Battery Temperature via CanBus

Chris Jones

Feb 6, 2019, 9:59:03 AM2/6/19
to Smart Alternator Regulator
We have two VSR regulators on our catamaran and the battery bank is in one hull so very close to one regulator but a long way from the other one!!

The regulators will be linked together with Cat5 cable via the RJ45 CanBus connectors on the boards - as far as I can see I only need to connect a battery temperature sensor to one regulator, the second regulator should get the information via the CanBus connection. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

We have LiFePo4 batteries so the battery temperature is not that important since it is not used in the Lithium charge profile, however it would be good to be able to have the battery temperature available at all regulators so I can set Max and Min Charging Temperature values.

Cheers Chris

Al Thomason

Feb 6, 2019, 3:42:17 PM2/6/19
to Chris Jones, Smart Alternator Regulator

Chris,

Yes:  You can set up the regs so that the one near the battery can be used to remotely send information to the far one.

The near regulator should be configured to be an RBM and let the far one enter ‘slave’ mode.   To do this make sure to configure the near regulator to be:  ‘Able to be RBM’, but also select the ‘Shunt is At Battery’ flag as well.  Then with the far regulator, de-select the ‘Able to be RMB’.   Doing this will assure that only the near regulator will try to ‘take charge’.   (Else you could end up with a kind of random situation given both regs are the same priority).

FWIW, once you do this you can also use the CAN to communicate battery current and voltage as well.  Ala, you could connect the VBAT+ and VBAT- sensor wires on the far regulator to its ALT+ and ALT-  vs. sending them all the way over to the battery.  For shunt, just leave the far regulators shunt unconnected.   This will work AS LONG AS both engines are running!  Obviously, if you expect to run with ONLY the far engine, then you will likely want to run all the sensor wires over.

Now.   If you do indeed do the above, then the near regulator should be fully configured with your desired charge profile.  In operation, it will take command and make sure both regulators work towards that goes.   However for the far regulator you should consider what you want it to do if something happens to the near regulators, ala if at some time the far regulator has to work in isolation.   Some choice might be just configured it to just enter a fixed voltage mode, something like 13.2v.  Enough to make sure the battery will not die, but not really give it a proper charge.

Of course, if you run all the sensing wires over you can have the far reg also follow a proper charge profile.

One last comment:   If you intend to use the ‘active regulate to 0A’ during float mode – then I would suggest you run the VBat and Current sensing wires from all regs to the battery, vs. using remote sensing via the CAN for the far regulator.  Reason is:  Though Voltage remote sensing works very well, buy the nature of current sensing – you might get into some funny interactions trying to use remote sensing and actively regulating the acceptance current.

Hope this helps, ask if anything is not clear and let us know how things work out!

-al-

Viking Star

45' Monk Sr. / McQueen

mvVikingStar.blogspot.com

Chris Jones

Feb 7, 2019, 1:10:31 PM2/7/19
to Smart Alternator Regulator
Hi Al,

Great info and very comprehensive reply as always!!

All regs have their own Battery sense and current shunt wires so they can operate fully independently. It really is only the Battery Temperature data that I need to communicate on CAN and even then it is only to enforce max and min charging temperatures - our cruising areas probably mean that the batteries will never be outside the temperature limits - so it is really a belt and braces backup.

We almost always use only one engine at a time, only time we use both engines is for close quarters manouvering. We probably only have both engines running together for around 5% of our total engine hours. I guess this means that the data will not be transmitted via CAN if one regulator is not working - makes perfect sense.

Cheers Chris

Al Thomason

Feb 7, 2019, 8:09:38 PM2/7/19
to Chris Jones, Smart Alternator Regulator

No problem Chris.

If you are indeed ping-ponging, then really the only choice is to install dedicated sensors to each regulator.  Sorry.

(Yes, a prime case for a dedicated RBM – it is something we are looking at, but no firm date yet. )

Oh, and make sure to update the firmware to the latest version . . hand-offs between port and starboard regs was one of the areas I worked on in that release.

-al-

Viking Star

45' Monk Sr. / McQueen

mvVikingStar.blogspot.com