Gen 3(a) regulators available

r...@pacificsun.ca

Nov 25, 2018, 4:49:53 PM11/25/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
My boating chapter in life has come to an end due to health reasons and
I have just sold my boat. I have two gen 3 (a) regulators available for
sale. There is one unit that was a spare and was never used and there
was a second unit that was used and was sent to Al once for repair and
upgrade. I am asking $100 US for the unused one and $90 US for the used
one. Shipping is extra and I figure $15 US if Canada Post ever makes up
their mind to work again.

Paul Willems

Dec 3, 2018, 3:30:11 AM12/3/18
to Smart Alternator Regulator
Hi. I am potentially interested. I'm new here, and currently trying for find the differences between the 3(a) and the 3(b). Am I correct that the 3(b) has the can bus added? Other than that, what are the other changes?

Al Thomason

Dec 3, 2018, 10:07:02 AM12/3/18
to Paul Willems, Smart Alternator Regulator

Hello, and welcome.

The two Gen 3 regulators are functionally the same – and both feature CAN communications.   The difference between them is the 3B:

·         Was laid out to fit a small Hammond project case.

·         Has had the FET driver upgraded to a part with more headroom for voltage spikes**

·         Comes with a TVS diode added to it**

·         Is shipped in the 12/24v configuration – to support 48v additional components are needed.

**  Over the years it has become apparent there are some alternators being remanufactured using standard diodes vs. Avalanche diodes.   DC systems are noise, with lots of spikes and pulses.  The purpose of using Avalanche Diodes is to snub those spikes – protecting electrical equipment, and without them electrical components are at risk.   This situating has resulted in some issues with the FET driver in the Gen 3 regulators, and after being able to reproduce the issue I added TVS diodes to the Gen 3B (Soldered on the bottom).  This part is an example which will work for 12/24v systems: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/512-P6KE43A

With the presence of proper Avalanche Diodes in the alternator, and/or the addition of the TVS diode:  Both the original Gen 3 and 3B should offer reliable service.

Hope this helps!

-al-

Viking Star

45' Monk Sr. / McQueen

mvVikingStar.blogspot.com

Paul Willems

Dec 3, 2018, 11:11:15 AM12/3/18
to Smart Alternator Regulator
Thanks Al for the detailed response.

In that case, I am a taker for the unused unit.

Paul Willems

Dec 3, 2018, 11:12:32 AM12/3/18
to Smart Alternator Regulator
Sounds good. I will head down to the engine room tomorrow just to have a good look at my alternator an confirm current setup is compatible.

If all is good, I will take the unused unit.

Thanks.

Paul Willems

Dec 4, 2018, 8:40:21 PM12/4/18
to Smart Alternator Regulator

OK, have done my due diligence, I'll take the regulator.

Would you please contact me at

Would you kindly contact me here to arrange details?
email.PNG

On a sidenote, does anyone have any experience modifying a Bosch style alternator to externally regulated? Think I've got it figured out, but any advice would be welcome :) .

r...@pacificsun.ca

Dec 5, 2018, 11:27:28 PM12/5/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
The unused regulator has sold but the used regulator is still available!

Thanks