More External-Support

stepha...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2023, 5:24:26 AM12/1/23
to SmartSVN
Hi SmartSVN-Team and Users,

we are working with lots of externals at work projects. Most of the time the externals are at a fixed revision to ensure a fully working checkout later (month/years later) without getting the new and possible incompatible HEAD of the externals.
On the other hand, while we are working on a project, we occasionally want to upgrade the integrated externals to the latest version (HEAD). Currently this involves a lot of annoying steps, like manual editing every external entry, search the HEAD revision and set the external to this specific revision.

Possible solutions are:
A) In the externals-edit-dialog:
- with multi selection
- context menu: Pin to highest revision (current HEAD revision)
- context menu: Unpin (Set to HEAD)
- context menu: Update fixed revision to HEAD revision (combination of Unpin + Pin)

B) As context menu actions on an folder with set externals property
- same actions as under solution A)
- actions will act on all configured externals at this folder

Our current work around is to use TortoiseSVN for this approach only, but thats frustrating.

What is your opinion on this? Is there a possible solution for it?

Thanks
Stephan Krause

SmartSVN Support

Dec 8, 2023, 6:41:23 AM12/8/23
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the suggestion.

> A) In the externals-edit-dialog:
> - with multi selection
> - context menu: Pin to highest revision (current HEAD revision)
> - context menu: Unpin (Set to HEAD)
> - context menu: Update fixed revision to HEAD revision (combination of
> Unpin + Pin)

SmartSVN 14.5 preview 1 will contain the options in the edit-externals dialog to set the selected externals to HEAD or to the latest revision.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/76ea088c-8de1-4c10-989a-8fa85a103b1en%40googlegroups.com.

stepha...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2023, 4:45:48 AM12/20/23
to SmartSVN
Hi Thomas,

Thank you very much for the response! My team and I are looking forward to the new release.

I have another feature request regarding the externals. I often have multiple externals pointing to a branch. I frequently need to switch between them, requiring manual editing of the URL for each entry. It would be very useful to simplify this process as well and, similar to the "Switch" button in the project, be able to select a different branch, tag, or trunk more easily.

Our current workaround is once again TortoiseSVN advanced edit mode of the externals property -> copy the text to a text editor and use the search&replace function -> copy back to TortoiseSVN.

Tanks and best regards,
Stephan Krause

Externals.png

SmartSVN Support

Jan 5, 2024, 2:12:17 PMJan 5
to smar...@googlegroups.com
There is no need to use TortoiseSVN. You can also edit the svn:externals property with Properties | Edit Properties in SmartSVN.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer