Request: add labels to filter buttons

Christian Marcos

May 14, 2020, 6:38:45 AM5/14/20
to SmartSVN

Hi. I have a really hard time remembering what file filter button icon does what, and I constantly need to hover each button to find the one I need. Super frustrating!

An option in preferences to enable labels for these buttons would be appreciated.

Attached a screenshot of the buttons I'm talking about.

Tanks.

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 10.28.22.png

Michael Ryan

Oct 31, 2020, 1:11:00 AM10/31/20
to SmartSVN
I would appreciate text label buttons, as I usually have to review the tooltips whenever I want to toggle one of those buttons.

The difference between the "Unchanged" and "Ignored" icons is very subtle, especially in the dark theme where the subdued black outline is lost against the dark background. The same goes for the "Subdirectories" and "Change Set" button icons, where there's just a touch of pink or red on one icon. For those with protanomaly (reduced sensitivity to red light) or protanopia, there would be less difference.

In the following dark theme example, the "ChangeSet" icon would look slightly grey compared to the "SubdirectorContents".

SmartSVN-Icons.png

When the window is full screen, there's plenty of room on that toolbar for wider text buttons. Unfortunately, I usually snap the SmartSVN window to half of a 1920x1200 display, and that leaves much less room for wider buttons, but I could always change the layout and relocate the Directories panel from it's default position left of the Files panel.

If text labels cannot be used instead of buttons, perhaps different icons would help.

SmartSVN Support

Oct 31, 2020, 3:52:16 AM10/31/20
to smar...@googlegroups.com
What different icons you suggest?

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/de96aa11-f7dd-4a68-be1c-4fee4a1820d0n%40googlegroups.com.

Michael Ryan

Oct 31, 2020, 9:07:50 PM10/31/20
to SmartSVN
That's a good question.

I use Font Awesome with personal projects, so I've provided some options below, but there should be other examples of icons and symbols that could be used to represent the visibility states.

Perhaps something like these:

Michael Ryan

Oct 31, 2020, 9:30:44 PM10/31/20
to SmartSVN
Actually, the file with the plus looks more like it should be associated with the "Added File" state, an "asterisk" or "star" symbol might work better for "Unversioned Files".

Michael Ryan

Nov 1, 2020, 2:42:25 AM11/1/20
to SmartSVN
I was testing out some custom icons for that toolbar and dropped them into the "smartsvn.jar", overwriting the icons that ship with SmartSVN.

It would be cool if custom themes could references custom icons as well. I don't think that's possible, but I only played with custom themes a little bit a long while ago.

That is what is looks like with the dark theme.

Photoshop_9xKEHn8aKr.png

I attached a zip containing the individual PNG files and the source PSD.

SmartSVN Custom Icons.7z