local ignore list/view for versioned files

Chris D

Oct 4, 2018, 3:21:06 AM10/4/18
to SmartSVN
Dear all,

The following use case is quite common for me:

I have lots of entries in the files view (changed, added, removed, moved etc.) and some of them are just local development changes I DO NOT want to commit (like resource files).

Still, those files have changes and appear in the list. It's a real pain to figure out each time which files to commit and which not. This process is extremely prone to mistakes, which I don't like.

As far as I am aware, svn:ignore is not an option. I don't want to share any of it. My team should not have any global ignores on their folders just because of my local resource changes. Also, if we're about to introduce a real svn:ignore entry, I don't want them to mix with my local ignores.

I'm looking for a safe and easy way to have a local ignore list that is not shared in any way. Something like global ignores in the project settings, but which is
a) working for versioned (!) files
b) not global
c) working with absolute and relative paths and not just patterns

The easiest way I can imagine is a filter on the "Files" tab where I can ignore files for "resources/*.xml", like a different view on a list.

Thank you!

SmartSVN Support

Oct 4, 2018, 7:58:07 AM10/4/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
> I have lots of entries in the files view (changed, added, removed, moved etc.) and
> some of them are just local development changes I DO NOT want to commit (like
> resource files).

Regarding "untracked" files, they should probably not be versioned at all and should be ignored.

Regarding all other changes, the best you may currently do with Subversion is to assign your files to Changes Sets and commit only selected Change Sets or skip files which are assigned to Change Sets from committing.

Just a side note: with Git, this will be significantly easier, because you can split your changes into separate local commits, rearrange and amend them and only push those (down-most) local commits which you consider ready to be shared.

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz