[slurm-users] any way to allow interactive jobs or ssh in Slurm 23.02 when node is draining?

Robert Kudyba via slurm-users

Apr 19, 2024, 4:46:23 PMApr 19
to Slurm User Community List
We use Bright Cluster Manager with SLurm 23.02 on RHEL9. I know about pam_slurm_adopt https://slurm.schedmd.com/pam_slurm_adopt.html which does not appear to come by default with the Bright 'cm' package of Slurm.

Currently ssh to a node gets:
Login not allowed: no running jobs and no WLM allocations

We have 8 GPUs on a node so when we drain a node, which can have up to a 5 day job, no new jobs can run. And since we have 20+ TB (yes TB) local drives, researchers have their work and files on them to retrieve.

Is there a way to use /etc/security/access.conf to work around this at least temporarily until the reboot and then we can revert?

Thanks!

Rob

Luke Sudbery via slurm-users

May 9, 2024, 5:12:20 AMMay 9
to Robert Kudyba, Slurm User Community List

Draining a node will not stop someone logging on via pam_slurm_adopt.

If they have a running job, and can log on when the node is not draining, then they can log on when it is draining.

If they don’t have a running job, they can’t log on whether it is draining or not.

If you want people to be able to log on when they don’t have a job running, you could put them in a group which is given access in access.conf and PAM, as explained here: https://slurm.schedmd.com/pam_slurm_adopt.html#admin_access

Cheers,

Luke

--

Luke Sudbery

Principal Engineer (HPC and Storage).

Architecture, Infrastructure and Systems

Advanced Research Computing, IT Services

Room 132, Computer Centre G5, Elms Road

Please note I don’t work on Monday.

May 13, 2024, 4:28:31 PMMay 13
to Luke Sudbery, Slurm User Community List
Thanks for the reply, Luke. I also found that with Bright they have a file called /etc/security/pam_bright.d/pam_whitelist.conf that can be used to allow access.