Smarty on Github, possibility?

Fran Diéguez

Jan 19, 2014, 5:14:52 PM1/19/14
to smarty-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm writing this message to ask developers why they don't create a repository mirror on GitHub, or even move Smarty development to Github.
The main reason to ask for this is to speed up composer installations (https://packagist.org/packages/smarty/smarty), as for now using svn it is quite slow to use.

Using Git has a lot of advantages:
  • Git is much faster than Subversion
  • Git's repositories are much smaller than Subversions (for the Mozilla project, 30x smaller)
  • Git was designed to be fully distributed from the start, allowing each developer to have full local control
  • Git branches are simpler and less resource heavy than Subversion's
  • Git branches carry their entire history
 - and many more.

I think this move will also help Smarty to get contributions from other users, given the large community of PHP developers in Github.

Regards.

aurelien gerits

Jan 19, 2014, 5:20:00 PM1/19/14
to smarty-d...@googlegroups.com
+1 @Fran Diéguez

Créateur de Magix CMS
Créateur de Magix cjQuery
Mon CV Web : Aurelien-gerits
Administrateur de Magix Dev, une agence web proche du client

uwe.tews

Jan 19, 2014, 5:28:51 PM1/19/14
to smarty-d...@googlegroups.com
The up cumming Smarty 3.2  will be on GitHub. (I  use it already internally during the development)

For some reason Monte decided a while ago not to convert Smarty 2 and Smarty 3.1   at  this time.

Of cause all your arguments are right.

Uwe

Donald Organ

Jan 19, 2014, 9:00:33 PM1/19/14