Volvo Penta Instrument Panel

Chris Jones

Feb 6, 2019, 9:47:40 AM2/6/19
to Smart Alternator Regulator
Just starting our "live" testing of our LiFePo4 battery system with VSR Alternator Regs.

Has anybody used the feature out (warning light mode) to link to the charge warning light on a Volvo Penta D2-55 (yr 2003) instrument panel?

The instrument panel is pretty standard across most of the Volvo engine range from around that period, it incorporates a warning light module with 4 warning lights (oil press, water temp, charge, pre heat) all in a sealed epoxy potted module block, obviously this incorporates some logic components to make all the lights operate correctly.

The wiring diagram shows an ignition switched feed to the D+ (field) terminal on the standard alternator, this feed has a 33 Ohm 9W resistor in line (described as a magnetising resistance). Obviously this is to ensure initial magnetisation of the field windings. From the same D+ terminal another wire goes back to the warning light module to operate the charge warning light.

My first attempt was to use the ignition switched feed wire as VSR regulator enable signal (via a relay) and then connect the "Feature Out" terminal to the warning light wire. I was not really surprised when this did not work!!  The enable part works perfectly it is the warning light part that fails!!

I thought I would ask the group if anyone else has already solved this problem before I start delving into the logic incorporated in the warning light module?

Thanks for any pointers, Chris

ben

Feb 10, 2019, 3:39:33 AM2/10/19
to Chris Jones, Smart Alternator Regulator
Hello Chris,

Below the diagram what is in the Volvo control panel, maybe this helps you.

In short, Volvo makes this circuitry I think, to don't have the beeping LOW OIL pressure sound if you turn ignition key in ON position.

Voltage for the buzzer comes from:
-test button
-OR from alternator D+

I don't like the design from this panel because, if alternator don't work you have also no low oil and temperature alarm.

What I did already on a few boats, disconnect contact 5, buzzer, and connect buzzer to  positive at top off Volvo panel.
With this rewiring, the oil and temp works as ""normal"".
But no Charge light.
This solve also a couple off problem on boats that had a irritating buzzer and alternator alarm if they run on low rpm.
This because the output from D+ was not high enough at low rpm.
(This was in combination that solar puts up the voltage to the batteries)

For the VSR regon, mainly I use also oil pressure switch. means that regulator startup start after oil pressure is buildup.
I connect the coil from a BOSCH car type relay one side on ignition + other side on contact 4
I use the NC contact from the relay; one side to ignition + other side from NC contact to Regon contact from VSR.

For the VSR not really necessary, because it has already a startup delay.
Startup delay I have programmed at 15 seconds.

Above, means NO indication light off alternator is working, but almost every boat has a battery monitor to see or alternator is charging.

Hope this helps you,

Ben

volvo penta dasboard box with lights control.PNG

Robin Szemeti

Feb 10, 2019, 9:30:24 AM2/10/19
to Smart Alternator Regulator
When I rebuilt my panel (as the tacho and lamp block had corroded) I simply wired diodes off the temp, oil and D+ to the buzzer ... you get a warning buzzer prior to starting, but that's OK,  in fact, its an advantage, and you get a warning buzzer if you leave the electrics on after stopping the engine, again an advantage.

Best regards,

Robin Szemeti

Redpoint Consulting Limited

E: ro...@redpoint.org.uk
T: +44 (0) 1299 405028
M: +44 (0) 7971 883371

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
confidential use of the above named recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient or person responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you have received this communication in error
and must not distribute or copy it.
Please accept the sender's apologies, notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail and delete this communication.

Thank you.
20181227_184503.jpg

Chris Jones

Feb 12, 2019, 1:12:21 PM2/12/19
to Smart Alternator Regulator
Hi Ben & Robin,

Thanks for the info and diagrams, I had already found the circuit diagram for the warning light module but the extra info is helpful. Obviously the charge light on the Volvo panel actually works the other way round to most charge warning lights. The Volvo panel feeds 12V to one side of the light so it is on when the alternator is not running due to the light being earthed through the field windings.
Since the VSR regulator "Feature Out" is pulled low when alternator is charging this does not work with the Volvo light. I think putting a relay in the circuit to change the signal from Low to High (and vice versa) will work OK, probably have to reduce the start delay time on the regulator so the light and alarm go off after a sensible time.

Should be able to test it in a couple of days so will report back with results.

Chris

Chris Jones

Feb 18, 2019, 1:19:57 PM2/18/19
to Smart Alternator Regulator
All sorted - fairly simple solution in the end with a relay switched by the Feature Out to give the correct signals to the Charge Warning Light. Wiring diagram attached for anyone who might be interested.
Only issue is that the VSR takes about 10 secs from startup until the Feature Out is switched so the warning light is on for this period and it is long enough for the alarm in the engine panel to sound. Alarm is only for a couple of seconds before Feature Out switches so is not really a big problem.

Chris
VSR To VolvoPentaLight.pdf