GSOC 2013 - Debugger Improvements

Clara Allende

Apr 11, 2013, 3:22:40 PM4/11/13
to smalltalk-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi all! I'm Clara, I'm a 3rd year systems engineering student at National Technological Unniversity in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Currently I'm a Scala developer but I have programmed in VisualAge Smalltalk for IBM, and done (very) little contributions to the Pharo project, thanks to Guille Polito and some other fellows :)
What else? I have some experience programming in C, java, scala, haskell, prolog... dbs? SQL, mongodb... But in any case I'm a curious person and I like learning new stuff :)

So I'm eager to do some fun stuff with my dear Smalltalk, and I am particularly interested in working with the debugger :)
I have completed my profile on GSOC page, but I wanted to introduce myself here too :D

Well, I think that's it for now.

Cheers!

Igor Stasenko

Apr 11, 2013, 4:56:42 PM4/11/13
On 11 April 2013 21:22, Clara Allende <clari....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all! I'm Clara, I'm a 3rd year systems engineering student at National
> Technological Unniversity in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Currently I'm a Scala
> developer but I have programmed in VisualAge Smalltalk for IBM, and done
> (very) little contributions to the Pharo project, thanks to Guille Polito
> and some other fellows :)
> What else? I have some experience programming in C, java, scala, haskell,
> prolog... dbs? SQL, mongodb... But in any case I'm a curious person and I
> like learning new stuff :)
>
> So I'm eager to do some fun stuff with my dear Smalltalk, and I am
> particularly interested in working with the debugger :)

like this one?
http://gsoc2013.esug.org/projects/native-code-debugger

This is debugger for real. I see you have a wide range of experience , but
you miss working with machine code and low-level system programming :)

> I have completed my profile on GSOC page, but I wanted to introduce myself
> here too :D

You're welcome.

> Well, I think that's it for now.
>
> Cheers!
>
> --

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Clara Allende

Apr 11, 2013, 5:05:16 PM4/11/13
On 11 April 2013 17:56, Igor Stasenko <sigu...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 11 April 2013 21:22, Clara Allende <clari....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all! I'm Clara, I'm a 3rd year systems engineering student at National
> Technological Unniversity in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Currently I'm a Scala
> developer but I have programmed in VisualAge Smalltalk for IBM, and done
> (very) little contributions to the Pharo project, thanks to Guille Polito
> and some other fellows :)
> What else? I have some experience programming in C, java, scala, haskell,
> prolog... dbs? SQL, mongodb... But in any case I'm a curious person and I
> like learning new stuff :)
>
> So I'm eager to do some fun stuff with my dear Smalltalk, and I am
> particularly interested in working with the debugger :)

like this one?
http://gsoc2013.esug.org/projects/native-code-debugger

This is debugger for real. I see you have a wide range of experience , but
you miss working with machine code and low-level system programming :)

HAHAHA I have some sort of childhood traumas with C and low level system programming...
I like C, but I already have my fill :) (I have an assignment to develop a distributed system in C -  concurrency issues management, deadlock detection, memory management, that kind of stuff -  for a subject called Operating Systems).
Maybe working in some real stuff could be interesting, but I don't know if I'm ready for that yet :P

I was thinking of this one

but try and convince me, Igor :)

Igor Stasenko

Apr 12, 2013, 1:25:47 AM4/12/13
to smalltalk-g...@googlegroups.com
It is much easier , i would say. Because you get exactly what you put in.
In C you often can be surprised by compiler & syntax.

> I was thinking of this one
> http://gsoc2013.esug.org/projects/debugger-improvements
>
> but try and convince me, Igor :)

It is up to you, of course. I am not mentor of that project, but i
found that you might be one
who can do it.