Can I restore the display of developer names in the log view in 21.1?

Michael Geary

Jul 19, 2021, 2:51:24 AMJul 19
to SmartGit
I just updated to 21.1 and it seems very nice so far, with one exception.

20.x and earlier versions showed me the actual developer's name for each commit in the log view. This was very useful: I relied on it to understand who did what.

21.1 has changed this to show only a tiny square icon for each developer, with the first and last initials inside the icon. The font size for these initials seems to vary depending on the actual letters. For example, we have two developers whose initials are AV and ML. ML's initials are much smaller than AV's.

I realize that this icon supports Gravatar, but I seem to be the only person on our team who has a Gravatar icon. But if the other team members did have Gravatars, it would be even worse. When I look at my own icon (a photo of my face) I can barely tell that it's me.

I searched everywhere in the Preferences, including the Low-level Properties, but did not find any setting that would let me change these icons back to the previous display of the developer name.

It is quite possible that I missed something, so I would be grateful for any advice on any way to restore the developer display name.

If there isn't a way to do it, I will have to revert to the last 20.x version, as I rely on this feature every day.

(And yes, I realize I should have tried out some of the 21.1 prereleases so I could have given feedback earlier - sorry about that!)

Thanks,

-Mike

syntevo Support

Jul 19, 2021, 3:08:42 AMJul 19
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

In the hamburger menu ☰ of each pane you can configure the pane. In the hamburger menu for the Graph view you will find a submenu Author Avatar (or Committer Avatar) with options to change that display, e.g. Author with Full Name.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartgit/256388d5-6cce-41de-8304-944f97909782n%40googlegroups.com.

Michael Geary

Jul 19, 2021, 3:16:45 AMJul 19
to SmartGit
Oh! Thomas, thank you.

Silly me, I didn't even notice that there was a hamburger menu there - and it has all kinds of interesting options I will take a look at.

Problem solved! :-)