SMART-on-FHIR

Christopher Howell

Jun 13, 2014, 9:57:27 AM6/13/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
I have been looking at SMART as an example of use of RDF to store patient data, and to deliver it to a client in RDF form. The FHIR API would seem to replace RDF with Resource instances as XML. If this is the case, would Containers as RDF graphs (which I assume they are) be no longer useful?

-Chris

Nikolai Schwertner

Jun 13, 2014, 10:11:25 AM6/13/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

RDF  is a useful technology, but unfortunately it is a tad intimidating for many developers as it is not standard fare outside the semantic web community. Beyond SMART Classic (what we now call the 0.6.2 version that is going into support-only mode), I am not aware of other APIs in the medical industry that employ RDF, so I doubt that we will see much of it around. At this point we are transitioning towards a new model that builds upon FHIR's data models while applying the coding system constraints of SMART and its app framework.  "SMART on FHIR" takes the best of the SMART and FHIR worlds and offers a unified platform for integrating medical apps into existing and new systems.

Hope this helps,
Nikolai

On 6/13/14 9:57 AM, Christopher Howell wrote:
I have been looking at SMART as an example of use of RDF to store patient data, and to deliver it to a client in RDF form. The FHIR API would seem to replace RDF with Resource instances as XML. If this is the case, would Containers as RDF graphs (which I assume they are) be no longer useful?

-Chris

Josh

Jun 13, 2014, 10:57:34 AM6/13/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
I should clarify that while SMART on FHIR doesn't provide direct access to RDF data from an EHR system, we are working to ensure that developers who want work work with these data as RDF have a good way to do so. To this end, we've:

1. Been participating in the W3C's Healthcare and Life Sciences Clinical Observation Interoperability workgroup, where we've drafted a set of RDF representations for FHRI data.

2. Supported David Booth's proposal to form an HL7 work group on RDF for Semantic Interoperability

Best,

  Josh
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to smart-app-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Christopher Howell

Jun 13, 2014, 12:30:12 PM6/13/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
A group in Agfa Healthcare, where I work, is promoting the development of a medical vocabulary on schema.org. I would like to see the entire SNOMED-CT available in RDF form. It seems possible since the Stated Form is available in OWL.