Distributed reviews

Roland Bengtsson

May 3, 2021, 12:56:01 AMMay 3
to SmartGit
I watched the video https://youtu.be/8eSjN3B6lm0 about pullrequests and reviews.
My question are. Is it mandatory that all parts have SmartGit ?
I ask because this seems to be a feature in git not in Smartgit so there is a standard protocol ?

Regards
Roland Bengtsson

syntevo Support

May 3, 2021, 1:41:57 AMMay 3
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roland,

Yes, SmartGit stores the whole data in the standard Git repository. We are not aware of any other Git client that supports the Distributed Review features.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartgit/6791cdeb-1389-4efd-b415-19b6f6e8ec9dn%40googlegroups.com.

Roland Bengtsson

May 5, 2021, 2:03:03 AMMay 5
to SmartGit
Ok but I mean can I create a pull request in Smartgit even if the user that approve it don't use smartgit ?

When I try Review/Configure this dialog is shown

Do you really want to configure SmartGit's review database for your GitHub repository?

This repository is connected to a GitHub server. GitHub comes with its own reviewing concepts, like commit comments and pull requests. Hence, you probably do not want to have SmartGit's review database in addition to GitHub's existing capabilities.

So it feels I force everyone using Smartgit in the team.

Regards Roland

syntevo Support

May 5, 2021, 3:25:49 AMMay 5
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roland,

Like I wrote, I don't know of any other Git client that supports Distributed Reviews. So according to my knowledge, the user without SmartGit with Distributed Review will not be able to use it.

> *This repository is connected to a GitHub server. GitHub comes with its own
> reviewing concepts, like commit comments and pull requests. Hence, you
> probably do not want to have SmartGit's review database in addition to
> GitHub's existing capabilities.*

Distributed Review add-on is meant to be an *alternative* to repository hosting providers with review features.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

05/05/2021 08:03 - Roland Bengtsson wrote:

> Ok but I mean can I create a pull request in Smartgit even if the user that
> approve it don't use smartgit ?
>
> When I try Review/Configure this dialog is shown
>

> *Do you really want to configure SmartGit's review database for your GitHub
> repository?*
>

> *This repository is connected to a GitHub server. GitHub comes with its own
> reviewing concepts, like commit comments and pull requests. Hence, you
> probably do not want to have SmartGit's review database in addition to
> GitHub's existing capabilities.*
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartgit/9f8e08c2-4ae7-4930-86fd-4c74c59e4a31n%40googlegroups.com.

Jeff Jensen

May 5, 2021, 8:41:49 AMMay 5
to smar...@googlegroups.com
> Ok but I mean can I create a pull request in Smartgit even if the user that approve it don't use smartgit ?

Yes. We do it all the time (to BitBucket currently).  There is no evidence that one created the PR with SG or BB.