Personal Introduction

Steven Baker

Mar 19, 2011, 12:44:30 AM3/19/11
to smalltalk-marke...@googlegroups.com
Hello, folks.

Following Sean's lead, I'll introduce myself. In the next few days, I'll write up a more detailed example of what I'd like to see out of this group, the other groups that have since contacted me that we can work with, and how we best go about bringing Smalltalk to a wider audience.

I'm currently in Courtenay, BC, Canada, although I will be relocating to Lindsay, ON (150km north of Toronto) this summer to be closer to family.

I've been getting paid to write software professionally for the past 12-15 years depending on how much money it takes to be considered "professional." I first discovered Smalltalk before I ever got paid to write software, and dabbled in it periodically since. Several years ago, I got back into it heavily (for some personal products I'm developing) and have been especially interested in Seaside.

Since I want my future, and the futures of my cohorts, to be bright and sunny, I'm taking a personal interest in making sure that Smalltalk is a part of that future. With that goal, I created this list.

I love the communities around software. Almost all of my best friends, and my favourite people in life, I've met through my involvement with software. I want to make sure that I can continue to make great friends, and wonderful memories when I'm writing Smalltalk. I want everyone else to work towards that end as well.

-Steven

Geert Claes

Mar 22, 2011, 9:04:29 AM3/22/11
to smalltalk-marke...@googlegroups.com, Steven Baker
Ok, I am a Belgian currently living on the tiny Mediterranean island of Malta after having spent almost 10 years Australia.  I started my career in the Windows 95 era as a Powerbuilder programmer (if anyone still knows what that is) but moved away from coding quite a while ago.  I have since been earning a living as a Business/Systems Analyst, Information Architect, User Experience Designer and Interaction Designer.

I have seen so many projects struggle and/or fail in both Java as well as Microsoft's technologies.  I started looking for better ways to create web applications and started following Smalltalk via a short Ruby detour about 6 years ago.  I first followed Squeak before moving to Pharo, but I do follow all Smalltalk developments.  I have never been a fan of mailing lists and since mailing lists are the most common way a lot of Smalltalk implementations communicate, I took the initiative to group all Smalltalk mailing lists and make them available as an online forum using Nabble at forum.world.st.  About a year ago I also grouped all other Smalltalk related info I could find on a Google Sites website as the World of Smalltalk.

I follow Smalltalk because I reckon it has what it takes to become a RAD for web apps as a Smalltalk Platform as a Service and I'd like to help where I can.

jamesl

Mar 22, 2011, 5:17:34 PM3/22/11
to smalltalk-marketing-department
I'm James Ladd.
I'm passionate about programming languages and creating software that
engenders a positive experience for my Users.
I've always had a soft spot for Smalltalk.
I'm creating Redline Smalltalk to provide a Smalltalk on a widely used
platform to attract more people to Smalltalk.

Sean Allen

Mar 22, 2011, 10:06:26 PM3/22/11
to smalltalk-marke...@googlegroups.com, Geert Claes, Steven Baker
Geert,