Bob Garner's recipes from NC Barbecue: Flavored by Time

Tom in Virginia Beach

May 25, 2009, 3:33:10 PM5/25/09
to The Smoke Ring BBQ List
My copy of his book was published in 1996 and I'm not sure it's still
in print. If it is, I advise everyone interested in NC bbq to get a
copy. It's still the best book on the subject IMO. I've tried every
recipe in his book, with the exception of his brunswick stew (I don't
like brunswick stew) and can vouch for all of them. I must admit I use
Big Jim's banana pudding recipe because it's so much easier but if you
have the time to make Garner's summer and winter banana puddings you
won't be disappointed.

The basic eastern NC sauce, hushpuppies, Lexington-style "dip",
Piedmont-Style coleslaw (I love this stuff) and Tad's potatoes are
must haves for my family when they all show up for bbq.

I've also included his recipes from a Food Network show with Bobby
Flay years ago. His recipe for smoked pork shoulder (I first used the
more detailed version that is in his book rather than the Flay show
recipe) along with some advice from Dan Gill and Dave Lineback back in
the late 90s helped me to turn out my first edible pork on a Weber
grill.

Best wishes and all my respect to the combat veterans on the list. I
didn't have to go through all that, thank God, because I was busy
cleaning latrines and keeping the Commies out of south Texas (along
with George Bush).

I hope you enjoy these recipes (and buy the book if you can find it
because it's a great history of barbecue in the Old North State.

Tom in Virginia Beach

1. Notes On His Recipes (all but Brunswick stew) Garner (North
Carolina Barbecue: Flavored By Time)

Barbecue Sauces: North Carolina is practically afloat in barbecue
sauce. Even if you've never tried mixing up your own sauce, and decide
to try one of the recipes listed here, you won't be able to resist
adding your own ingredients - which is exactly why there are so many
sauces out there. Most importantly, have fun.
See: Quick-and-Easy Basting and Pig Picking Sauce
Basic Eastern North Carolina Sauce
Lexington-Style "Dip"

Side Dishes for a Barbecue or Pig Picking
Eastern North Carolina Coleslaw
This is my wife Ruthie's recipe, and it's typical of the coleslaw
that's served at pig pickings and fish fries along the Roanoke River
in Halifax and Martin counties.
Piedmont-Style Coleslaw
Here's a tangy, red, piedmont-style coleslaw, similar to what
you'll be served in Greensboro or Fuzzy's in Madison. This has a bite
to it.

Tad's Barbecue Potatoes
My brother-in-law Tad Everett's recipe is a slight variation on the
boiled potatoes found in most eastern North Carolina barbecue
restaurants, but the folks around Palmyra, Hobgood, and Oak City
always go for these in a big way.

Hush Puppies
There are several good hush-puppy mixes on the market, but this is a
recipe from scratch that I developed. My friends tell me these pups
are as good as any they've ever tasted.

Skillet Cornbread
Some people prefer baked cornbread rather than hush puppies with their
barbecue. Here's an easy recipe that produces a tasty, flat cornbrad
with a crispy crust and top.

Banana Pudding (see winter and summer banana pudding recipes)
Banana pudding is the most widely served dessert in North Carolina's
barbecue restaurants, probably because it's relatively quick and easy
to make, and because the creamy taste and soft texture provide a
pleasant contrast to the tangy bite of the barbecue and/or coleslaw.
Even though most restaurants make a simpler version, using instand
vanilla pudding instead of real custard, the extra trouble required to
follow my wife Ruthie's two recipes will be amply rewarded when you
serve them to your guests.
I've included a winter version, with a rich, golden meringue topping,
and a refrigerated summer version, crowned by whipped cream.

Peach Cobbler
Next to banana pudding, peach cobbler is the dessert that seems to
have the greatest affinity for barbecue. Keith and Charles Stamey of
Stamey's in Greensboro prepare three outstanding fruit cobblers;
apple, peach, and cherry; but they say peach outsells apple and cherry
by about ten to one. All are usually served topped with vanilla ice
cream. They were understandably reluctant to share their recipe, which
uses canned peaches, but Ruthie Garner's version, with either frozen
or fresh fruit, is also a triumphant finale for a pig picking..or any
other meal.

I know that several of these recipes probably look a little
intimidating or complicated for our hurry-up age, but let me remind
you that these are meant to be leisure-day dishes, prepared for the
pure fun of it, or perhaps as a way of quietly paying tribute to a
less-hectic time in our past. These are dishes that have delighted the
palates of Tar Heels for generations, and to me, learning to prepare
them has been a lot like learning to cook barbecue - a satisfying way
of partcipating in our collective experience as North Carolinians.

Notes On His Brunswick Stew Garner (North Carolina Barbecue: Flavored
By Time)

See: Brunswick Stew Garner

Many residents of rural eastern North Carolina pride themselves on
their Brunswick stew recipes, and getting together ona winter weekend
to "cook a stew" in a large iron washpot is an activity that, like a
pig picking, usually involves several families and consumes an entire
Saturday. Most recipes are for 70 to 80 quarts of stew, which are
typically divided among the participating families and frozen. (Many
churches and organizations also make and sell large quantities of
Brunswick stew to raise funds.)

The following recipe is a little more manageable and makes around 7
quarts. It's very similar to the wonderful Brunswick stew sold at
Scotland Neck's Whitaker's Barbecue, which is open only on weekends
and is more commonly known as "the barbecue stand." You'll notice that
this stew does not contain green beans, garden peas, carrots, okra, or
other extraneous vegetables commonly added to stews in piedmont North
Carolina.
Even though this recipe is designed to be made in a kitchen, rather
than over a fire in the backyard, the work will be lighter and you'll
have more fun if you invigte a friend over for the day to help you
make it.

Recipes from the book:
1. Basic Eastern North Carolina Sauce Garner (simple, and still one of
the best ones out there - Tom)

2 qrt apple-cider vinegar
1 1/2 to 2 oz crushed red pepper
2 Tablespoons salt, or to taste
1 Tablespoons black pepper, or to taste

Mix all ingredients well.

Use to baste pig and to season chopped barbecue to taste.

May be stored in tightly sealed container without refrigeration.

2. Brunswick Stew Garner

7 pounds chicken
4 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes
3 15-ounce cans baby lima beans
6 cups frozen baby lima beans
6 medium potatoes
2 large yellow onions
4 15-ounce cans cream-style corn
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 stick butter or margarine
1 1/2 ounce Texas Pete hot sauce

Wash chicken and cut up, if necessary, (I use leg quarters because
they're less expensive but you may want to use whole chicken in order
to get some white meat mixed in.) Place chicken in large pot, barely
cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer chicken
until tender, approximately 40 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and
set aside to cool, reserving stock.
Open whole tomatoes and place in second large pot. Use hands to crush
tomatoes. Open cans of baby lima beans and add lima bean liquid to
tomatoes. Pour baby lima beans from cans into mixing bowl and use
hands or potato masher to mash them. Set mashed lima beans aside.
Add six cups of the chicken stock to tomato mixture. Bring mixture to
a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for approximately 40
minutes, or until liquid is reduced by about 1/3, stirring frequently.
While liquid is cooking down, bone chicken and shred the chicken meat
using a cleaver or food processor. Peel and finely dice potatoes and
onions. When liquid is sufficiently reduced, add chicken, mashed lima
beans, frozen lima beans, potatoes, and onions. Do not add salt at
this point, since it tends to prevent the lima beans from getting
soft. Simmer mixture over very low heat, stirring frequently, for
approximately 3 1/2 hours.
Add cream-style corn, sugar, salt, pepper, butter or margarine, and
Texas Pete hot sauce. Continue cooking over very low heat for 1 more
hour. Because of the sugar you've added (and the sugar in the cream-
style corn), the stew is very prone to sticking at this point and will
need to be stirred almost constantly until done.

Servings - 30

3. Eastern North Carolina Coleslaw Garner

1 medium-size, firm head of cabbage
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/3 cup mustard
3/4 cup sweet pickle cubes
2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

This is my wife Ruthie's recipe, and it's typical of the coleslaw
that's served at pig pickings and fish fries along the Roanoke River
in Halifax and Martin counties.

Keep cabbage refrigerated until ready to use, and do not allow it to
reach room temperature once you begin.

Remove outer leaves and core from cabbage.

Cut head in half and grate fine, using food processor or hand grater.

In large bowl, combine cabbage, mayonnaise, mustard, sweet pickle
cubes, vinegar, sugar and seasonings.

Mix thoroughly and chill for one hour before serving.

Makes 20 servings

4. Hush Puppies Garner

3 cups self-rising white cornmeal
1 cup all-puirpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon onion powder or 1 medium onion, chopped fine (optional)
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 tablspoons bacon drippings

There are several good hush-puppy mixes on the market, but this is a
recipe from scratch that I developed. My friends tell me these pups
are as good as any they've ever tasted.

Combine all dry ingredients. Add buttermilk and bacon drippings and
stir mixture until well blended.

Pour approximately 4 inches of cooking oil into saucepan or deep fryer
and heat to 350 degrees. (For best results, use thermometer to insure
that oil doesn't get too hot.)

Spread batter evenly, 1/2-inch thick, on flat surface of pancake
turner, using a sharp knife to trim excess from sides and end of
turner. With the knife, push 1/2-inch-wide "fingers" of batter
sideways off end of tuirner and into hot oil, cooking only a few at a
time. (You'll need to keep "reloading" the end of the pancake turner
with batter, rather than working your way all the way down to the
handle.) As hush puppies float turn them so they brown evenly.

Drain on paper towels.

Servings - 3 doz

5. Lexington-Style "Dip" Garner

3 cups apple-cider vinegar
2/3 cup brown or white sugar
1/2 cup catsup
2 tablespoons Texas Pete hot sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce

There are a thousand variations of this type sauce. You can follow the
basic proportions shown here then bring your own creativity into play.

Combine all ingredients in large pot.

Bring to a simmer over medium heat and stir until sugar melts.

6. Peach Cobbler Garner

Bottom Crust:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter, cut in 1/2-inch slices
1/3 cup ice water

Top Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, cut in 1/2-inch slices
2 1/2 teaspoon ice water

Filling:
2 1/2 20-ounce bags of frozen, unsweetened peaches (or 7 cups of
fresh, sliced peaches)
1/3 cup butter, cut in 1/2-inch slices
2 cups sugar
4 teaspoons flour

Prepare bottom and top crusts, separately, as follows:

Sift flour and place in food processor with salt and butter. Turning
the food processor on in quick bursts, cut butter into flour until
mixture is in even bits about the size of small peas. (This can also
be done by hand with two knives, a pastry fork, or even your fingers.)
Gradually add ice water and continue "pulsing" until mixture begins
forming into a ball. (Again, you can work ice water into pastry with a
fork or your fingers.) Remove ball of pastry, wrap in plastic, and
chill in freezer for 5 minutes.

Roll out pastry for bottom crust and line 9x13-inch baking dish. Fill
bottom of crust with 1/2 the peaches. Sprinkle 1 cup sugar and 2
tablespoons flour on top of peaches. Add another layer with the
remainder of the peaches sugar,and flour. Dot top layer with slices of
butter.

Roll out top crust and place over peaches or cut pastry into strips to
form lattice crust. Moisten edges of bottom and top crusts with water
and use fork to press edges together. Bake at 325 degrees for
approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Allow to cool at room temperature for several hours before serving so
that any excess juice can be absorbed by pastry.

Servings - 10
PreHeat - 325°

Let sit for several hours before serving over chopped or sliced pork
shoulder.

May be stored in tightly sealed container without refrigeration.

7. Piedmont-Style Coleslaw - Garner Slaw (I think this is far
superior to the slaw made with mayonnaise. YMMD - Tom)

1 med head cabbage
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup ketchup
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp Texas Pete hot sauce

Keep cabbage refrigerated until ready to use

Remove outer leaves and core from cabbage.

Cut head in half and grate coarsely so that cabbage bits are about the
size of BB's.

Return cabbage to refrigerator.

In a sm mixing bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, catsup, and seasonings
and mix until well blended.

Remove cabbage from refrigerator and pour mixture over it.

Mix with large spoon until well blended.

(Note, this may look dry at first but there's plenty of liquid to
moisten the cabbage thoroughly if you'll keep mixing.)

Chill for one hour before serving.

Servings - 20

8. Quick-And-Easy Basting and Pig Picking Sauce Garner

1 gallon apple-cider vinega
1 bottle Kraft regular barbecue sauce
1 1/2 ounces (approximately) crushed red pepper
1 3-ounce bottle Texas Pete hot sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup brown or white sugart
1 stick butter or margarine (optional)

Combine all ingredients in large pot.

Bring to a simmer over medium heat and stir until sugar melts.

Use to baste pig.

After basting, pour into small containers to serve with cooked pig

Refrigerate unused sauce.

9. Skillet Cornbread Garner

1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons bacon drippings

Some people prefer baked cornbread rather than hush puppies with their
barbecue. Here's an easy recipe that produces a tasty, flat cornbrad
with a crispy crust and top.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Place bacon drippings in well-seasoned cast-iron skillets. Place
skillet in oven for 3 to 4 minutes.

While skillet is heating, combine cornmeal, salt, and milk in bowl and
stir until well blended.

When drippings in skillet are very hot, remove sthe skillet (using a
thick oven mitt) and pour the drippings into the batter, quickly
stirring to blend.

Quickly pour the batter back into the skillet (it should sizzle) and
place in the oven.

Immediately reduce heat to 450 degrees.

Bake approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

To serve, cut into 6-8 wedge-shaped pieces.

PreHeat - 500°
Cooking Time - 20 min
Total Time - 20 min

10. Summer Banana Pudding Garner

7 med to lg bananas, firm and ripe
6 eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 Teaspoons salt
4 cup whole milk
1 1/2 Teaspoons vanilla
1 box Nabisco Nilla Wafers
1 pt whipping cream

Custard: Slightly beat eggs and place them in top of double boiler.
Add 3/4 cup sugar and salt. Scald milk by barely bringing it to a boil
in a saucepan. Very slowly stir scalded milk into eggs and sugar. Cook
slowly over hot (not boiling) water, stirring constantly until custard
thickens, approximately 20 minutes. (It's ok if it curdles slightly.)
Remove from heat, add vanilla, and set aside to cool.

In mixing bowl, beat cream at high speed with electric mixer until it
begins to thicken. Continue beating and slowly add 1/2 cup sugar until
cream holds a peak. Set aside.

Line bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 inch dish with Nilla Wafers. Cover
wafers with layer of sliced bananas. Spread 1/2 the whipped cream over
custard. Add another layer of vanilla wafers, bananas, custard and
whipped cream. (You will have some custard left over.) Refrigerate for
several hours before serving to allow custard to soften and blend with
vanilla wafers.

Servings - 10

11. Winter Banana Pudding Garner

7 medium to large bananas, firm and ripe
7 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 box Nabisco Nilla Wafers

Custard:Separate yolks and whites of 4 eggs. Put whites aside in large
bowl. Slightly beat 4 egg yolks and 3 whole eggs in top of double
boiler. Add 1/2 cup of the sugar and the salt to eggs. Mix well. Scald
milk by barely bringing it to a boil in a saucepan. Very slowly stir
scalded milk into eggs and sugar. Cook slowly over hot (not boiling)
water, stirring constantly until the custard thickens, approximately
20 minutes. (It's ok if it curdles slightly.) Remove from heat, add
vanilla, and set aside to cool.

Meringue: Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add 1/4 cup
sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line bottom and sides of a 9x13 inch
baking dish with Nilla Wafers. Cover wafers with layer of sliced
bananas. Spread 1/3 of custard over bananas. Add another layer of
wafers, bananas, and custard. (You will have some custard left over.)
Spread top with meringue, making sure that the meringue is touching
the side of the dish all the way around (this will prevent shrinking).
Bake for 5 minutes or until meringue is browned. Let pudding rest at
room temperature for several hours before serving to allow custard to
soften and blend with vanilla wafers.

Servings - 10
PreHeat - 425°

12. Tad's Barbecue Potatoes Garner (must have at my house - Tom)

5 lb potatoes
4 lg yellow onions
1/4 cup bacon drippings
1 20 oz bottle catsup
1/4 to 1/2 cup Texas Pete Hot Sauce, according to taste
1/3 cup sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Serves 15 hungry men or 10 couples.

or:
2 1/2 lb potatoes
2 lg yellow onions
1/8 cup bacon drippings
1/4 cup Texas Pete Hot Sauce or to taste
10 oz tomato catsup
1/4 or slightly less cup sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Servings - 4-6

My brother-in-law Tad Everett's recipe is a slight variation on the
boiled potatoes found in most eastern North Carolina barbecue
restaurants but folks go for them in a big way.

Peel potatoes and onions and cut into large chunks.

Place in large pot and cover with water.

Add remaining ingredients, stir to blend, and bring potatoes to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft, approximately 30 to 40
minutes.

Let potatoes sit over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until
ready to serve.

13. Brunswick Stew (Bobby Flay with Bob Garner)

2 qrt water
1 (3 1/2-lb) whole chicken, cut up
1 (15 oz) can baby lima beans, undrained
1 (8 oz) can baby lima beans, undrained
2 (28 oz) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 (16 oz) pkg frozen baby lima beans
3 med potatoes, peeled and diced
1 lg yellow onion, diced
2 (15 oz) cans cream-style corn
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp hot sauce

Recipe courtesy Bob Garner; Author North Carolina Barbecue
Episode#: BF1C24

Bring water and chicken to a boil in a Dutch oven. Reduce heat, and
simmer for 40 min. or until tender. Remove chicken, and set aside.
Reserve 3 cup broth in Dutch oven. Pour canned lima beans and liquid
through a wire-mesh strainer into Dutch oven. Reserve beans. Add
tomatoes to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook,
stirring often, for 40 min. or until liquid is reduced by 1/3
Skin, bone, and shred chicken. Mash reserved beans with a potato
masher. Add chicken, mashed and frozen beans, potatoes, and onions to
Dutch oven. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for 3 hours and 30
minutes. Stir in corn and remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat,
stirring often, for 1 additional hour

Servings - 3 1/2 quarts

Prep Time - 20 min
Cooking Time - 6 hrs
Difficulty - Easy
Source - bbq list

14. Smoked Pork Shoulder (Bobby Flay with Bob Garner - Includes
Vinegar Sauces)

1 (5 to 6 lb) pork shoulder or Boston butt pork roast
2 tsp salt
10 lb hardwood charcoal, divided
Hickory wood chunks

Cider Vinegar Barbecue Sauce:
1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp hot sauce
1 tsp browning and seasoning sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Peppery Vinegar Sauce:
1 qrt cider vinegar
1 Tbsp dried crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper

Recipe courtesy Bob Garner; Author North Carolina Barbecue
Episode#: BF1C24

Sprinkle pork with salt. Cover and chill for 30 minutes
Prepare charcoal fire with half of charcoal in grill. Let burn 15 to
20 min. or until covered with gray ash. Push coals evenly into piles
on both sides off grill. Carefully place 2 hickory chunks on top of
each pile, and place food rack on grill
Place pork, meaty side down, on rack directly in center of grill.
Cover with lid, leaving ventilation holes completely open
Prepare an additional charcoal fire with 12 briquettes in an auxiliary
grill or fire bucket. let burn for 30 min. or until covered with gray
ash. Carefully add 6 briquettes to each pile in smoker. Place 2 more
hickory chunks on each pile. repeat procedure every 30 minutes. You
will continue to cook the pork, covered for 5 hours and 30 minutes, or
until meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers at
least 165° F. Turn the pork once during the last 2 hours
Remove pork from the grill. Cool slightly. Chop and serve with Cider
Vinegar Barbecue Sauce or Peppery Vinegar Sauce
Cider Vinegar Barbecue Sauce: Stir together all ingredients in a med
saucepan. Cover over med heat, stirring constantly for 7 min. or until
sugar dissolves. Cover and chill sauce until ready to serve. Yield: 2
cups
Peppery Vinegar Sauce: Stir all ingredients together, blending well.
Yield: 4 cups

Servings - 6

Prep Time - 10 min
Inactive Prep Time - 30 min
Cooking Time - 5 1/2 hrs
Total Time - 6 hrs 10 min
Difficulty - Medium
Source - bbq list

All recipes CookWare Deluxe - http://www.DigitalFriedChicken.com

John Douglas

May 25, 2009, 5:09:05 PM5/25/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tom,

I am going to separate these recipes into my folders.............which reminds me it is time to back all of my recipes up.

John

Tom in Virginia Beach

May 25, 2009, 6:38:39 PM5/25/09
to The Smoke Ring BBQ List

On May 25, 5:09 pm, "John Douglas" <JohnDoug...@cox.net> wrote:
> Thanks Tom,
>
> I am going to separate these recipes into my folders.............which reminds me it is time to back all of my recipes up.

John, try the Piedmont slaw sometime and let me know what you think of
it. It's a big favorite with me and my family but the (non NC)
neighbors don't care for it at all.

Tom in Virginia Beach

Kye...@aol.com

May 26, 2009, 7:12:45 AM5/26/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Just catching up on the list. Bob Garner's an expert on NC BBQ. He also did a series on the NC PBS about NC BBQ. Very good. I can't wait for someone to ask about Texas Pete. Some time back there was a discussion about hot sauces and no one mentioned it. I didn't because I figured that it was probably regional and not many would be familiar with it. For the curious, Texas Pete is made in Winston-Salem, NC by the Garner Company. Very similar to McIlhenny Tabasco.

Ken in NC

In a message dated 5/25/2009 3:34:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mk3...@cox.net writes:

My copy of his book was published in 1996 and I'm not sure it's still
in print.  If it is, I advise everyone interested in NC bbq to get a

Frank Boyer

May 26, 2009, 8:52:49 AM5/26/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

James Early did a book on Tar Heel BBQ that is very good. He went to most joints in NC and did a review.

Frank

Ken in NC

<BR

Mike Chester

May 26, 2009, 12:16:32 PM5/26/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Just catching up on the list. Bob Garner's an expert on NC BBQ. He also did a series on the NC PBS about NC BBQ. Very good. I can't wait for someone to ask about Texas Pete. Some time back there was a discussion about hot sauces and no one mentioned it. I didn't because I figured that it was probably regional and not many would be familiar with it. For the curious, Texas Pete is made in Winston-Salem, NC by the Garner Company. Very similar to McIlhenny Tabasco.

Ken in NC

Texas Pete is readily available in Michigan, so its region must be fairly large.  I find it to be a somewhat mild, but flavorful hot sauce similar to Frank's Red Hot more than Tabasco, but that is with my taste buds.  It is cheap, usually under $1.00 for a bottle.  I like it sprinkled on fried chicken when I want to add a mild kick.  For someone wanting flavor more than scorching heat, it is a very good sauce.  IMNSHO

Mike Chester

2fa...@gmail.com

May 26, 2009, 1:12:41 PM5/26/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Agree with your assesment of the hot sauce---doesn't have the strong vinegar flavour of the Tabasco line of sauces----good and cheap really fits the bill

From: "Mike Chester"
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:16:32 -0400
To: <SmokeR...@googlegroups.com>

Tom in Virginia Beach

May 26, 2009, 5:46:42 PM5/26/09
to The Smoke Ring BBQ List

On May 26, 1:12 pm, 2fat...@gmail.com wrote:
> Agree with your assesment of the hot sauce---doesn't have the strong vinegar flavour of the Tabasco line of sauces----good and cheap really fits the bill

I carry a small bottle of Texas Pete whenever I go out to eat. Most
restaurants here stock it. A little dash in a bloody mary does
wonders for that drink. Far superior to Tabasco IMO.

It's a must add for any bbq sauce I make. It was always on the table
when I was a kid back in North Carolina.

I seem to recall Henry Bacarisse had some contacts with the company a
while ago.

It's good stuff.

Tom in Virginia Beach

John Douglas

May 27, 2009, 11:13:10 AM5/27/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
A friend attended a family renunion in a small town in Northen Okla this past weekend and said he had the best "fried" chicken ever. The surprise was no skin on the chicken, but it looked like regular fried chichen so my guess is flowered chicken, egg bath and then something like Panko with herbs and spices............any thoughts about how this was done?

John

Kyle Aylor

May 27, 2009, 3:00:45 PM5/27/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

John,

Why you would want skinless fried chicken is beyond me, but crushed corn flakes, bread crumbs, panko, cornmeal or flour should work fine.

Kyle

May 27, 2009, 11:42:19 PM5/27/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

John,
My fried chicken is always skinless. Here's a skillet full of breasts.
Double dredged in egg wash and flour and into a hot skillet of oil. Good
stuff!

Merrill

Fried Chicken.jpg

Ed Hood

May 28, 2009, 12:22:21 AM5/28/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Merrill, I'm sure the "who ever" police will be after you! :-)

Ed
Kansas

PS: looks good...

buzz

May 28, 2009, 6:16:05 AM5/28/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
looks darn good---frying chicken always gives me fits!!
May 28, 2009, 6:45:59 AM5/28/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I don't get it. Frying in all that oil is "bad" enough... what's a
little skin?

As always, I agree with Julia Child. All things in moderation.

PS The picture DOES look good!

Gerry Curry
ge...@currysystems.com

John Douglas

May 28, 2009, 9:38:31 AM5/28/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Merrill,

That looks great.

For those that replied that frying is bad enough, what is a little fat from the skin.............IMO, that is the point of doing it this way. You get the crispy crust without all of the fat from the skin. I have health reasons for restricting fat not to mention gaining weight. My understanding is if you keep the oil temp in the 360-380 range it does not "soak" up the grease. That said, even though I love the taste I very seldom fry anything. I try to do it in the oven if possible, knowing of course that it will not be as good.

One of my problems with frying fish for instance is the lingering smell the next day. I will save the grease for about a total of three cooks even though the time between frying may be weeks. That may be the problem for the smell, but I hate to throw out the oil after just one fry. In the future I will be doing it outdoors, either on the gas grill or a gas burner if necessary. Any thoughts?

john

Gerry Curry

May 28, 2009, 9:45:23 AM5/28/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
My wife won't let me deep or shallow fry anything in the house. Can't boil lobster or clams either. All that gets done on a gas burner or my deep fat fryer, out in the shed, conveniently located between the house and the Ole' Outhouse Smokehouse. Convenient that is, except when it's raining. (grin)

I also keep my Weber kettle there too, and wheel it out when I need to use it.

On 28-May-09, at 10:38 AM, John Douglas wrote:

In the future I will be doing it outdoors, either on the gas grill or a gas burner if necessary. Any thoughts?

Bill Martin

May 28, 2009, 10:09:04 AM5/28/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
If you "fry" correctly, the crust that instantly forms, blocks the oil
from penetrating; and your food won't be "greasy".

Pick up Alton Brown's book: I'm Just Here For The Food. He does a
great essay, with pictures, about the science of "correct" frying.

One of the problems is overcrowding the pan, thus dropping the temp of
the oil too low to do its job properly.

Bill

On May 28, 2009, at 5:45 AM, Gerry Curry wrote:

> I don't get it. Frying in all that oil is "bad" enough... what's a
> little skin?

When you're up to your ass in crocodiles, it can be difficult to
remember that the original objective was to drain the swamp!

Danny Gaulden

May 28, 2009, 10:42:07 AM5/28/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Just one thought, John, and you may already know this.  If you are using liquid cooking oil, once it is open, it will go rancid and pick up an "off" taste after a couple of weeks if keeped at room temperature.  It must be kept in a refrigerator.  Fried in or not.  Hydrogenated oils like Crisco can be kept on the shelf  for a much longer time without a problem.

Danny

May 28, 2009, 4:50:05 PM5/28/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

My wife can't eat grease fried stuff so I do that a lot. You hit it on
the head, flour, egg, panko (you can season the flour and panko with
garlic, onion powders, chili, whatever you like). Either bake at 400 for
about 20 minutes, or fry in just a bit of oil in a non-stick pan. I've
not figured out how to bbq them though.

--
Pete

2fa...@gmail.com

May 28, 2009, 5:21:48 PM5/28/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
So you are saying that those 5 different bottles of oil in pantry should be in the fridge? Interesting----what about the qt of lard on counter--hehe

From: Danny Gaulden
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 07:42:07 -0700 (PDT)
To: <SmokeR...@googlegroups.com>

Will Syrup

May 28, 2009, 6:38:07 PM5/28/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I kick it up a notch and use 1/2 flour- 1/2 corn starch--egg wash--1/2
panko-1/2 fresh grated parmesan cheese, granulated garlic, mixed Italian
herbs. good with both chicken or pork chops.--deep fried, pan fried or oven
fried.
Will

May 28, 2009, 6:43:32 PM5/28/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
that's where induction heat really shines -I can heat oil to the desired
temp. in just a few minutes add food and the temp. is back up before you can
blink your eye.
Will

He was talking bout the most of us,  Butt in yer case you just set em on the back porch and knock off the snow!<GGG>  Pigman

From: Danny Gaulden <dann...@yahoo.com>

Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 07:42:07 -0700 (PDT)

To: <SmokeR...@googlegroups.com>

Just one thought, John, and you may already know this.  If you are using liquid cooking oil, once it is open, it will go rancid and pick up an "off" taste after a couple of weeks if keeped at room temperature.  It must be kept in a refrigerator.  Fried in or not.  Hydrogenated oils like Crisco can be kept on the shelf  for a much longer time without a problem.

Danny

May 29, 2009, 2:42:24 AM5/29/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
buzz wrote:
> looks darn good---frying chicken always gives me fits!!

When I was in 9th grade we moved cities and my mom was on contract with
the local school district. If she broke her contract, she couldn't teach
in another district that year. She commuted two hours each way, so I
got the Mon-Fri. assignment of cooking dinner. She had to eat it too,
so she taught me some of her secrets...fried chicken and pie crusts are
the two that I have maintained. I seem to have conveniently forgotten
anything she said about cooking vegetables! :)

Merrill

Jack Waiboer

May 29, 2009, 6:35:47 AM5/29/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I cut meat for a large supermarket chain here in town for a few years. The
place was known for great fried chicken. Better than any of the others in
the chain. Folks would come to that store just for the chicken. The young
lady who always fried the chicken was fairly young and attractive. One day
I asked her about her secrets for cooking fried chicken and where a nice
girl like her learned to fry chicken like that. She curtly and honestly
told me "prison". My brain wouldn't let me take the converstation the
direction I wanted, so I nodded my head and muttered "well now, they sure do
eat good fried chicken in prison". Her response(and I use the line often
today) was "the only thing better than fried chicken... is more fried
chicken"
:))

Jack W.
Charleston, SC

May 29, 2009, 8:29:32 AM5/29/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
OK, I have the canola oil in the frig now, what about olive oil? I realize any thing with oil in it can spoil, I keep pecans, nuts, etc in the freezer.

John

2fa...@gmail.com

May 29, 2009, 8:35:24 AM5/29/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Finally figured out pie crusts--3-2-1 recipe works great(food processor helps) and I married a woman good with a rolling pin!! And I know that whenever chicken gets fried it gets over engineered too!

May 29, 2009, 8:57:17 AM5/29/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Your right---we got it good for sure--plus the blue hairs are driving their Buicks in your neck of the woods<sf>

From: Pigm...@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 22:17:01 EDT

John Douglas

May 30, 2009, 5:43:18 PM5/30/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Are you using a built in or portable stove?
John
May 30, 2009, 6:14:57 PM5/30/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

I know it borders on sacrilege but Sandra and I are looking for a good quality electric grill, strictly for steaks, dogs, burgers, etc. Totally based on ease of use and cleanup when time is an issue. Any recommendations for $250 or less?

Kyle

Bruce Cook

May 30, 2009, 6:40:54 PM5/30/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

George Foreman.

May 30, 2009, 6:55:13 PM5/30/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
The brinkman red round smoker, under $100.00 it’s a multi-tasker you can use it as a grill put the soaked wood chunks on opposite side of the
item being grilled cover with lose lid (don't use the cylinder) and you got flavor baby. This smoker is also great for smoking Ribs, Turkey, Tri Tip whatever.

Will Syrup

May 30, 2009, 7:34:04 PM5/30/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I've had both conventional gas and electric cooktops and this beats them all by a long shot. this has been used daily since Dec. 2004 and it's as clean as the day it was installed. we use a damp paper towel and a little salt to wipe it off and that’s it. and as Danny said they are now available with 5 burners, but with just 2 of us 99 percent of the time this works out great. over the years I had collected a large number of calphalon cookware pots and pans. 1st morning after we moved in I put a pan on to cook breakfast, OOPS , nothing works. so a whole new set of pans was required .

Bill Martin

May 30, 2009, 8:12:30 PM5/30/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
My sis has one that whacks right up into the 600-700 degree range.
Looks like a Weber Kettle on steroids. Heavy duty, wheels, easy
cleaning.

Char Broil
Electric Patio Caddy

This is it: <http://tinyurl.com/opfhe5>

And its within the budget.

I like it!!

Bill

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,
you've got it made. -Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Will Syrup

May 30, 2009, 8:27:20 PM5/30/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
oops, your in trouble- 3 things you should never mention on this list--FOIL---LIQUID SMOKE---SOAKED WOOD CHUNKS. Winking smile emoticon

Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:55 AM

Kyle Aylor

May 30, 2009, 8:42:38 PM5/30/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Oooh...that one I like. That's along the lines of what we are looking for.
Strictly outdoors, high temp and on a stand. Nice.

PS- GO REDWINGS!

May 31, 2009, 2:29:05 PM5/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info Will.

Is anyone using a portable induction stove and if so what brand?

Viking is a little steep for me, but it seems  there is a problem with most of them only heating a 5 inch circle in the middle.

I have decided to not fry fish in the house anymore and I have experimented with using the gas grill and it takes awhile to get the oil up to 165-75 and that is taking the grill, briquettes out of it.

John

Eddie

May 31, 2009, 5:27:18 PM5/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I have decided to not fry fish in the house anymore and I have experimented with using the gas grill and it takes awhile to get the oil up to 165-75 and that is taking the grill, briquettes out of it.

John
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.0.0.18 - 10.004.009).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

John Douglas

May 31, 2009, 5:42:57 PM5/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
OOPS!!!!
May 31, 2009, 6:25:57 PM5/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
well worth the money IMHO

hogc...@charter.net

Steve Sheffield

May 31, 2009, 9:13:23 PM5/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Do these have the burner underneath (versus in a tube above the bottom of the cooking chamber)? Supposedly the raised burner allows breading etc to fall below the burner into a cool(er) zone rather than burning on the bottom.

I don't know if it works, but I have burnt a lot of breading that fell off.

Steve Sheffield

Neil Fisher

May 31, 2009, 10:11:54 PM5/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

Perhaps you should look into one of these Steve! J

I saw this on the net several years back but I’ve never run across any actual applications.

Neil

John Douglas

Jun 1, 2009, 9:16:18 AM6/1/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I have read most of the reviews on this unit and several others and the thing that bothers me is the reviews stating that the actual working part is in a small circle in the center. I assume the built-ins do not have that problem
John