how to use RxNorm api

Chinmaya Parija

Feb 24, 2014, 4:48:31 AM2/24/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

i am chinmaya
i am a dot net devloper
i am devloping a EHR project
how to create drug inter action and allergy check using Rxnorm api

Nikolai Schwertner

Feb 24, 2014, 3:08:39 PM2/24/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Have you checked out the SMART developers' documentation:
http://docs.smartplatforms.org/

You may particularly be interested in the .NET client maintained by
USGovXML:
http://docs.smartplatforms.org/guide/client-libs/client-dotnet.html

Pascal Pfiffner

Mar 4, 2014, 6:15:51 PM3/4/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Also, if you're only looking to work with RxNorm, you might be interested in using RxNav, NLM's RxNorm API which can be used either with SOAP or REST: http://rxnav.nlm.nih.gov/RxNormAPIs.html#

Allen Flynn

Mar 4, 2014, 9:18:20 PM3/4/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Greetings.  I use RxNorm APIs for prescribable product and ingredient lookup, amongst other things.   Although there may be one, I am presently unaware of a drug-drug interaction API from RxNorm.  I use drug-drug interaction knowledge tables from other sources.  For allergy checking, though, RxNorm may suffice to identify products with the same or similar ingredients (TTY = IN, TTY = MIN).

- Allen

Sam Habiel

Mar 5, 2014, 12:16:34 PM3/5/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
I am curious: what are your other sources?

"I use drug-drug interaction knowledge tables from other sources. "

Sam

Mark Silverberg

Mar 5, 2014, 12:37:47 PM3/5/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
You all may want to look into RxMix which combnes RxNorm, RxTerms, NDF-RT, and RxImageAccess APIs. One of the examples on the front page is for drug interactions.

http://mor.nlm.nih.gov/RxMix/

Let me know if you want to discuss implementations or prototyping off of it. I've played with it, RxNorm, NLM Pillbox, and other drug databases (FDB, for example) quite a bit.

Mark / ma...@socialhealthinsights.com / @Skram

exim

Mar 5, 2014, 4:26:32 PM3/5/14
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
It's been a while since I looked into it but NDF-RT is one of the data sources that you will want to use.  You will need to use RxNorm to determine the ingredients.  Also, to be sure I got everything, I implemented recursive logic with the RxNorm lookup because of the thought that ingredients could have ingredients.  Once I got a complete list of ingredients, I used NDF-RT to determine the interactions for all of the ingredients, eliminating the duplicates.

I created a SMART app as well as a free mobile web app using the technique that I just referenced.  If anyone is interestd, the mobile app is at: http://m.usgovxml.com/drugint.aspx .  The SMART app  rxInfo contains the Drug-Drug interactions app.

Robert

Feb 10, 2015, 1:33:25 PM2/10/15
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com, ex...@comcast.net
Hi,

I am Amit I am PHP developer. i want to fetch all drugs name using TXnorm API please suggest me the name of API It is very urgent already i am running behind the schedule.I gone through the RxNorm API documentation but doesn't find.

Josh Mandel

Feb 10, 2015, 2:34:16 PM2/10/15
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com, Robert Loftin
Hi Amit,

It sounds like you want to contact the RxNorm API team. For details please see:

Best,

  Josh

exim

Feb 10, 2015, 7:34:08 PM2/10/15
to amitj...@gmail.com, smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amit,

Instead of using RxNorm to get all drugs, you might want to take a look at the National Drug Code Directory (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnDrugs/ucm142438.htm ) .  The NDC Directory contains a current list of all drugs that have been manufactured, prepared, propagated, compounded, or processed for commercial distribution.  One of the many benefits of this datasource is that you can get the official 10-digit FDA recognized NDC.   The data source contains over 87K+ unique drug products.

Note: Depending upon its source, the NDC can be in different formats (i.e. 14 digit "6-4-2" format, 10 digit "5-3-2", "4-4-2" or "5-4-1" formats, 12 digits with no dashes format, and the 11 digit, no dashes HIPAA format).

Also, there is a Drug Interactions API (http://usgovxml.com/DataService.aspx?ds=DRUGAPI ) that greatly simplifies the process of getting drug-drug interactions.  I am now using that API instead of the NDF-RT and recursive logic that I had previously implemented.  To use it, you must provide the RxNorm rxcui.  However, once you have the drug's NDC, there is a RxNorm API call that will provide you with the rxcui.

Robert Loftin
USGovXML.com

Mar 25, 2015, 10:24:21 AM3/25/15
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Is there any way to get severity level of drug-drug interaction to meet the 170.314a(2) requirement.
I tried the RxNorm interaction API that you mentioned but it always return "N/A" for severity field.

Thanks,
Khoan Nguyen.

duck...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2015, 10:24:21 AM3/25/15
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com

exim

Mar 25, 2015, 11:04:41 AM3/25/15
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Khoan,

I have not found a way to get severity information. The fact that the API
includes the severity field suggests that it might be included in some
future release.

We can only hope.

Robert
USGovXML.com

Mar 25, 2015, 1:35:22 PM3/25/15
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
I know from RxNorm that this is not in DrugBank.ca and can't be provided. You can amalgamate the info from Drugbank and combine it with the severities from NDFRT.
--
Sam Habiel, Pharm.D.
VISTA Expertise Network

suneeth...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2015, 8:03:56 AM6/9/15
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I have been facing with the same issue. Did you get a solution for finding the drug-drug interactions in RxNorm database. Please let me know.

Thank you.
Suneetha Vemula.

exim

Jun 9, 2015, 8:19:02 AM6/9/15
to smart-app-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I don't believe that drug-drug interactions are part of RxNorm.  However there is a drug-drug interactions API.

Robert
USGovXML.com