Integrating VSR with Orion Jr BMS

Chris Jones

Nov 30, 2018, 8:21:21 AM11/30/18
to Smart Alternator Regulator
I am currently in the middle of designing a system for our catamaran using an Orion Jr BMS, 400Ah LiFePo4 with 2 x VSR to control 120A alternators. I plan to use the CPE8 on the VSR for the battery profile and hope to use the Feature In port to regulate the alternator current into the battery to zero Amps. At present the Feature In port requires V Bat + to switch the regulator to "Balanced Float" Mode. My concern is that this is not really fail-safe since if there is no voltage at Feature In then the VSR will revert to Absorption/Bulk Modes with the potential for overcharging. Is it possible to change the logic of the Feature In port so that if V Bat + is present then the VSR operates in normal Absorption/Bulk Modes and if there is no voltage on Feature In then the VSR will operate in "Balanced Float" Mode?
I guess this will involve changes to the source code or maybe another option in the #define compile choices?

I would prefer to use the "Balanced Float" option described above but I could also use the BMS to turn off the VSR by turning off the power to "Enable", this will stop all charging from the alternator (I could also use this as a failsafe backup to the Feature In Balanced Float). From what I have read in the manual if the VSR is connected to USB then some portion of the VSR will take power from the USB and will still operate. Does this mean that the VSR will still allow the alternator to charge even if there is no Power to the Enable connection?

Obviously this is easily solved by cutting the 5V + wire in the USB cable so no power is supplied from the USB - I just want to understand how the VSR operates with power on USB and no power on Enable.

Cheers
Chris

Al Thomason

Nov 30, 2018, 8:45:49 PM11/30/18
to Chris Jones, smar...@googlegroups.com

Chris,

Hello.  Thanks for bringing this up in the mailing list, hope it can be of help for others as well.

Your timing is rather good – as at this moment I am working with Orion on creating a CAN configuration for their Orion Jr to tightly couple with the VSR Regulator, the Orion offerings are VERY flexible, and are based on J1939 as well!    So, some things to consider on your questions.

Feature-in fail-to-safe:   You have a really good point.   Maybe I should have turned the logic around!   But one idea, install about a 10K resistor between Feature-in and ALT+ (12v system).  Then have the Orion Jr. pull-down the Feature-in to ‘enable’ the charging cycle.  This way if something goes wrong, the Feature-in port will be pulled high and the regulator will go into Float.   Another thing to consider:  With proper configuration of the CPE, the regulator is fully able to decide on its own when to go into Float mode – it only lacks the cell-level measurements in case something goes off-balance in the battery.    To your concern of restarting a charge cycle in some system failure mode, the regulator will quickly realize the battery is full and go into float on its own preventing any risk of overcharging.  So, even without a pull-up on Feature-in to cause fail-to-safe, the regulator should in fact be able to properly and safely charge the battery  (outside of being able to see a battery cell imbalance).

In setting things up you have to primarily decide WHO will normally handle the charging cycle, and who will be the backup.  One option is to have the VSR regulator handle all the primary charging decisions, monitoring current and voltage and deciding when to go into Float, as well as when to exit float  (All defined by the CPEs).  In this setup you would have the Orion watching things, maybe have its trigger points a little higher than the ones used in the VSR. And in this setup the BMS would ONLY trigger the Feature-in port if something goes wrong, a cell out of balance, or whatever.  In fact, in this type of setup you might even consider having the BMS trigger a relay on the ENABLE line instead – idea being, the ONLY time the BMS would step in is if something was out of acceptable operating ranges.

The other approach is have the Orion be the primary control point, tell the regulator when to Charge, and when to go into Float – via the Feature-in port.   The VSR regulator would be configured as a backup, with its set points slightly higher – in case something happens with the BMS and/or wiring in the system.  I think both are viable – up to you which approach to take.

Another thing to figure out is how to give some warning of impending panic disconnect of the battery.  If the BMS decides to pull the plug and open the contactor even with a keeper battery there is a risk of a large voltage surge  (Good to add snubber / TVS diodes to the regulator in any case).  Worst case, the same signal that opens the contactor needs to cut the power to the VSR.  Better if there is a signal ahead of time to cut the power to the regulator and let the alternator ‘spin down’ for a second of two before the contactor to the battery is opened.

AND there is also the CAN communications option with the Orion as well, if you want to look at that path.

USB:  For longer term USB monitoring, you might consider installing a 1x5 header in the spot next to the USB connector.  This is pinned out for (one of) the standard PC motherboard USB header cables.  Get one, cut the +5 wire to keep the regulator from being powered on.   Note that even so, every time you connect a terminal program the regulator will reset.  This is part of the whole Arduino IDE and needed to be able to reflash.   You can try lifting  C13 to disable this (though you will need to reinstall it to upgrade firmware).  Another idea that might work, but I have not tested it, is place a large (ala, 47uF or larger) cap across the ICSP point pint 5 and 6.  (+ of cap on pin 5).  And one more option is to use an external USB to TTL adapter dongle, connecting Tx to ICSP pin 3, Rx to pin 4, and GND to pin 6.  Then connect your ‘monitor’ to this external dongle.  Key here is separating out the RTS signal which is used to auto-reset the Arduino CPUs.   Note that whatever you do you will need to disconnect it if you need to reflash.

There is also issues with ground loops in USB – it really was not designed for long distances.  You might google up ‘Ground Isolation USB’ and see some products that can help if needed.  In the end, if you are able to monitor via the CAN bus it will be a more reliable longer term solution – save the USB for close-up diagnostics.

OK, hope this gives you some idea.  Looking forward to what you have for the next step!

-al-

Viking Star

45' Monk Sr. / McQueen

mvVikingStar.blogspot.com

Chris Jones

Dec 3, 2018, 10:56:55 AM12/3/18
to Smart Alternator Regulator
Al,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Looking at things in a bit more detail I can see that I misunderstood the "Float" in CPE8. I had thought that you needed a signal on Feature In to activate the "Balanced Float" mode - however I can now see that under CPE8 the Float mode is always "Balanced Float" (unless set differently by the user). So this really means that it will be better to use the Orion BMS to turn off the Regulator via the "Enable" supply if the battery voltage gets above the set limit. The VSR will be left to manage the alternator and charging voltages with the Orion only taking over if things get out of hand. This solution also means that the Orion will have turned off the regulator before any possibility of the main contactor being opened by the Orion BMS.

Unfortunately the Orion units we have are not the CAN version so unable to use that route.

As far as the USB goes I think I will end up just using it for programming and diagnostics rather than continuous monitoring - especially since cable lengths on a catamaran from engine bay to saloon can get to be 8-10m long, probably far too long for USB and likely to cause headaches.

Chris

Al Thomason

Dec 4, 2018, 10:13:05 PM12/4/18
to Chris Jones, Smart Alternator Regulator

Chris, no problem.  Hope the exchange can be help to others as well!

What you say below is correct.  The function of Feature-in is normally to force the regulator into Equalize mode for CPE 1..7, but for CPE 8, Feature-in will force the regulator into Flat mode.  How Float responds is dependent on how it is configured.  By default the regulator regulators to 0A acceptance current in and out of the battery, but one could also set up Float to be a fixed voltage, to disable charging, etc…   AND not to confuse things, but Feature-in only forces the regulator into float, but that does not mean that Float cannot be entered via the ‘normal’ progression through the charge stages.

Looking forward to see what you end up with!

-al-

Viking Star

45' Monk Sr. / McQueen

mvVikingStar.blogspot.com

Rick Gleason

Jan 18, 2019, 6:20:13 PM1/18/19
to Smart Alternator Regulator

Dear Chris,

Have you proceeded with this installation using Orion Jr BMS?   If so, how do you like the OrionJr?
Are you using the ASR?

Chris Jones

Jan 25, 2019, 2:29:40 AM1/25/19
to Smart Alternator Regulator

Hi Rick,

We have just received our batteries so will be starting bench testing, charging, top balancing etc now. From my initial testing and setup the Orion Jr seems to be a very good option for a BMS, plenty of control outputs available and very customizable using the Orion software.

I will definitely be using the VSR alternator regulator in our system, hopefully a week or so should see most of the kit actually installed on the boat so will then be able to get on with "as installed" testing and configuration.

Will try and post details of progress as we go along.

fcgl...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2019, 7:15:16 AM1/25/19
to Chris Jones, Smart Alternator Regulator

Chris

That’s great news. Thankyou.  At the moment I am regretting not having ordered a VSR from Al earlier. Perhaps there is someone who is willing to sell one. I guess I’ll ask the group.

Would very much like to hear about your configuration.

Best

Rick

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> That’s great news. Thankyou.  At the moment I am regretting not having
> ordered a VSR from Al earlier. Perhaps there is someone who is willing
> to sell one. I guess I’ll ask the group.

Rick, I still have a used version 3a regulator available for $90 US plus
shipping.

fcgl...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2019, 7:35:04 AM1/25/19
to r...@pacificsun.ca, smar...@googlegroups.com

That’s also great. I’d like to buy it from you. How do we communicate? I don’t think I want to use the group and I don’t know if I should put my other email in here. Are you on the Cruiser

‘s Forum?  My user name is ‘rgleason’ there.  Maybe there is another way to do this.

Best

Rick

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

r...@pacificsun.ca

Jan 25, 2019, 8:15:17 AM1/25/19
to fcgl...@gmail.com, smar...@googlegroups.com
On 2019-01-25 4:35 a.m., fcgl...@gmail.com wrote:
> That’s also great. I’d like to buy it from you. How do we communicate? I
> don’t think I want to use the group and I don’t know if I should put my
> other email in here. Are you on the Cruiser
>
> ‘s Forum?  My user name is ‘rgleason’ there.  Maybe there is another way
> to do this.
>
> Best
>
> Rick

prviate email sent ...