[slurm-users] problem with squeue --json with version 24.05.1

Markus Köberl via slurm-users

Jul 2, 2024, 12:51:20 PMJul 2
to slurm...@lists.schedmd.com
$ squeue --version
slurm 24.05.1

$ squeue --json
malloc(): invalid size (unsorted)
Aborted

forcing an older data_parser version works:
$ squeue --json=v0.0.40

regards
Markus Köberl
--
Markus Koeberl
Graz University of Technology

Joshua Randall via slurm-users

Jul 3, 2024, 7:28:22 AMJul 3
to spsc-s...@mlist.tugraz.at, Markus Köberl, slurm...@lists.schedmd.com
Markus,

I had a similar problem after upgrading from v23 to v24 but found that
specifying _any_ valid data version worked for me, it was only
specifying `--json` without a version that triggered an error (which
in my case was I believe a segfault from sinfo rather than a malloc
error from squeue - but as these are both memory issues it seems
possible they could both potentially arise from the same underlying
library issue presenting differently in different CLI tools). So the
underlying issue _may_ be with the logic that attempts to determine
what the latest data version is and to load that, whereas specifying
any valid version explicitly may work.

Are you able to run `squeue --json=v0.0.41` successfully?

Cheers,

Josh.

--
Dr. Joshua C. Randall
Principal Software Engineer
> --

Altos Labs UK Limited | England | Company reg 13484917
Registered
address: 3rd Floor 1 Ashley Road, Altrincham, Cheshire, United Kingdom,
WA14 2DT

Markus Köberl via slurm-users

Jul 3, 2024, 9:14:53 AMJul 3
to Joshua Randall, slurm...@lists.schedmd.com
On Wednesday, 3 July 2024 13:26:25 CEST Joshua Randall wrote:
> Markus,
>
> I had a similar problem after upgrading from v23 to v24 but found that
> specifying _any_ valid data version worked for me, it was only
> specifying `--json` without a version that triggered an error (which
> in my case was I believe a segfault from sinfo rather than a malloc
> error from squeue - but as these are both memory issues it seems
> possible they could both potentially arise from the same underlying
> library issue presenting differently in different CLI tools). So the
> underlying issue _may_ be with the logic that attempts to determine
> what the latest data version is and to load that, whereas specifying
> any valid version explicitly may work.
>
> Are you able to run `squeue --json=v0.0.41` successfully?

It seams to be a problem only with squeue and data parser version v0.0.41
only, it also affects 24.05.0 the same way.

$ squeue --json=v0.0.41
malloc(): corrupted top size
Aborted

data parser version v0.0.40 works, v0.0.39 does not return anything.

regards
Markus
signature.asc

Ümit Seren via slurm-users

Jul 3, 2024, 9:36:31 AMJul 3
to Markus Köberl, Joshua Randall, slurm...@lists.schedmd.com

We experience the same issue.

SLURM 24.05.1 segfaults with squeue –json and squeue --json=v0.0.41 but works with squeue --json=v0.0.40

Ole Holm Nielsen via slurm-users

Jul 3, 2024, 10:57:09 AMJul 3
to slurm...@lists.schedmd.com
On 7/2/24 18:48, Markus Köberl via slurm-users wrote:
> $ squeue --version
> slurm 24.05.1
>
> $ squeue --json
> malloc(): invalid size (unsorted)
> Aborted
>
> forcing an older data_parser version works:
> $ squeue --json=v0.0.40

The minimum version requirements are listed in the rest_quickstart
guide[1]: HTTP Parser (>= v2.6.0), LibYAML (optional, >= v0.2.5), JSON-C
(>= v1.12.0).

Best regards,
Ole

[1] https://slurm.schedmd.com/rest_quickstart.html#prereq