Using SMART Reference container

kench...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2014, 12:49:12 PM9/17/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am new to SMART framework. I read in the documentation that we can reuse the SMART reference container by replacing its data layer with our own data by replacing the PROXY_URL in setting.py file. Can anybody please elaborate on this. I also want to know how I proceed with reusing the container containing the patient and adding some other context information to it.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Anuja

Nikolai Schwertner

Sep 18, 2014, 12:09:56 PM9/18/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anuja,

In order to enable proxy mode within the SMART Classic reference container you will need to set up a REST service with a known URL (should be something on an internal network only accessible to the SMART server). After you set up the PROXY_URL in the settings.py file with your service's URL, the SMART server should begin sending patient data requests to your service to which it is expected to respond with proper SMART RDF appropriate for the request. We do have a sample implementation on Grails, but it's probably an overkill to dissect it. What I would do in your place is set up a dummy service that logs all incoming requests and responds with a static RDF XML string to test the functionality. This should give you an idea how to proceed further.

On a related note, we have shifted our development resources into SMART on FHIR (the next generation SMART framework). SMART Classic (the framework you are exploring) is currently frozen and with very limited support. SMART on FHIR is build on top of HL7 FHIR as its data modelling and REST call protocol and is designed to be highly modular. Unless you have a rigid requirement to work with SMART Classic, I would highly recommend investigating SMART on FHIR.

Best,
Nikolai

anuja kench

Sep 18, 2014, 7:18:38 PM9/18/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nikolai,

Thank you for your reply. I have started investigating SMART on FIHR framework. I would like to know if it has similar option to specify a PROXY_URL to fetch the patient  data.

Regards,
Anuja
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to smart-app-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Nikolai Schwertner

Sep 19, 2014, 11:40:25 AM9/19/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Well, the SMART on FHIR API Server reference implementation does not include a proxy feature. However, you have the options of:

   - modifying the API server code to use custom logic for data storage/retrieval
   - implement your own FHIR service (should not be too hard if you keep the scope limited)

SMART on FHIR is a very modular framework, so you can replace components at will.

-Nikolai
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to smart-app-develo...@googlegroups.com.