Fargo 1.59

Dave Winer

May 20, 2014, 12:45:35 PM5/20/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
With this release there's a second version of the stream template, and the CMS generates a slightly different structure for streams. The JavaScript code in the stream template has been changed accordingly.

http://fargo.io/blog/2014/05/20/fargo159.html

But the look is new. It's a lot quieter. If you want a preview, have a look at Scripting News.

Dave

Frank McPherson

May 20, 2014, 1:12:35 PM5/20/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
#streamVersion "1" does not keep the background exactly the same. Specifically, the background for the text is gone, so if you have a dark background image it's hard to read text. How do I get it back exactly like it was before?

Dave Winer

May 20, 2014, 1:52:46 PM5/20/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
There was a bug and I fixed it, but it's not going to fix the whole thing. This is what you should do.

1. Reload Fargo to be sure you get a new version of the globals. The Fargo version will not change.

2. Rebuild a test page. My guess is that the image will go away and the text will look fine. This is just a guess.

However you will not have an image in the background. Please verify (carefully) that you did this, and what the result was.

Dave

Dave Winer

May 20, 2014, 2:19:03 PM5/20/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
Frank, you'll definitely want to add these two commands to your website.

It'll help us figure out what's going wrong.

Dave

Frank McPherson

May 20, 2014, 2:32:51 PM5/20/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
I've added the commands you provided, toggled between them, and that appears to have text rendering as I want. Is the purpose of #streamVersion to define the default condition when the site first loads? It appears the commands override that setting.

Dave Winer

May 20, 2014, 2:47:40 PM5/20/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
I verified that it seems to work as it's supposed to.

The default in version 2 is no images, in version 1 is as they were, with images.

So I guess it does determine the default, but it also determines other things. Fargo itself will generate a different HTML structure for the two versions. There was some cruft in the tree that wasn't necessary when things got cleaned out. But I wanted to be sure that if anyone had developed code on that structure that it would still work (by setting the version to 1).

This was a tight little corner-turn. I wanted to get a new look for Scripting News because there's a new art booting up now, and I want to be in front of the parade. ;-)

I think Scripting News, as it works now, is delicious.

Dave

Frank McPherson

May 20, 2014, 3:06:43 PM5/20/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
The new format does look really nice on smaller screens, particularly tablets. However, on larger & wider screens the extra white space (if you use a browser full screen or in large window) doesn't seem right to me. The background images help with that. To my surprise, I have grown fond of the background images. The images themselves form a story for each day.

Providing users the ability to select an option is nice. On the other hand, if you as a writer don't include a background image it doesn't matter whether one turns images on or off. :) However, I notice that with images off the text on your site is framed within a box that seems to help with the extra white space.

Ken Smith

May 20, 2014, 3:39:01 PM5/20/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
That is a beautiful screen capture you shared earlier, Dave:

Ken Smith

May 20, 2014, 3:45:37 PM5/20/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
I really like this new design step.

If you're into tweeking very minor things, I might add that on the Nav bar, to my eye Scripting News is perfectly centered vertically, while the next items there are a little high and the social media items at the end are a little low.

This 1.59 version is a dynamite design step, thanks.

Ken