, but it's the smoky
pepper bite that really makes this pepper-belly happy. Makes 3 good-sized
loaves or 2 large loaves.

Ingredients:
2 cups active sourdough starter
2 cups (1 lb) dried black beans, picked through and rinsed
1 cup reserved cooking liquid
3 1/2 cups bread flour
2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, or 1 1/4 tsp dried regular Oregano
8 dried chipotle chiles, stemmed and chopped (about 1/4 cup ), or 5
teaspoons canned minced chipotles
1 1/3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
Method:
1. Do whatever you need to do to prepare two cups of active sourdough
starter. While the starter is fermenting away go to step 2.

2. Pick over and clean the 2 cups of black beans. Cook until done. Make sure
they are fully cooked.

3. Next drain the beans, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid per batch of
bread. If you don't have that much cooking liquid left, dilute the liquid
with water to make 1 cup of liquid per batch.

4. Pulse the cooked beans in a food processor about a cup at a time until
they are chunky, but not pureed. Try not to leave any beans whole and
intact. The texture of the bean puree will affect the texture of the bread -
you choose how smooth or chunky you want the bread.

5. Pour the reserved cooking liquid into a large mixing bowl.

6. Add the beans and sourdough starter to the cooking liquid.

7. Remove and discard the stems from the peppers. Chop the chipotle peppers.
If you are using dried peppers this will be messy as they are dry and
brittle. Use all the pepper, and the seeds as well.

8. Add and stir in the whole wheat flour, chipotle peppers, cumin, oregano,
salt, and barbecue sauce.

9. Stir, and add the bread flour a cup at a time, until the dough becomes
too stiff to stir. Pour out the dough into a well floured surface.

20. Knead the dough, kneading in additional flour as needed, until the dough
is fairly smooth and springy. You may need to add more flour than is called
for above, depending on how liquid the beans are. Knead 6 to 10 minutes. The
dough should be soft and lively.

11. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turn, and cover with plastic
wrap.

12. Let rise in a warm place for 1 - 2 hours, or until approximately doubled
in volume.

13. Punch the dough down, transfer to a well-floured surface, and cut into 2
or 3 equal pieces.

14. Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal (or spray with Baker's Joy).

15. Shape the dough into loaves. Mark and Andrew suggested round loaves, I
made oval loaves instead.

16. Place the loaves on the baking sheet, cover with a moistened and wrung
out linen cloth, and let rise again in a warm place for 1 hour.

17. The original recipe calls for a baking stone. I suggest you use a baking
stone or quarry tiles. Whether or nor not you such, preheat the oven to 425
degrees F.

18. You may spay the loaves with water, and then lightly dust them with
whole-wheat flour. I didn't. However, you can get much the same effect with
a banneton.

19. Make 2 or 3 diagonal slashes in the tops of the loaves with a razor
blade to allow the dough to expand in the hot oven.

20. Put the bread in the oven, and put a cup of water into a tray on the
bottom of your oven. (I use a disposable baking pan to hold the water.)

21. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is caramel brown, and the
loaf is done. While some people like the "thump" test, I prefer to take the
bread's temperature with a quick reading thermometer. At my altitude, I
shoot for an internal temperature is 195 degrees F. At sea level, I'd try
for 205 to 210F.

22. Cool the loaves on a rack.

Garry Howard

Apr 29, 2008, 12:38:01 PM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Mark Miller is no longer associated with the Coyote Café, and apparently
hasn't been for a few years. They have a new chef who is supposed to be
good. He came over from another popular high-end restaurant called Geronimo.
We had drinks with some friends in the Coyote rooftop cantina a couple of
weeks ago, which is much less expensive than the restaurant. We didn't have
anything to eat but the food I saw looked good.

Garry

Bill Martin

Apr 29, 2008, 1:29:05 PM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 29, 2008, at 3:30 AM, JOHN R CROWLEY wrote:

> 151 proof rum

And the "proof' number is double the alcohol percentage..

Bill

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,
you've got it made. -Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Gerry Curry

Apr 29, 2008, 3:30:16 PM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Back in the 70's they made a 181 overproof. It was pure rot gut.

Gerry Curry
546 Cedar Lake Rd, R.R. 1
South Ohio, NS, B0W 3E0
iChat & AIM - gcu...@mac.com

I support our armed forces.
It's the dipsticks that deploy them
that I have a problem with.

On 29-Apr-08, at 12:57 PM, Garry Howard wrote:

It's 151 proof.

Nathan Lim

Apr 29, 2008, 10:20:33 PM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
ahhh... enlightenment! Thanks, Gerry.

nathan
From: "Garry Howard" <ga...@garryhoward.com>
To: <SmokeR...@googlegroups.com>

Nathan Lim

Apr 29, 2008, 10:27:06 PM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
HI Joe. I always wanted to try my hand at baking bread; my last one was Mark
Bittman's No-knead bread. Turned out wonderfully well, and was delicious
with Nutella. How did you make your sourdough starter? I've seen various
recipes (including one that called for a potato) but am not quite sure which
one I should go with.

nathan

Sherman Watkins

Apr 29, 2008, 11:01:13 PM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Fourteen different sourdough starts are available here:

http://www.sourdo.com/culture.htm

I'm very happy with mine.  Better tasting than the one I did on my own.
--
Sherm

Bill Ackerman

Apr 29, 2008, 11:08:54 PM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Listen to Sherman. These starters are terrific. I have 5 of them in my arsenal and bake with them 2-3 times per week. Like Sherman, I ended up dumping a culture I had captured myself and used for many years because the ore are so flavorful and versatile. In fact, I haven't used commercial yeast in over 2 years. There is a commitment required to activate and keep these starters going, but like real BBQ, the rewards are great.

Bill/SFNM

Sherman Watkins

Apr 29, 2008, 11:56:23 PM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Oh, boy!  Someone to talk sourdough with.  Most people look at me like that crazy uncle every one has but gently humors until they can safely escape.  You combine bbq, sourdough, and Dutch oven cooking and the best you can usually hope for is "quaint."  I'm only able to use sourdough about once a week.  You give me something to aspire to.  I can probably sneak one or two more starts into the 'frig.  Which are your favorites and why?  I've been using the SF but had a hard time deciding between it and the Yukon.
--
Sherm

Bill Ackerman

Apr 30, 2008, 2:52:46 AM4/30/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Sherman,

Great to find a kindred spirit. Bill Martin may soon join the ranks of
those who list their starter cultures as dependents on their 1040's.

I almost always bake some kind of bread when making BBQ. How about
pulled pork on a freshly-baked squishy bun? Or a sandwich of tender,
juicy pastrami on slices of freshly-baked rye?

The starter you have can be very tangy or sour. All of mine are mild
by comparison. "Sourdough" doesn't mean sour bread. Each culture has
its own unique flavor and leavening behavior. Here are the starters I
have:

French: very mild. use mainly for baguettes
Austrian: rye/pumpernickel, bagels
Russian: use for whole grains or anything that needs powerful leavening
Ischia (Italian #1): a little tangy. Use for pizzas and Italian breads
Camaldoli (Italian #2): Amazing flavor. Use for pizza and any other
kind of bread.

Bill/SFNM

Dave Farrell

Apr 30, 2008, 3:09:59 AM4/30/08
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
they sound great, but how do you make the starters, I've done Q for 45 years, but never baked much, how does someone make the starters to avoid the common yeast base?

Dave Farrell

> From: bil...@mac.com
> To: SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: [BBQ] Soudough Starters (was: Untried recipe)
> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:52:46 -0600

Dave Farrell

Apr 30, 2008, 3:13:58 AM4/30/08
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
I love baguettes for sandwiches or sliced for bruschetta, rye for pastrami or corned beef, and sourdough bowls for chowder and whole grains for turkey or chicken.

Dave Farrell

> From: bil...@mac.com
> To: SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: [BBQ] Soudough Starters (was: Untried recipe)
> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:52:46 -0600

Bill Martin

Apr 30, 2008, 3:14:35 AM4/30/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 29, 2008, at 8:52 PM, Bill Ackerman wrote:

> I almost always bake some kind of bread when making BBQ. How about
> pulled pork on a freshly-baked squishy bun?

Squishy bun???? How about a recipe for that. I eat pulled pork more
than just about anything else.

And one for your rye bread. I have a pastrami in the freezer that I
made recently. Just polished off its twin.

Bill M

Nathan Lim

Apr 29, 2008, 11:59:30 PM4/29/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link, Sherm. Its the wealth of first-hand knowledge (barbecue and otherwise) that really distinguishes this list from the others. Which one of the fourteen starters are you using?

Roy Kennedy

Apr 30, 2008, 5:42:58 AM4/30/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Bill :Hi I remember that there used to be a pizza place here in town that
had the best I ever ate in this area . They closed . I remember that the
crust was a little sour flavored or mabey it tasted like what you would
associate with a yeast taste . Think mabey it was a sour that they used in
the dough . Would you think most pizza places around today just use flour
and water for the dough they make ?
If I wanted to make a great pizza dough or rye bread would I need a special
baking oven for it ?
Roy

Apr 30, 2008, 6:51:40 AM4/30/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Great breaking news. In this morning's Houston Chronicle, Texas gave a boost to the almighty brisket. They found that it is loaded with the same type of healthy fat found in canola and olive oil. The only catch that it is tied to the amount of corn the animal eats.

This finding is further complicated with the fact that with the biofuel makers now in the corn market the cost of corn has increased dramatically. Guess what will and is happening to beef prices.

Of course the article had to mention the studies that grilling and barbecuing animal protein can generate heterocyclic animes linked to breast and color cancer. A finding that I tend to ignore.

MJB

stc stc

Apr 30, 2008, 8:36:48 AM4/30/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Here ya go Nathan, can't beat this deal and it makes darn good bread.

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

joe

stc stc

Apr 30, 2008, 8:41:26 AM4/30/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Bill, which ones do you have? My son loves to bake bread, as well as me, so I’m always interested in getting something else. How do you store your starters?

joe

Bill Ackerman

Apr 30, 2008, 12:17:58 PM4/30/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

Dave,

You receive desiccated starter cultures from sourdo.com. You activate them by feeding with flour and water and maintaining at a specific temperature until they are ready to use.

Bill/SFNM

Bill Ackerman

Apr 30, 2008, 2:49:51 PM4/30/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
The vast majority of pizza places do not use natural starters. Most
use flour, water, commercial yeast, salt and, optionally, milk powder,
sugar, oil, and other additives. In this country, pizza is all about
the toppings and little attention is paid to the crust, which is often
little more than bread, but could be much, much more. Great rye bread
can easily be made your kitchen oven. Pizza can be also be made in
your home oven or grill, but whether it is "great" depends on what
your favorite style of pizza is. Like BBQ, most people have strong
emotional ties to the kind of pizza they grew up eating. One persons
favorite is another's junk food. My favorite, authentic Neapolitan
pizza, really does need to be baked in special oven, particularly one
with a live wood fire inside and that reaches deck temps of 900F-1000F.

Although BBQ is "low and slow" and pizza is "high and fast", they both
share a great deal in terms of mass popularity, geographical passion,
and small pockets of hardcore enthusiasts.

Bill/SFNM

Sherman Watkins

Apr 30, 2008, 4:49:38 PM4/30/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Bill:
Try making yourself some pumpernickel. I used a very sour start,
sorghum instead of molasses, and ended up with some marvelous bread.

--
Sherm

John Douglas

Apr 30, 2008, 5:29:23 PM4/30/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

One of the reasons I got the BGE was to be able to do pizzas at very hot temps.............that was what I was attempting to do when I burned the felt off of it! :) Having a pizza done within a few minutes or less had not seeped into my mind...............plus adult beverages
was stirred into the mix. :)

I told you I have a lot of your postings, you might find this one from 2001 interesting.........just a reminder that you have kicked the dough up a notch or two:

|                       " Neapolitan-style Pizza Dough
|
| Recipe By     :Pizza by Scicolone - adapted with "Best Bread" (Van Over)
| Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:00
| Categories    : Pizza
|
|   Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
| --------  ------------  --------------------------------
|                         PAM spray oil
|   1                     Ziploc bag (1 gal)
|      3/4           tsp  Instant Yeast
|   134            grams  cake flour -- not self-rising
|   350            grams  all-purpose flour
|   2          teaspoons  salt
|   270            grams  water
|
| Lightly coat inside of plastic bag with the PAM.
|
| Fit the bowl of a food processor with the metal blade.
| Place all dry ingredients in the bowl of the food processor.
| With the processor running, add the water and process 45-60 seconds.
|
| Place the dough in the bag, flattening the bag to remove air.
| Place in refrigerator.
| After about an hour, flatten the dough and release the air from the bag.
| Repeat this flattening one or two more times.
| Place a heavy weight on the bag.
| Let sit overnight in refrigerator.
|
| Remove the dough from the bag and place on a lightly floured board.
| Cut into 4 pieces (for 9"-10" pizzas) and shape into balls.
| Dust tops with flour.
| Cover each ball with plastic wrap, allowing room for dough to expand.
| Let rise until doubled (2 - 3 hours)
|
| One hour before baking, place a pizza stone on the lowest rack in the oven
| and heat oven to maximum temperature
|
| Place the ball on a floured surface.
| Holding your hands flat, pat the ball out evenly with your fingers,
lifting
| it and turning it over several times until it reaches a 9" circle. Do not
| handle any more than necessary. If it seems sticky, dust lightly with
flour.

| Dust a pizza peel with flour.
| Carefully transfer the circle of dough to the peel. Shake once or twice to
| make sure it doesn't stick. If it does, sprinkle peel with more flour.
| Quickly top the dough with toppings, spreading it to within 1/2 inch of
the
| edge using the back of a spoon.
|
| A few minutes before putting the pizza in the oven, sprinkle the preheated
| stone with flour.
|
| Slide the pizza onto the baking stone with a gentle jerk to start.
| Bake 6 to 7 minutes or until dough is crisp and golden.
|
| NOTES : OPTION 1: Before topping pizza, cover dough and allow to rise for
| 10-15 minutes.
| OPTION 2: Bake untopped dough for 1-2 minutes, remove from oven, top, and
| return to oven.

Bill Ackerman"

The vast majority of pizza places do not use natural starters. My favorite, authentic Neapolitan

Sherman Watkins

Apr 30, 2008, 6:07:47 PM4/30/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I always used cornmeal on my peels and stones. Does flour work as well?

--
Sherm

Nathan Lim

Apr 30, 2008, 5:08:53 AM4/30/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for the recommendation, Bill. I can see why many in the list hold your opinions in the highest regard.

nathan
May 1, 2008, 3:17:43 PM5/1/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I use the San Francisco sourdough starter.  It sure is good.  Ever make biscuits and flapjacks with it?
Carl Mueller

It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...Abraham Lincoln

Sherman Watkins wrote:
Oh, boy!  Someone to talk sourdough with.  Most people look at me like that crazy uncle every one has but gently humors until they can safely escape.  You combine bbq, sourdough, and Dutch oven cooking and the best you can usually hope for is "quaint."  I'm only able to use sourdough about once a week.  You give me something to aspire to.  I can probably sneak one or two more starts into the 'frig.  Which are your favorites and why?  I've been using the SF but had a hard time deciding between it and the Yukon.

Sherman Watkins

May 1, 2008, 4:56:21 PM5/1/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Flapjacks probably almost weekly. Combined with pure maple syrup they
are a match made in heaven.
Sourdough biscuits are one of my favorite breads but I don't bake them
as often as I could. Maybe I should get inspired this weekend.

--
Sherm

Dan Gill

May 1, 2008, 5:10:22 PM5/1/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
The BEST pancakes I EVER had was about 20 years ago. We kept a sourdough sponge going for bread and pancakes. One time the pancakes were especially thin, light and sour. We were never able to make them that good again. I have no idea now where the started came from.

Dan

May 1, 2008, 5:25:22 PM5/1/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

I often make sourdough waffles with activated started left over from bread making. I adapted this recipe from Marion Cunningham. I can eat a hundred of them.

Raised Sourdough Waffles

• ½ cup starter, 150g
• 2 cups milk, warmed
• 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 10 ounces all-purpose flour
• 2 large eggs
• ¼ teaspoon baking soda
• ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
In a very large mixing bowl, combine the starter, milk, butter, salt, sugar, and flour and beat until smooth and blended.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temp.

Just before cooking the waffles, beat in the eggs, baking soda, and vanilla extract.

Bake waffles until golden crisp (but still moist inside) per your waffle iron instructions using very high heat.

Batter will keep for several days in refrigerator. Baked waffles freeze very well.

"Adapted from Marion Cunningham"

Categories:
Breakfast

Dan Gill

May 1, 2008, 11:06:15 PM5/1/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

Glad to see you back! I love Marion Cunningham's works - I keep them right next to the 1948 edition of Joy of Cooking. Have you seen her book of lost recipes? It is a gem. On every other page there is a sidebar extolling the lost virtues of family meals.

Dan

Bill Ackerman

May 2, 2008, 3:55:24 PM5/2/08
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

Thank you. Great to be back.

No, I don't have that cookbook. It should be in my collection, but I have taken a vow not to buy any more cookbooks since I have not come close to making use of most of the ones I already own. Every once in a while I break down and sneak one into the collection on the condition that I will get rid of one of the other books. And if someone gives me a cookbook, I force myself to remove another book from the collection. Maybe someone should give me the Cunningham book!  Thanks for the idea.

Bill/SFNM