Dash Display - Get them while they last!

Viking Star

Dec 14, 2018, 11:00:25 AM12/14/18
to Smart Alternator Regulator, Gerald Rubalcava

I have to admit – I have been sitting on these for perhaps 3 weeks now.  Wanted to get some good Action Photos, but truth be told . . . . .      So, this morning I just grabbed the attached.  (Also included some prior ‘action shots).

I have 3x dash displays that I making available on a 1st-come-1st-serve basis.  Price is $60 each, plus shipping via US Mail ($7.50 to US, $15 to Canada, $20 to ROW).

1st three units to receive payment via paypal @ ID al_th...@iname.com  get them.

Some details,

·         These are built by Gerald Rubalcava, who is CCed in this Email.

·         He is working on a new batch of displays, and will be offering them on his Tinder account:   https://www.tindie.com/stores/geraldjust/

·         The software for the OSE Dash is pre-loaded:  https://github.com/AlternatorRegulator/OSEnergy-Dash-Display

·         The small adapter board to expose the RJ45 jacks is also at the same github repository.

If you have a Gen 3B regulator all you need to do is connect up a CAT5 cable – as power is injected into the RJ45 connectors.  However, if you have a Gen 3 (the rectangular board) you will also need to provide power via the two large + and - lugs on the back of this display.  Note that this will inject power onto the RJ45 cables for future use.

Once connected the display will search out any OSEnergy compliant CAN traffic, and once found will monitor and display it.   No ‘configuration’ is needed, the display auto-configures to what it finds.  There are three touch-screen buttons along the bottom edge of the display, just below the cutouts.  The buttons function like this:

·         Left button will show any charging sources found associated with the given battery.

·         Right button will cycle between multiple batteries (if found)

·         Center button will cause display to wakeup and send out a ‘request for information’.  This will then wakeup any sleeping device (ala, a BMS) and cause it to start broadcasting status.

The software is a bit basic, and will improve over time.  To update these displays you will need a serial FTDI cable like this:  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9718   (There are others, this is just a USB to TTL Serial adapter – look around if you want and you can find solutions under $2)  Note that ‘pin 1’ is at the top of the cutout, I put a red Sharpie dot at that end as well.

OK, these have been talked about for a LONG time – and sorry, I have been sitting on these for a few weeks, so guess it is time to get them out.   Over the next few days I will be updating the Github repository with the small changes to the software I have been doing  (Mostly around rounding of numbers and doing some smoothing to make the display a bit more pleasing to the eye).  As well as a revised adapter board which will also have Terminator option (for these three I will include a small RJ45 plug that is a terminator).

And we will all await Gerald’s next batch on Tinder!

-al-

Dash Display.JPG
Battery Screen.JPG
Alt Screen.JPG

Al Thomason

Dec 14, 2018, 8:21:14 PM12/14/18
to Smart Alternator Regulator, Gerald Rubalcava

OK,

All gone.   For more – ping Gerald!  Anyone who missed the mark, I will refund your paypal transaction.

Thanks, and have fun!

-al-

Viking Star

45' Monk Sr. / McQueen