[slurm-users] slurm comunication between versions

Felix

Nov 23, 2023, 12:15:11 PM11/23/23
to Slurm User Community List
Hello

I have a curiosity and question in the same time,

Will slurm-20.02 which is installed on a management node comunicate with
slurm-22.05 installed on a work nodes?

They have the same configuration file slurm.conf

Or do the version have to be the same. Slurm 20.02 was installed
manually and slurm 22.05 was installed through dnf.

Thank you

Felix

--
Dr. Eng. Farcas Felix
National Institute of Research and Development of Isotopic and Molecular Technology,

Ole Holm Nielsen

Nov 24, 2023, 2:20:28 AM11/24/23
to slurm...@lists.schedmd.com
Hi Felix,

On 11/23/23 18:14, Felix wrote:
> Will slurm-20.02 which is installed on a management node comunicate with
> slurm-22.05 installed on a work nodes?
>
> They have the same configuration file slurm.conf
>
> Or do the version have to be the same. Slurm 20.02 was installed manually
> and slurm 22.05 was installed through dnf.

It is only possible for Slurm versions in a cluster to differ by 2 major
versions. The 22.05 slurmctld can therefore only work with slurmd 22.05,
21.08 and 20.11. The documentation is in
https://slurm.schedmd.com/quickstart_admin.html#upgrade

My Slurm Wiki page explains the details of how to upgrade Slurm versions:
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/Niflheim_system/Slurm_installation/#upgrading-slurm

Please note that the current version of Slurm is now 23.11, and that only
23.11 and 23.02 are supported. There are important security fixes that
makes it important to upgrade to a supported version of Slurm.

I hope this will help you to make the upgrades.

Best regards,
Ole

Ryan Novosielski

Nov 24, 2023, 3:28:37 AM11/24/23
to Slurm User Community List
What do you mean by management node, slurmctld? Or just a node with the client software on it?

--
#BlackLivesMatter
____
||_// the State  |         Ryan Novosielski - novo...@rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ  | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB A555B, Newark
     `'