working while offline

Stephen Schwerdfeger

Mar 2, 2015, 2:18:17 PM3/2/15
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
long time follower of Userland and Frontier, and all things Winer.... and shed a tear on his move from Berkeley to NYC (thank goodness for this internet thing), and long time outliner....

my question....  one of the reasons I like some tools like Simplenote or Evernote is the ability to work offline.... on an airplane, or trying to get some remote solitude camping, or anywhere away from home or office or other connectivity distractions....

how might one, or even, can one, use Fargo offline???

Dave Winer

Mar 2, 2015, 3:12:10 PM3/2/15
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen, I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I don't know how. ;-)

The best answer for off-line writing using Little Outliner. It works without a net connection.

It's the same outliner as Fargo, but in a different package.

Dave

Jeffrey Kishner

Mar 2, 2015, 5:26:39 PM3/2/15
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
http://littleoutliner.com uses html5 localStorage, so you ought to be able to build outlines off-line there (although I haven't tried), and then you can copy-paste into Fargo when you have an internet connection.

Stephen Schwerdfeger

Mar 2, 2015, 5:50:21 PM3/2/15
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com, da...@smallpicture.com
thank you, Dave, for the quick response.

I thought about Little Outliner... but I'm sure it's local storage is limited, although I don't know how or by what.  Might you know? or we could just try it and make a bigger and bigger outline and see if and when the browser chokes.  maybe the limitation is big enough that it's not a real limitation at all.

Stephen

Dave Winer

Mar 2, 2015, 5:53:57 PM3/2/15
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
Here's a stack overflow article on the subject.

Looks like it's 10MB. That's a very huge outline.

For comparison, my largest Fargo outline is 835K, that's all my blog posts for 2013.

Dave