Five Microcap / Small Cap mutual funds found here

raylopez99

Apr 12, 2008, 10:21:33 AM4/12/08
to Small Microcap Value
Below are five micro/small cap mutual funds I've found. Most have $3k
minimums.

Keep in mind micro/small caps have actually performed as well as mid-
to-large caps *if* you strip out data from January (the famous
"January effect" discovered in the early 1980s) *or* you ignore
certain crucial years from the late 1970s (yes, 70s) to the early
1980s when micro-and-small caps increased in price greatly. Of course
this is 'data mining'. As recited in the excellent book by Jeremy
Siegal "Stocks for the Long Run".

RL

Microcap: blended value, grwth microcap is BRSIX Bridgeway Ultra-Small
Company Market ( MUTF:BRSIX ) w/ 0.65% exp ratio, good alpha and .8
beta Morningstar recommended, needs $2k min initial investment

Vanguard Small Cap Index ( MUTF:NAESX ) - 0.2 exp ratio, 3k min
initial investment- best small cap (as opposed to micro-cap small caps
micro caps ) offering

Powershares Microcap is: PZI, which is the most recent of all (just 7
months in the market), the only data I could get is that the Average
Price/Earnings ratio (trailing earnings) is also 19.6.

Vanguard Small Cap Growth Index VISGX - $3k min. initial req., also
over 5 years is 15.4%/yr, 1% more than bogey, Morningstar recommends,
despite it being a "growth" small cap which historically is bad--this
is not a passive index however, as Vanguard employs a screen to rotate
out the losers.

Shares Russell Microcap Index IWC

Morningstar's Take | 11-28-2006 by Annie Sorich
Despite its curb appeal, investors don't need iShares Russell Microcap
To many investors, micro-cap stocks sound sexy. Ranging in market cap
from $50 to $500 million, these stocks are often not covered by
analysts at big investment banks, making
these stocks potential hidden gems. But the quest for a diamond in the
rough comes with noteworthy risks.

raylopez99

Apr 12, 2008, 11:33:45 AM4/12/08
to Small Microcap Value

On Apr 12, 10:21 am, raylopez99 <raylope...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Below are five micro/small cap mutual funds I've found.  Most have $3k
> minimums.

Some more:

Morningstar, April 2008: As small caps continue to cool off in the
current environment, a smattering of closed funds that traffic in
small and midsized companies have swung their doors open. Pioneer Oak
Ridge Small Cap Growth (ORIGX Sponsored by:
ORIGX), run by David Klaskin, cofounder and chief investment officer
of subadvisor Oak Ridge Investments, is among the latest to accept new
investors. Klaskin's low-turnover, value-conscious style may be less
aggressive than some growth managers', but it's kept volatility muted
relative to racier peers and offered reasonable downside protection.
Pioneer initially closed this offering to new investors when assets
reached $225 million in late May 2005, and they remain near that level
today.

Delaware Small Cap Value (DEVLX DEVLX) has also reopened, but we're
a bit skeptical about this move. Although it has seen net redemptions
in recent months, lead manager Christopher Beck is still running
roughly $1.9 billion in this strategy (down from $2.5 billion as of
Nov. 30, 2006), and the fund's profile has tilted toward larger
companies in recent years as a result. Given its penchant for larger
names, the fund may not be suitable for investors seeking pure small-
cap exposure.

raylopez99

Apr 12, 2008, 11:52:43 AM4/12/08
to Small Microcap Value

On Apr 12, 11:33 am, raylopez99 <raylope...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 12, 10:21 am, raylopez99 <raylope...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Below are five micro/small cap mutual funds I've found. Most have $3k
> > minimums.
>
> Some more:

Wasatch Advisors has also recently reopened a quartet of funds focused
on smaller companies: small-growth funds Wasatch Ultra Growth (WAMCX
WAMCX) and Small Cap Growth (WAAEX Sponsored by: WAAEX - 1.2%
expense ratio), as well as Wasatch Core Growth (WGROX Sponsored
by: WGROX) and small-blend Wasatch Small Cap Value (WMCVX
WMCVX). Wasatch is a highly regarded small-cap research group, so
these funds have a strong research backbone behind them. We're also
encouraged Wasatch has shown commitment to fundholders by closing
funds in the past at reasonable levels.