notes from roundtable

Sharon Domier

May 10, 2021, 10:28:44 AM5/10/21
to Smalleacollections
Hello friends,

Anna asked if we had recorded the session, because of a time conflict she had missed most of it. We did not, because we wanted to make sure that everyone was comfortable speaking frankly. I did take notes though, so I will send these along here.

Small Collections Roundtable
Special Guest Hyoungbae Lee KCCNA
May 6, 2021

16 participants
Wei Wang, Kana Jenkins, Susan Chow, Yunshan Ye, Beth Katzoff, Xi Chen, Ping Situ, Runxiao Zhu, Mike Smith, Julie Wang, Yao Chen, Anling Yang, Hyoungbae Lee, Julie Wang, Vickie Fu Doll, Jade Atwill

KCCNA started in 1994 with Korea Foundation funding.
Build a collection of Korean studies materials - and make them available to anyone through Interlibrary loan.

There are 13 members at the moment including 1 in Canada. There are certain requirements that need to be met, so membership sometimes changes when a library can no longer meet the requirements.

One of the outreach components undertaken by KCCNA is the Aska A Korean Studies Librarian service. It is a virtual service that uses a shared email address. Each of the 13 members is responsible for answering inquiries for a month. But they all receive a copy of the inquiry email, so sometimes other members will send supplementary information. They will answer any questions related to Korean studies, including cataloging, romanization, e-books.
If they don’t know the answer, they will check with their contacts (including South Korea)

(bought libguides service with funding from Korea Foundation)

Okay to link to this guide from your Korean Studies guides

A couple of the roundtable members asked that an automated reply function to be turned on for this google group email, so that we know that our email got through (and possibly a note about a reply within xx days). Especially important for time sensitive questions like ILL requests or rush orders.

Does Korea Foundation still provide support for e-resources? Yes, but the amount of funding might be decreasing. The funds apparently come from monies raised from passport/visa applications - and the pandemic meant that the income decreased considerably.  Several small collection members reported that they had received funding yearly until this last year. At least one reported that the amount decreased but they did get. Annual evaluation to Korea Foundation reporting on user satisfaction and use is critical to continuing to get funding.
Apparently the form is cumbersome to fill out and needs to be filled out each year even though much of the data (course numbers) don’t change. Vickie recommends saving all the information in a text file so it is saved and can be copy and pasted more easily.

Some advice on making it easier for Korea Foundation to continue to be funded. Positive feedback and examples of how well the funds have been used to promote Korean Studies at your school.

Korean government personnel rotate pretty much every 3 years, so by the time you have prepared it for the third time, it is an entirely new person reading it. Please keep that in mind when you are corresponding with someone at either a Korean library or the Korean government.

On the topic of building Korean collections for small collections roundtable folks. If you don’t know, please look at the Books on Korea program.

Cap of about $2,000 per year.
Online profile so it is easy to update.

Excellent question - since positions rotate all the time, how do we address people? By their position? There is no information on their web pages.

Is it okay to ask a Korean book vendor for lists of new publications in a particular field?
Yes, absolutely. Many of the Korean studies librarians ask their vendors for help when they are building up new collections or filling in gaps.

Do you facilitate interlibrary loan between US and Korea?

RISS  - does ILL for scans of requests.

je...@keris.or.kr  for RISS International membership and ILL services

National Library membership - once you get the membership (on site) then after you can use e-resources remotely as well. So recommend to anyone who has Korean citizenship/address to sign up for a car/membership while they are there.

There have been a number of task forces to negotiate consortial packages for database packages. Push by both sides - vendor wants to increase. Consortium wants to keep prices low.
DBpia - core packages, essential, options - selected by vendor not librarian.
eKorean Studies - negotiations have been very difficult.
The Korean studies librarians are always talking with each other and keeping in touch on price negotiations. But if there are any problems, the members of the consortium will be on it.

National Library of Korea - digital library. You must have a dedicated computer and sign an agreement and follow the strict guidelines (no saving documents, no printing documents, no emailing documents)...

exch...@korea.kr for LK Digital Library access

Approval plan vendors - not really anything if you are talking about physical books being sent over on approval. None of the Korean vendors have American warehouses.
Kong & Park is the only one who might be able to do something similar.
If you are interested in lists, you can contact the vendors and ask for lists, but it is a manual operation and not physical approvals the way that people are used to.

National Library of Korea
And National Assembly Library

Note - I have a follow-up email from Vickie about NKL’s digitized materials that I will forward with her permission.

Thank you all for attending today’s roundtable discussion. We had a really fruitful discussion and I hope that we can do it again soon.  If there are other organizations or topics that you would like to see brought forward to the group (along with a suggest of a good contact person), don’t hesitate to let Xi, Julie or myself know.

Notes taken by Sharon Domier