[slurm-users] How to run a job at the end of a set of jobs

David Henkemeyer

May 9, 2022, 5:51:14 PM5/9/22
to Slurm User Community List
Prologue is a feature whereby I can run something after a single job.  Is there a best practice for running a job after a set of jobs?

We submit a bunch of jobs to a bunch of nodes, and after all the jobs are done, we would like to submit a "utility job" on each node, but it has to be the last job.  What would be the various ways to achieve this?

Thanks
David

mercan

May 9, 2022, 7:11:13 PM5/9/22
to Slurm User Community List, David Henkemeyer
Instead of the using the epilog script, You can use the -d (
--dependency) feature of the sbatch:

https://slurm.schedmd.com/sbatch.html

It supports to run a job after finished multiple jobs.

Regards;

Ahmet M.

West, Matthew

May 9, 2022, 8:28:28 PM5/9/22
to Slurm User Community List
Hi David,

I would recommend using one of the many workflow management systems (WMS) that can define job dependencies programmatically rather than fuss with base Slurm commands. Some examples I have used or have been recommended to me:

Each of these runs in production on a number of major projects and has active support from developers. Making a pipeline DAG makes managing jobs and rerunning tests so much nicer. No reason to write from scratch what already exists.

Cheers,
Matt West