[slurm-users] Slurm.conf and workers

Xaver Stiensmeier via slurm-users

Apr 15, 2024, 5:57:39 AMApr 15
to slurm...@lists.schedmd.com
Dear slurm-user list,

as far as I understood it, the slurm.conf needs to be present on the
master and on the workers at slurm.conf (if no other path is set via
SLURM_CONF). However, I noticed that when adding a partition only in the
master's slurm.conf, all workers were able to "correctly" show the added
partition when calling sinfo on them.

Is the stored slurm.conf on every instance just a fallback for when
connection is down or what is the purpose? The documentation only says:
"This file should be consistent across all nodes in the cluster."

Best regards,
Xaver

Brian Andrus via slurm-users

Apr 15, 2024, 10:08:27 AMApr 15
to slurm...@lists.schedmd.com
Xaver,

If you look at your slurmctld log, you likely end up seeing messages
about each node's slurm.conf not being the same as that on the master.

So, yes, it can work temporarily, but unless there are some very
specific settings done, issues will arise. The state you are in now, you
will want to sync the config across all nodes and then 'scontrol
reconfigure'

You may want to look into configless if you can set DNS entries and your
config is basically monolithic or all parts are in /etc/slurm/

Brian Andrus