Why can't we cherry-pick from a PR?

Infinite Persistence

Sep 14, 2021, 9:39:42 PMSep 14
to SmartGit
In the image below, I was trying to cherry-pick from the `Pull Request #7096..` commit, but the option is grayed out.

The PR comes externally from a fork, so I'm guessing the git command line doesn't handle both github PR and forks.
  • However, I was able to create a `caret` branch on it, so why can't I cherry pick.
  • Interestingly, the "merge" option became available after the branch is created, although cherry-pick remains grayed out.  If we can merge, we should be able to cherry-pick, no?
    • Ultimately, I used the "merge" option to do a squash commit, which ends up equivalent to a cherry-pick. It was just for quick-testing without switching branches, so the authorship didn't matter.
Screenshot from 2021-09-15 09-31-27.png

Keep up the great work, guys!

syntevo Support

Sep 15, 2021, 4:15:07 AMSep 15
to smar...@googlegroups.com
> In the image below, I was trying to cherry-pick from the `Pull Request
> #7096..` commit, but the option is grayed out.

We have intentionally limited operations on pull request commits: these are no regular commits, but just temporarily created by SmartGit. Pull requests should be merged the regular ways, either from the GitHub site or using SmartGit's GitHub integration (Merge Pull Request).

> - However, I was able to create a `caret` branch on it, so why can't I
> cherry pick.

Right, that's a possible workaround, still not recommended.

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz