[slurm-users] Slurm interactive job not populating all groups

Russell Jones

May 10, 2021, 10:58:36 AM5/10/21
to Slurm User Community List
Hello,

We have a few users we are needing to add to the local "video" group of a specific set of compute nodes. When submitting a job, slurm appears to not be populating that local group to their list of groups. For example, an interactive job (srun --pty bash -l) is resulting in a bash shell on that node with all of their LDAP groups populated, but not the groups from the local /etc/group file on the node. If they SSH to the node outside of Slurm, both the local and LDAP groups get populated properly.

How do I resolve this issue and get Slurm to populate the local groups as well?

Thanks!

Brian Andrus

May 10, 2021, 12:27:15 PM5/10/21
to slurm...@lists.schedmd.com

Quick question:

Are you using nss_slurm?

enable_nss_slurm
Permits passwd and group resolution for a job to be serviced by slurmstepd rather than requiring a lookup from a network based service. See https://slurm.schedmd.com/nss_slurm.html for more information.

That could explain it.

Brian Andrus

Russell Jones

May 10, 2021, 4:10:04 PM5/10/21
to Slurm User Community List
Thanks!

No, we are not. The compute nodes are also properly configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf with "sss" first, and then files for passwd, group. (It's not pure LDAP. We're using FreeIPA)

Brian Andrus

May 10, 2021, 4:23:34 PM5/10/21
to slurm...@lists.schedmd.com

Ah.

You should put files first. Otherwise, if it finds an entry in SSS, that takes precedence and the local groups/users will not be seen.

Brian Andrus

Russell Jones

May 12, 2021, 9:33:39 AM5/12/21
to Slurm User Community List
Thanks! I have given that a try and unfortunately it still has not resolved the issue. Regular SSH login = all groups get populated, interactive slurm bash session = only IPA groups get populated.

Any other ideas? I think that was a good shot to try for sure.