java -version works but SmartGit can't find java

Chris Murphy

Jun 6, 2021, 1:20:31 PMJun 6
to SmartGit
[chris@chris-latitudee7470 bin]$ ./smartgit.sh
Error: No Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 11 or higher found
[chris@chris-latitudee7470 bin]$ archlinux-java status
Available Java environments:
 java-15-openjdk (default)
 java-8-openjdk
[chris@chris-latitudee7470 bin]$ java -version
openjdk version "15.0.2" 2021-01-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 15.0.2+7)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 15.0.2+7, mixed mode)

As you can see java is set up but SmartGit can't find it. Is there something special I'm supposed to do here?

Moshe Katz

Jun 6, 2021, 1:43:05 PMJun 6
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Is the `JAVA_HOME` environment variable set?
I don't use Arch Linux myself, but it seems online that Arch might not set it automatically (as some other distributions do).

Moshe

Chris Murphy

Jun 7, 2021, 8:00:49 PMJun 7
to smar...@googlegroups.com
I fixed the problem. It was with the bundled version of `java` not having execute permissions. So the `JAVA_HOME` value was not relevant.

syntevo Support

Jun 8, 2021, 12:47:19 AMJun 8
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Do you mean the problem occurred because your copy process did not replicate the executable bit correctly?

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

06/08/2021 02:01 - Chris Murphy wrote:

> I fixed the problem. It was with the bundled version of `java` not having
> execute permissions. So the `JAVA_HOME` value was not relevant.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartgit/CA%2BXbZ_FJ--TnSNZh4vKocZ-DAQYLvBOn9-M8QHb_b1q4rKJkxA%40mail.gmail.com.

Chris Murphy

Jun 8, 2021, 2:19:30 AMJun 8
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I lost a HD so had to re-create a machine. I know to `cp -ar` for this (onto thumb drive and off it) but evidently I didn't follow my own advice. Your `java` executable ended up being all 'rw' and no 'x' when doing an `ls -al` on it.