SmartGit & Smartcards (Yubikeys, 2FA)

Michael Graziano

Apr 2, 2021, 3:03:51 AMApr 2
to SmartGit
We're evaluating SmartGit at work as an option for our Windows users, and it's looking good except for one problem: We can't get the GUI to work with our SSH 2FA.

Accessing our repositories requires using an SSH key (from a YubiKey), then entering a separate password. This is working with the SmartGit-bundled git executable in a command prompt window (git fires up the system SSH client, asks for the YubiKey PIN, prompts for the password, and then behaves as we'd all expect git to behave), but when I set SmartGit up to use the system SSH client and try to pull from the GUI it fails (it never prompts the user for the SmartCard PIN, so that times out and blows up authentication chain).

Is there a way to force SmartGit to bring up the SSH command interactively? (I feel like I've got to be missing something stupidly obvious here, but I couldn't find a way to make this happen in SmartGit's preferences and the Almighty Google was no help.)

syntevo Support

Apr 2, 2021, 4:10:51 AMApr 2
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

This is expected behavior. SmartGit does not recognize that the system Git/SSH wants to get some input and simply waits for the Git process to finish.

> Is there a way to force SmartGit to bring up the SSH command interactively?

This is not possible.

Solution: you need to configure the system SSH that way that on command line Git/SSH does not ask for anything, e.g. with the help of an agent.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer