Small Collections group of CEAL

Sharon Domier

Jul 11, 2014, 11:41:13 AM7/11/14
to Smalleacollections

Dear friends,

This year the Small Collections Roundtable celebrated its 10th birthday. I remember the first meeting we had when 40 librarians came. Less than 10 were from small collections, and the rest were simply librarians who were interested in an opportunity to learn more and talk about issues. Over the years we have tried to define ourselves more clearly and to limit the size and types of participants so we get the most out of our limited time together. But I feel like I am working from a sense of what I think people want, rather than a clear vote or survey. I think Julie Wang and Xi Chen have similar impressions, but it is time to really talk it through and come up with a plan for moving forward.

Ellen Hammond is the current president of CEAL. She has been working on regularizing operations, updating bylaws, and clarifying and documenting old traditions. One area that the Board has recently discussed is the procedure and process for establishing new listservs that fall under CEAL.

This affects us and relates as well to some of the questions that have been floating in the back of my mind. We are an affiliate group (originally under the sponsorship of the Committee on Public Services) that needs to be reviewed and renewed every 3 years. We need to send in an annual report. We need to post information about our mailing list.

Could we discuss this among the current members of the Small Collections Roundtable and then come up with a common understanding that the coordinators (Xi Chen and Julie Wang, and myself as the birth mother) can take back to the CEAL Executive Board.

1.       What is the purpose of the Small Collections Roundtable?

2.       What are the membership qualifications?

3.       How do we feel about vendors/organizations attending and participating in discussions?

And… do you want to differentiate between our in-person meetings and the mailing list?

Once we make a decision, then we will need to get board approval and post the information to eastlib.

Please speak up. The Small Collections Roundtable needs to be useful.

Sharon Domier

Reference: Guidelines for CEAL-Sponsored Moderated Mailing Lists

Guidelines for CEAL-sponsored Moderated Mailing Lists

These guidelines are relevant to moderated mailing lists that may be established by CEAL committees to communicate information relevant to their work.  The guidelines do not apply to group discussion lists established by CEAL committees to work on projects or discuss committee work.  They also do not apply to group mailing lists maintained by CEAL members that may be used to discuss specific consortial database arrangements or negotiations.)

1.        A CEAL committee may establish a moderated mailing list relevant to its work, with the approval of the Executive Board.

2.       The committee chair will be the official sponsor but may delegate the role of moderator.

3.       The working language for the lists will be English.

5.       All CEAL members will be eligible to participate in CEAL-sponsored mailing lists.   The sponsor may decide to open membership to other individuals if that serves the goals of the committee.

6.       Mailing list participants should be asked to observe good etiquette about what to contribute to a public forum.

7.       Mailing lists may be hosted at any CEAL member’s institution.  The CEAL site page mentioned above will contain a link to the archive of the mailing lists maintained at the host institution.

Sharon Domier

Jul 14, 2014, 12:16:01 PM7/14/14
to Smalleacollections

Just a quick update – please reply to me directly since you can’t see who is on this mailing list. At the moment I couldn’t tell you myself. I would need to do some digging.

I am more interested in your honest thoughts on how to make the Small Collections group meaningful and useful. I can compile the information, summarize it and remove all names before sharing it back with you.

Sharon Domier

sdo...@library.umass.edu

Please visit Small East Asia Collection at
http://groups.google.com/group/smalleacollections?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Smalleacollections" group.